Trike front tire - narrow versus wide

riderdave

Sep 10, 2013
Tyler, Tx, USA
Need some guidance help here. Currently running a narrow 120/70/19 front tire on a Harley ultra motor trike . Was wondering if anyone had an opinion on using narrow front tire versus fat front tire. Trying to improve handling in corners. At present, when powering out of a curve the front seems a bit light and wants to skip unless I back off a little. Would a "fatter" front tire help?? Thanks

Need some guidance help here. Currently running a narrow 120/70/19 front tire on a Harley ultra motor trike . Was wondering if anyone had an opinion on using narrow front tire versus fat front tire. Trying to improve handling in corners. At present, when powering out of a curve the front seems a bit light and wants to skip unless I back off a little. Would a "fatter" front tire help?? Thanks

Yea .. a little .. "skip" is kinda common on the trikes ... a fatter flatter front tire would work better, the wide round is not needed as the trike doesn't lean ... I'm hoping Avon comes out with a trike designed front tire for the hd's ... in the meantime, I'll be going with a rear mounted backwards for better handling when I need a new tire.

I might be wrong, But i would think a wider/fatter front tire would make the steering harder/heavy.. As it is now a lot of first time Trikers complain the steering is hard/heavy with the stock tire...:Shrug:
Just to add i had a 2013 sportster with a fat front tire and you had to really force it into turns...

A larger front tire will help with that.
I have a 110 x 19 on the super glide trike and it will slide if I hit a curve too hard.
If possible go to a 130 tire, our goldwing doesn't do it but the mystery super glide with a 110x19 front tire does it

I had a stock sporty tire on mine when I first got it, put 300 miles on it and decided it needed to go. Upgraded to a fatter tire and no longer feel like every rock in the road is bumping my tire around.

I might be wrong, But i would think a wider/fatter front tire would make the steering harder/heavy.. As it is now a lot of first time Trikers complain the steering is hard/heavy with the stock tire...:Shrug:
Just to add i had a 2013 sportster with a fat front tire and you had to really force it into turns...

If you noticed ... I said fatter flatter tire ... easy mistake.

Our SG has a 130/70/18 front tire and steering effort is very linear and precise. It's gonna get a good workout next month in the TX Hill Country so I'll know more about it,then.

Yea .. a little .. "skip" is kinda common on the trikes ... a fatter flatter front tire would work better, the wide round is not needed as the trike doesn't lean ... I'm hoping Avon comes out with a trike designed front tire for the hd's ... in the meantime, I'll be going with a rear mounted backwards for better handling when I need a new tire.

They now have an 18" and a 16" (OEM Tri Glide size)

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruiser-touring-custom/cobra-trike

Bob :Dorag:

Yes a fatter front tire will improve handling in corners on dry pavement, may hydroplane sooner on wet. Hannigan has a 180 Front End package for HD's. Excellent mileage from tire. Wide footprint on road.

I've been running a rear tire, reversed, on the front for about 12,000 miles now.

Not only is the rubber holding up really well...I may get 25-30k out of it. The most I've gotten out of the stock tire is 18k.

It also has far more grip than the stock front tire. I've ridden in several downpours, and it does better than the stock tire, even in 2 inches of water.

It is the Dunlop American Elite, MT90 B16, and is wider than the stock front tire.

Kevin

rEvers ed rear tire

I've been running a reartire, reversed, on the front for about 12,000 miles now.

Not only is the rubber holding up really well...I may get 25-30k out of it. The most I've gotten out of the stock tire is 18k.

It also has far more grip than the stock front tire. I've ridden in several downpours, and it does better than the stock tire, even in 2 inches of water.

It is the Dunlop American Elite, MT90 B16, and is wider than the stock front tire.

Kevin
What is the point in reversing a rear tire when installed on the front of a trike?Trying to get fimilar before I buy my trike.

What is the point in reversing a rear tire when installed on the front of a trike?Trying to get fimilar before I buy my trike.

There is quite a bit written about it, but the basic premise is that the rear tire is spliced together with acceleration in mind, so when putting in on the front, the splice should be for braking force, thus the reason for reversing it.

My concern was the tread for the rear might not channel the water well when it is reversed up front. That has not been my experience. With the tire I'm running, it does better in the rain than the stock one.

Kevin

Because of limited selection,I'm just not a fan of 19" bike tires. However,here's a option I would look at,Dave.
https://www.denniskirk.com/544553.s...Loaxkdwqco9soPj39_107TnsyTiKWzECPdBoCl9jw_wcB

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png