Need help with TrikeTek C2 schematics/ mercedes turbo smart car engine

lauriedarling

Dec 14, 2014
Santa Rosa
Need help with TrikeTek C2 schematics/ mercedes turbo smart car engine

Hello out there. I ride a used 2005 TrikeTek C2 which has a mercedes smart car turbo engine. I do not have any schematics and need some help. I left the lights on and it died. We recharged the batttery, it holds a charge but the display flashes a "key". We have no idea what this means. When turning the key on it clicks but will not turn over the engine. My husband jumped the cylinoid and it turns over but won't stay running. I am extremely sad as I lost an entire beautiful weekend with no riding. It is at the shop and they have no clue???

Any words of wisdom? Anyone familiar with a mercedes 698 cm, 61 hp, 6 speed automatic engine and what the codes mean????

First off i'm in no way familiar with your trike so this is an educated guess.It sounds like the trike has an anti theft system similar to an auto and for some reason is not recognizing your key as the proper one.I realize it the key turns but the computer thinks its the wrong one.

Good to know

First off i'm in no way familiar with your trike so this is an educated guess.It sounds like the trike has an anti theft system similar to an auto and for some reason is not recognizing your key as the proper one.I realize it the key turns but the computer thinks its the wrong one.
Hi Marc:

Thanks for the lead, I will pass it on tomorrow. Have a great evening!

Quick trip to the internet and it looks like there is no US distribution and most articles are from Germany. You may have to make contact in Germany. It does sound like some security issue.

I have driven smart cars for many years. When you turn the key you have to put your foot on the brake to start it. This is an anti theft idea. Would this help? :clapping:

You might take a look at a Can-Am Spyder RT schematic; the Spyder has a DESS module which connects with the smart-key through the ignition switch. Many owners of late models units have complained about the key not working and getting error codes. If you saw how the module tied into the ignition switch and you have a "smart key" which has a chip that must be recognized by the system, you could just pull out the ignition switch after figuring out where the wires led and replace all that junk with a generic ignition switch and toss whatever module and the old switch/key out. The wires on the back of your current switch likely have one fat one which carries the bulk of voltage and some somewhat smaller ones that are switched VDC circuits. One of the reasons I let my Spyder go was the lack of trust for all those "modules" which add complexity without corresponding benefit as most problems with the vehicle are tied to this electronic gadgetry.

Thank you everyone - it's fixed and I feel stupid

Hello Everyone. Thanks for all the tips. After spending hours on the internet researching, even talking with the company in Germany who could offer no help, we were about ready to just replace the entire engine, transmission, and comuter with something that could be worked on locally when my hubby decided to start from the very basic and work his way through the entire system. He picked the trike up from the shop, replaced the battery in the remote control, alarm and THE TRIKE STARTED!!!!!!!! It was the alarm battery (we did not even know it had an alarm) that died and therefore caused the trike not to start. We feel very stupid at this point and even are very disappointed that the mechanic did not even suggest this from the start (maybe he just wanted to research and collect some money???)

Lesson learned for us. Don't panic and assume the worst.

I feel blessed that I did did not have to spend thousands on a new Trike, engine, motor, etc. The alarm/key battery cost $10.00. The mechanic charged $200 to tell me he could not figure it out. My husband ROCKS for figuring it out!! I owe him one, or two, or three!

Hello out there. I ride a used 2005 TrikeTek C2 which has a mercedes smart car turbo engine. I do not have any schematics and need some help. I left the lights on and it died. We recharged the batttery, it holds a charge but the display flashes a "key". We have no idea what this means. When turning the key on it clicks but will not turn over the engine. My husband jumped the cylinoid and it turns over but won't stay running. I am extremely sad as I lost an entire beautiful weekend with no riding. It is at the shop and they have no clue???

Any words of wisdom? Anyone familiar with a mercedes 698 cm, 61 hp, 6 speed automatic engine and what the codes mean????

I am looking at buying one like yours. What do you think of them?

Key symbol

Hi. That is because the SAM unit has lost its coding to the key . It shows the immobilizer is not being "released". You either need to find someone to code the keys OR buy an ECU/SAM/SPEEDO head and a key set. I have just had to do exactly this on one here in England

Hi. That is because the SAM unit has lost its coding to the key . It shows the immobilizer is not being "released". You either need to find someone to code the keys OR buy an ECU/SAM/SPEEDO head and a key set. I have just had to do exactly this on one here in England

Ian… Welcome to Trike Talk 👍👍..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png