Tuner or Inline Enrichment Device?

Thor

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it. With the mods Gigi has (I'll list in a sec), I'm certain it's running lean. Old owner has SE Tuner, but it apparently "disappeared" when he traded bike in (we have a mutual friend, and we've talked a few times). So, right now Gigi has decatted headpipe, Python Predator slip-ons, open A/C (K&N), and that's all I honestly plan on doing performance-wise...I'm disabled, so budget is quite tight.
I did run adjustable IEDs on old bike (that stayed stock save for a slip-on set), and I've also run Vance&Hines fuelpak on my older StreetGlide(rip), and was happy with both. So....think IEDs will be satisfactory, or should I keep putting some green away and get Fuelpak?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Title pretty much says it. With the mods Gigi has (I'll list in a sec), I'm certain it's running lean. Old owner has SE Tuner, but it apparently "disappeared" when he traded bike in (we have a mutual friend, and we've talked a few times). So, right now Gigi has decatted headpipe, Python Predator slip-ons, open A/C (K&N), and that's all I honestly plan on doing performance-wise...I'm disabled, so budget is quite tight.
I did run adjustable IEDs on old bike (that stayed stock save for a slip-on set), and I've also run Vance&Hines fuelpak on my older StreetGlide(rip), and was happy with both. So....think IEDs will be satisfactory, or should I keep putting some green away and get Fuelpak?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Did you add the exhaust and air cleaner modifications, or did it have them when you took delivery of it? IMO, if you could get together with the old owner and meet at the dealer to deliver a beating about the missing tuner. If it was flashed with the SE tuner and the previous owner included it with the trade, I'd be putting the dealer's feet to the fire wanting either the one which was traded in with the trike, or a new replacement.

Now, it is possible the dealer disposed of the tuner and flashed the factory ECM back to either stock or stage 1.

Now, it is possible the dealer disposed of the tuner and flashed the factory ECM back to either stock or stage 1.

That's what happened with my 07 Ultra ... traded it in with the race tuner ... HD flashed to stage 1 and discarded the tuner ... I know this because the new owner ran into me and asked about heat issues ... My 07 was the coolest running HD I ever owned, with the possible exception of my 15 Tri ... he was p o'd, but had no recourse. I asked HD about it and was told it was their policy to "return to stock" ... silly ... $700 of tuner and dynoing for not ... the story does have a sorta happy ending ... I still had a copy of the tune, gave it to him and he bought a new tuner and had it re installed.

That's what happened with my 07 Ultra ... traded it in with the race tuner ... HD flashed to stage 1 and discarded the tuner ... I know this because the new owner ran into me and asked about heat issues ... My 07 was the coolest running HD I ever owned, with the possible exception of my 15 Tri ... he was p o'd, but had no recourse. I asked HD about it and was told it was their policy to "return to stock" ... silly ... $700 of tuner and dynoing for not ... the story does have a sorta happy ending ... I still had a copy of the tune, gave it to him and he bought a new tuner and had it re installed.

I know I wouldn't have rewarded that dealer with the sale of the new tuner, I'd have not walked through their doors again. I know the dealer I used to do business with never messed with tuned bikes. If it came with a tuner, it was sold with that tuner. Only time I could see doing otherwise, would be to maintain a warranty or in communist states who rigorously enforce emissions laws.

I know I wouldn't have rewarded that dealer with the sale of the new tuner, I'd have not walked through their doors again. I know the dealer I used to do business with never messed with tuned bikes. If it came with a tuner, it was sold with that tuner. Only time I could see doing otherwise, would be to maintain a warranty or in communist states who rigorously enforce emissions laws.

I've only been to that dealer once since then ... to get a trike T my dealer didn't order.

Did you add the exhaust and air cleaner modifications, or did it have them when you took delivery of it? IMO, if you could get together with the old owner and meet at the dealer to deliver a beating about the missing tuner. If it was flashed with the SE tuner and the previous owner included it with the trade, I'd be putting the dealer's feet to the fire wanting either the one which was traded in with the trike, or a new replacement.

Old owner (Tom) added them. My story pretty much follows Fuzzy's circumstances. Don't have any recourse...for that time the trike is in their name, what they do with it is on them (I don't use them for anything, so going back is not a worry). I'm still left with do I add an VIED, or lay out money for a Fuelpak?

Old owner (Tom) added them. My story pretty much follows Fuzzy's circumstances. Don't have any recourse...for that time the trike is in their name, what they do with it is on them (I don't use them for anything, so going back is not a worry). I'm still left with do I add an VIED, or lay out money for a Fuelpak?

Since you're on a budget I'd go with the Xied.

Since you're on a budget I'd go with the Xied.

That's the direction I'm leaning....was just worried it wouldn't be enough for the pipe/AC/slip-on swap (I'll probably get the adjustable set again, just to give some leeway).

I installed the x14 ied's on my Sportster, seems to run cooler. Mpg hasn't changed.It ran fine before but I figured for $50,[used] why not.

Yeah, I like keeping some wiggle room in it...price isn't that much different, and there's no downside.

We have quite a few Customers running the FL-ViED-10's that are very happy with them.

Read more about them HERE.

They will definitely help, not as much as a FP3, TTS or Power Vision, but much better than a download or nothing.

Kevin

We have quite a few Customers running the FL-ViED-10's that are very happy with them.

Read more about them HERE.

They will definitely help, not as much as a FP3, TTS or Power Vision, but much better than a download or nothing.

Kevin

That's actually what I ran in the RoadGlide I just traded in (sadly, it didn't occur to me that I forgot to remove them until 4 days after doing the trade :gah:

Our trike only has a complete V&H exhaust and freer-flowing 2015 Rushmore air cleaner. I was leaning towards the FL-ViED-10 but really like the Power Vision,also. Because of the limited mods on our 103",is the PV necessary or just a luxury?

Our trike only has a complete V&H exhaust and freer-flowing 2015 Rushmore air cleaner. I was leaning towards the FL-ViED-10 but really like the Power Vision,also. Because of the limited mods on our 103",is the PV necessary or just a luxury?

Send an email to Nightrider and ask him. He is a super nice guy and will not steer you wrong. With your mods I am guessing it's all you need, unless that exhaust really performs.

The Power Vision is not necessary, but it will run better with the Power Vision than the FL-ViED-10.

Not that it will run bad with the FL-ViED-10, it will run noticeably better than the stock tune or a HD download.

Just like the FL-ViED-10 is a step above the stock tune, the Power Vision is a step above the FL-ViED-10.

It just depends on what you want, and what you are willing to spend.

There is a good overview of choices at this thread-

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/thre...ash-Tuners-Dyno-Tuning-Etc?highlight=overview

Our experience shows that the FL-ViED-10 is the best budget choice and the Power Vision is the best "top of the line" choice.

You can see info on both of them HERE, and always feel free to call or write with any questions.

Kevin

2014 - Decatted stock head pipe, stock mufflers, stock A/C, Nightrider FL-ViED-10s (at 50%) = Happy owners.

For me & my wife this was the simplest solution for a cooler & better running trike.

Bob :Dorag:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png