Tank lift....yay or nay?

Reaction score
Was fixing to order my IED's from DK and I started looking at the tank lifts. I have two quick questions:
1. I've read several reviews and they all say they cut back on the updraft that cones up between tank I batwing...is it noticable (to the point where it would feel like the fork mounted "dog dish" was there?)
2. What is the best (or max) height for a 2012 TG? 3" appears like it would interfere with bars, 1" seems too minimal...What seems to be the most common height?

Sorry if questions are redundant...I tried searching beforehand. Thanks for any help folks!

The 1.5" will do the job of exposing the chrome, making cleaning easier, helping the engine to run cooler, and reducing the amount of air coming over the top of the tank. It also gives you the most adjustment for the handlebars.

The 2" can fit, but reduces the amount of handlebar adjustment available. The difference in benefits between the 2" and 1.5" is insignificant, except in giving a little more room to clean the rocker covers.

In either case, get the deluxe option.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Touring-Model-Tank-Lift-Kit-DK-TRG-TLK.htm

I used to run a 2" on mine, changed to the 1.5" because I like to pull the handlebars back towards me a bit, and the 1.5" let me do that more.

Kevin

The 1.5" will do the job of exposing the chrome, making cleaning easier, helping the engine to run cooler, and reducing the amount of air coming over the top of the tank. It also gives you the most adjustment for the handlebars.

The 2" can fit, but reduces the amount of handlebar adjustment available. The difference in benefits between the 2" and 1.5" is insignificant, except in giving a little more room to clean the rocker covers.

In either case, get the deluxe option.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Touring-Model-Tank-Lift-Kit-DK-TRG-TLK.htm

I used to run a 2" on mine, changed to the 1.5" because I like to pull the handlebars back towards me a bit, and the 1.5" let me do that more.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin (and all those that replied)! Definitely ordering it tonite. I'll probably get the 2", as I never pull the handlebars back (if they go any direction, they're going up :) ) ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

Good choice

Here are pics. of my 2" Lift I really like it becareful position tank to clear switch other than that great mod.

Attachments

• DSC00113.JPG
    DSC00113.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC00125.JPG
    DSC00125.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 335
No problem

need anything just ask more than glad to help make sure you get the deluxe option it raises the rear of the tank, I'm going to raise mine a little more this winter trying to help fuel gauge a little. :) ride safely fearless.
p.s. Also I installed Chrome Werks 2+2 wide sweepers no interference with tank.

Attachments

• DSC00124.JPG
    DSC00124.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 319
I also have the 1 1/2" deluxe kit installed, it made a world of difference concerning the airflow, no more buffeting in the head area for me.

I also have the 1 1/2" deluxe kit installed, it made a world of difference concerning the airflow, no more buffeting in the head area for me.

Buffeting isnt an issue for me since putting the higher shield on, mine is the updraft...combined with a beard and, well...I'll let a picture better demonstrate:
DSCF4581.JPG

If I forget to put a hairtie in, I have to look through a wall of hair to see where I'm going LOL

Buffeting isnt an issue for me since putting the higher shield on, mine is the updraft...combined with a beard and, well...I'll let a picture better demonstrate:
View attachment 30681

If I forget to put a hairtie in, I have to look through a wall of hair to see where I'm going LOL

I'll bet when you sneeze you look like a party favor:laugh:, I couldn't help myself.

whenever I stop, I have to comb it, or it looks like a chin-afro after getting blown around like that :qpnmt:

Still looks good Bro.

:AGGHH:No shame when it is that great :Shrug: ride safely fearless

:AGGHH:No shame when it is that great :Shrug: ride safely fearless

ThumbUp
Takin forever to grow though...be happier when it's 6" longer (and I'm sure I'll be saying "just another 6" then too...) never ending cycle. But it's at the point now female strangers ask if they can touch it, and random cats in traffic yell over "righteous beard" at red llights (I work door at strip club too....several of the girls made it ritual to stroke the beard for a good paying night....who am I to complain?).

Odd part is, I've had a beard (trimmed back at times) since becoming disabled on 05 (former LEO...had to stay clean shaven since joining Army in 89 at 18yo), and only recently its become "cool"...8 to 10 years ago, they would stare at me like I was homeless (with a Harley? :xzqxz:)

Installed the lift, got the 1.5" from DK, almost wish I splurged and went the full 2", but I'm still happy with the clearance over the heads now. Still have the updraft (though not as bad), but I picked up some stainless from Home Depot, going to make a baffle (this one: https://app.box.com/s/0dhgtkp547gvktfc64zn/1/431818932/3520037604/1 ). Only downside is I feel tighter in the seat with the rear lift installed...I did slide forward as far as I dared, left a 1/2" clearance between tank & fairing. I'll probably get used to it, only had time for a 3 mile test ride so far. the XIED's were just the ticket for smoothing the engine out.

All-in-all, happy with the results, and VERY happy with DK's service & shipping times ThumbUp

20151017_090459.jpg20151017_090424.jpg

Last edited:
Installed the lift, got the 1.5" from DK, almost wish I splurged and went the full 2", but I'm still happy with the clearance over the heads now. Still have the updraft (though not as bad), but I picked up some stainless from Home Depot, going to make a baffle (this one: https://app.box.com/s/0dhgtkp547gvktfc64zn/1/431818932/3520037604/1 ). Only downside is I feel tighter in the seat with the rear lift installed...I did slide forward as far as I dared, left a 1/2" clearance between tank & fairing. I'll probably get used to it, only had time for a 3 mile test ride so far. the XIED's were just the ticket for smoothing the engine out.

All-in-all, happy with the results, and VERY happy with DK's service & shipping times ThumbUp

View attachment 30789View attachment 30790
Thor, I see in your second picture that you are using something to hold your front brake leaver in the squeed position. Curious to that thing is your using?
Butch

Thor, I see in your second picture that you are using something to hold your front brake leaver in the squeed position. Curious to that thing is your using?
Butch

Good eye!
I don't remember the "proper" name of it, but it's like a heavy-duty twist-tie wrapped in thick rubber...I grabbed it at Home Depot. They have different sizes and colors, and it was only 2 bucks for a pair IIRC. It was my alternative to finding a velcro strap...It's my parking brake, as I don't want to dick around with the lever settings :Dorag:
2015-10-17 14.22.31SMALL.jpg

Good eye!
I don't remember the "proper" name of it, but it's like a heavy-duty twist-tie wrapped in thick rubber...I grabbed it at Home Depot. They have different sizes and colors, and it was only 2 bucks for a pair IIRC. It was my alternative to finding a velcro strap...It's my parking brake, as I don't want to dick around with the lever settings :Dorag:
View attachment 30807
Thank you, I'll keep my eyes open the next time I'm in Home Depot for a couple of them things.
By the way Good looking Trike
Butch

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png