Harley trike head bearings

Mar 25, 2010
NORTHERN WISCONSIN
Does anyone know how tight the head bearings are on a Harley trike .I know on my 07 ultra classic the front end goes 3 rotations to center in the swing-by but now after converting my bike to a trike and changing the triple tree I need the new swing by. Does anyone have the spec???

1 swing is correct for the fall-away. The TG service manual states "Correct - wheel stops in the first swing." Make sure nothing (like clutch cable, wiring harness, etc.) is influencing the free movement.

UB

ultraboy
Does that means 1 swing back to center ?
Thanks for the info . I am doing your front end change over with triple trees and new longer forks and all parts are in and ready to finish project.

What it actually means, is: Turn the bars all the way left, and let them go. It should stop EITHER before it goes all the way right, or stop just after hitting full right and starting back. Either situation is considered 'correct' per the TG manual. I like it on the tight side tho.

I went through all this with Dave (Ultraboy) months ago when he gave me the spec. and mine stops after around 3/4 swing and it's doing just fine. No wobble on either end of the speed chart.

I think the point is that it needs to be a "little" tighter and if it's a 1/2, 3/4 or 7/8 swing....probably won't matter.

I had ran across a thread somewhere a while back concerning TG owners that had a "clunk" in the steering head. The bearings in some of them were loose enough to clunk. They dropped the nut retainer plate (at least in the set of trees I received), so you need to install that off your old trees. Dave goes through all this in his article and i would be sure and install that retainer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png