Hannigan Transformer VS Tri-Glide

Oct 23, 2015
Algonquin
After a hip replacement, the onset of arthritis, and a recent minor motorcycle incident, my wife and I are seriously considering a trike for our fleet. We have rented a Tri-Glide on two separate weekend trips and really liked them, however, the price of admission for a new one is a little steep for us right now. I like the Hannigan Transformer kit which I could install on my 2011 Electra Glide Police Bike or get something used.

For those that have had their bikes converted, what does this actually cost? I really love the Police Bike and I think this would give me the best of both worlds.

How does the handling and ride of the Transformer compare to the Tri-Glide? My wife complains when we're on a rough road with the Tri-Glide.

What about insurance? I've heard that the insurance companies frown upon conversions? I have Allstate if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
Doc

If you convert your Police Special you know what the older half is and how its been treated. If you buy used you can get all the bells and whistles someone else has paid for. As far as price to convert a bike to a trike check out the sites. Seem to all be close and 10 to 13k with reverse and easy steer not sure about install. Insurance for value of Bike and Trike two separate items runs me about 70.00 a month I have Geico. Replacement value.

Some insurance companies are goofy and won't insure a conversion. Don't know why, but that was what my insurance agent said. All I did was say 'trike' and that was what came out of his mouth. Then I told him it was all built by Harley and he seemed perplexed. He didn't even know Harley made a trike.

Needless to say I went to another agent to insure it. One that actually knew his butt from a hole in the ground.

I heard (read) a few weeks ago that All State now has a separate category for Trikes. I know that anything that was not on my bike when it left the factory must be insured as "accessories" and that includes everything that makes it a trike.

I heard (read) a few weeks ago that All State now has a separate category for Trikes. I know that anything that was not on my bike when it left the factory must be insured as "accessories" and that includes everything that makes it a trike.

Same with mine at Progressive. And their starter for accessories is $3000. I'm gonna have to up that quite a bit. At LEAST double it. Heh...and mine isn't even a conversion.

Check out Dairyland County Mutual. I had Progressive for years but the rates kept going up. Talked to my insurance agent and he came back with Dairyland at 40% less for the same coverage. My brother carried Dairyland for years also.

Sunman

I had the Hannigan Transformer kit installed on my 2010 Ultra Classic. As for the cost I am not sure what the conversion itself cost. I had a whole lot done while they had it apart. The long wheel base and independent suspension rides smoother than it did as a 2 wheeler. We love it. As for the insruance my agent said insure the trike kit as an accessory. I have a total of $20,000 add on insurance on mine. The taxes are the same as a plain 2010 Ultra Classic

After much deliberation and research on this forum and others, we have decided on the Hannigan Transformer conversion. Hoping for the end of February as my wife is on vacation at that time.

Yep, my '05 Honda VTX has $13,000 worth of accessories on it. Allstate.

Attachments

• VTX done 007.JPG
    VTX done 007.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 248
  • VTX done 005.JPG
    VTX done 005.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 230
For those that have had their bikes converted, what does this actually cost?
Prices are here: http://www.hannigantrikes.com/products/harley-davidson-flh-hannigan-transformer/

How does the handling and ride of the Transformer compare to the Tri-Glide?
Personal opinion: Not very much difference in the "handling" with the exception of what degree rake kit you use w/the Hannigan conversion.
What about insurance?
I have State Farm in Indiana. No change in cost and I was told to take pics and keep receipts. Conversion as well as all other accessories covered.
Thanks in advance,
Doc

After much deliberation and research on this forum and others, we have decided on the Hannigan Transformer conversion. Hoping for the end of February as my wife is on vacation at that time.

It seems you have made your decision. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the Hannigan!

I think you're going to love it. Hannigan does a 1st rate job.

You will love the Transformer...

I picked mine up about a month ago. The paint was fantastic and it rides and handles really well. Hannigan is a good company.

OK

:xzqxz:
could you please post more pics. of your ride :cxtv: fearless

Fearless, here are a couple and the "before" pic. I have not had much time to ride it, let alone take pictures. I had a clutch/shifting problem and had to take it back to Hannigan. They pinpointed it quickly and replaced a part in the trans (I had ordered a mechanical reverse).

I am happy with the remedy and Hannigan took VERY good care of me under the warranty.

Attachments

• eagle at HMS.jpg
    eagle at HMS.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 163
  • trike 2.jpg
    trike 2.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 166
  • shiny eagle.jpg
    shiny eagle.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 163
Dude that is really nice

:xzqxz:

Fearless, here are a couple and the "before" pic. I have not had much time to ride it, let alone take pictures. I had a clutch/shifting problem and had to take it back to Hannigan. They pinpointed it quickly and replaced a part in the trans (I had ordered a mechanical reverse).

I am happy with the remedy and Hannigan took VERY good care of me under the warranty.

Love the paint actually the whole deal! ThumbUp ride safely fearless

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png