Not so sure

Apr 22, 2010
Vienna IL.
Now that I got my suspension sorted out and have been riding a little more I have to say I'm not in love with my trike. I like it, it is...well... different, but I'm not happy with some of the trade offs you get with a trike. I have been riding motorcycles for forty years, on road and off road, and recently had major back surgery and I thought a trike would be the way to go, at least much easier on my back. Now riding in the twisty's is a real chore, you really got to manhandle the trike around curves. And the side to side jerkyness just hurts sometimes. So I took my old two wheeler out for a cruise the other day and felt much more comfortable. Now my wife says one of them has to go, she needs room in the garage for her bike, so what to do? I guess what I'm asking is, how long does it take to fall in love with a trike? Am I giving up too soon? I still can't take long trips on it yet because of the surgery, but I don't know if I can ever get used to that steering.

Every trike kit rides and feels different..

It took me about 500 miles to feel good and now everytime I ride I love it a little more.. Everyone is different that is why we stress to ride every different trike kit U can. Do U have the front end raked???

Maybe someone else can give U some better advice than me,

good luck

Madfoxx, Katfish is right about the rake. If you don't have the front end raked, it is much harder to steer. If you know someone who has one with a rake like EZ steer, see if they will let you take a ride to compare. I think you would find a big difference.

If you already have the rake..... some of our other experienced members may have other suggestions.

With a Yamaha Roadstar, what conversion does he have and what type of suspension on the rear end?

I have a Roadstar sitting in my garage, and went to a Goldwing because I really wasn't satisfied with the choices available for the Yamaha.

Sorry it took so long to get back, Yes it has the EZ steer front end. It's OK on highways that have long curves, it's the tight two lane roads with 45 to 50 MPH curves. I don't think I would ever want to ride it on the Dragon's tail or any twisty mountain roads, at least not for very long. I live in southern Illinois and we have some nice roads and some bad roads. I haven't tried but I don't think it would be much fun on 10 miles of bad road. I'm just looking for some feedback from others that have ridden trikes for a while.

I think there is something wrong with the setup. If you have an E-Z Steer and have the complaint that you have I would suspect maybe they over tightened the steering bearing nut. It is suppose to be tight but if it was setup as it is suppose to be the steering should be effortless. Are you absolutely sure that the EZ-Steer was installed?

I'm a world away from being a mechanic, but it sounds like there's definitely something wrong there. I have a Suzuki C50/Lehman - basically one of the most entry level trikes you can find - with no rake, ezsteer, or stabilizer bars....it's a bit tough in corners sometimes, but not nearly as bad as what you're describing! So if you're having problems with a rake & ezsteer, then something definitely can't be right. :no:

Sorry, I can't help with a solution - I just wanted to share another perspective so you don't give up just yet. :)

I think there is something wrong with the setup. If you have an E-Z Steer and have the complaint that you have I would suspect maybe they over tightened the steering bearing nut. It is suppose to be tight but if it was setup as it is suppose to be the steering should be effortless. Are you absolutely sure that the EZ-Steer was installed?

It absolutely has the EZ steer. The bearing are not tight. From some of the other forums I've read this "normal". It wants to go straight.
By the way, I own a motorcycle shop, I'm not a dealer but I work on just about everything so I know what I'm doing. I'm just new to the trike aspect of it.

Madfoxx, sorry too hear your not loving your trike. Time may make the difference, or as others have said something may be set up wrong. But since you know bikes I would say thats probably not the case.
So I guess I'll give you my 2 cents. Haven ridden on two for almost 40 years, I think trikes are great if, you can no longer ride on two wheels because of health issues, or you just want the stability of a trike and are willing to give up the feel of two wheels. Not that trikes are bad, but like you said "THEY ARE DIFFERENT". Having said that, I think that maybe a trike is not the best solution for a bad back. I love my trike because it inables me to continue riding, no balance, I can't keep two wheels upright . But, it is not as smooth over bumps as any of my two wheeled bikes were. I'm sure some may disagree, but just the fact that you now have to deal with side to side bumps as well as front to rear makes it ride rougher. Independent suspension would probably help a little. I think that if you can still hold up two wheels without it causing pain, you could probably get a smoother easier to handle ride without the third wheel. Counter steering and leaning through a corner is a lot easier to do than turning a trike, even when it's set up right.
Again, I think trikes are great, if your willing to give up leaning and easier turning for greater stability and a slightly rougher ride.
I love my trike, but given the choice, if I could still ride on two, I would.
Man, am I ramblin or what?
Well, I hope you get it sorted out and that your back improves. Good luck.

FBTRIKE, I hear ya! Maybe as back heals and gets stronger things will change. The big issue for me is that if I fall over on the two wheeler I might destroy all the good work the surgeon did. I had four vertebrae fused and I'm not really supposed to be riding yet. I guess I could pump some iron so I can strong arm the trike around! I'll keep riding it and see how it goes. My buddies that are die hard motorcycle guys think I'm nuts for buying it, they say it takes all the fun out of riding. I won't go that far, like I said, it is different.

Madfoxx, I've always had bikes, too many to list.
No way Trikes take all the fun out of riding. One thing that will shut them up, if you do get use to three wheels, you will be able to out corner them in the twisties. I do all the time. My buddies hate it. :yes:

I have no rake on my DFT (ind rear ) . It took me a while to perfect the steering . It is a push pull. If you stiff out the elbow on the push side and you pull with the inside arm and push down with the inside foot ( almost standing on it.) I know the trike won't lean but it puts you in the right position. Roll on the throttle in the turn as you did with 2 wheels . I can take most curves ( believe me we have sharp turns in Conn.) most I can take at 5 to 10 above posted limit.

Madfoxx, well with all the additional info on your experience, I would strongly lean towards the idea that you just need to give yourself more time to re-gain your strength. I think as you get stronger you will find using John's streering technique your issue will go away. I'm 63 been on 2 wheels since I was 14. Went 2 3 wheels 2 years ago because of not being able to feel comfortable holding her up any longer. Knee issues. I took to it like a duck to water. 20k miles later and can safely say I love it. I still venture out on 2 ocassionly only to feel the knee not cooperating when standing still. Good luck with your recovery and let us know if you adapt.

Thanks for all the responses, I went out for a ride on it this weekend and now that I have the suspension adjusted and tire pressure right it rides much better. I used the "push pull, knee against the tank for leverage" method and it works for me. Being a mechanic, I notice little things that bug me. When I'm cornering I notice the strain it seems to put on the frame of the bike and that disturbs me. I also know that it is going to be hard on front tires. Also it does not stop very fast. I can lock up the back tires easily. ABS would be a great idea. I did do a few donuts in my gravel drive and that was fun!:cool:

Another "Trike Newbie" here, but also with 40+ years of 2-wheel Motorcycle Ridin'...wasn't real happy with mine at first either, then added a Rake Kit......wouldn't trade it now for my 3 favorite 2-wheelers back...all I can say is.....

RAKE KIT

..........:yes::cool:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png