best carry caliber

I recently ended up going to 9mm with all of my carry weapons. My current "go to" is a Sig 229 Legion (9mm).. Primary mag is Hornady critical defense, my backup mag is loaded with Hornady Critical Duty rounds for barrier penetration if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah.. Forgot to add this. When you compare the MODERN quality defensive ammo that's on the market, ballistically speaking there is almost no difference between the "major players" in the caliber department. Penetration and temporary wound cavity is close in all of them.

In addition, most medical examiners cannot differentiate calibers based of trauma to the victim either which further substantiates the data.

This is one of the main reasons agencies are changing to 9mm.. In addition, it's more cost effective, and they are able to carry more rounds than with most other calibers. Considering the amazingly low percentage of accuracy responders have when faced with a high stress shooting environment, more rounds for them to have on hand is a good thing.

Hornady Critical Defense, Critical Duty and even the Zombie loads is good ammo as are many others in todays current 9mm offerings.
Seems like the FBI has chosen Speer Gold Dot G2 147gr. Other agencies report better results with the 124+P version.
Federal HST has a strong following also. There's some pretty good stuff out there currently.

Got to thinking of the current conditions and the POS's new Foreign policy "Be Afraid" I found that my AK pistol, with a 30 round clip, fits real nice right on top of stuff in my tour-pac.

o~\o

Best Carry Caliber

Heard somewhere that the best carry caliber is one that you regularly have on you.

For me, it's usually my Taurus TCP 380, with a spare clip, which makes for 13 rounds. Sometimes, it's the Springfield 9mm, double stack, which packs 19 rounds.

I carry both OTW, as ITW is uncomfortable, and I can't seem to get the tail tucked right. If I'm going somewhere where I need to tuck, I'll pack the TCP in a pocket holster.

I have a Taurus 40 cal, PT101, but no holster, so it stays in the safe. I need to get a holster for it. Any suggestions?

Shin

Wife just picked up a HK P30SK in 9mm. I sure am impressed. She has both thumb joints replaced and has no real grip. This gun is so smooth and easy to operate. We have high expecations that this will her gun forever. Pictures and report to follow. Jim

Not sure what exactly you want, whether it be kydex or hybrid or leather. The web site below is exclusively hybrid. He makes all the backing from horsehide. No cow leather involved in his work.

They are much more comfortable to wear IMHO.

Not sure what exactly you want, whether it be kydex or hybrid or leather. The web site below is exclusively hybrid. He makes all the backing from horsehide. No cow leather involved in his work. They are much more comfortable to wear IMHO.

The guy is a disabled veteran too. Great to deal with.

http://www.stickywireholsters.com/

Thanks for the link. The first thing I noticed was he caters to left-handers. Unless you are left handed, you don't even think about how many holsters are only available in right hand. I have him bookmarked.

Wife just picked up a HK P30SK in 9mm. I sure am impressed. She has both thumb joints replaced and has no real grip. This gun is so smooth and easy to operate. We have high expecations that this will her gun forever. Pictures and report to follow. Jim the range yet?

Not sure what exactly you want, whether it be kydex or hybrid or leather. The web site below is exclusively hybrid. He makes all the backing from horsehide. No cow leather involved in his work. They are much more comfortable to wear IMHO.

The guy is a disabled veteran too. Great to deal with.

http://www.stickywireholsters.com/

Thanks for the tip on stickwireholsters, I'll give him a try, as far as CCW I find with a smaller lighter handgun you're more apt to carry on more of a regular basis with that I have a KelTec.380 I carry in my pocket and sometimes switch out to a S&W 442 or a Ruger LC9s depending where I'm going.....

New to guns. Picked Glock 42 380. Lightweight and fits like a glove. Front pants pocket carry in holster.

Good pick. I've got one myself. Believe it or not, unless I'm dressed up and shirt is tucked, I carry a Glock 21 (.45 ACP). Heavy big gun, but where I'm a little on the fluffy side, it just kinda just disappears. The recoil isn't much different between the two either. Both are tack drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the link. The first thing I noticed was he caters to left-handers. Unless you are left handed, you don't even think about how many holsters are only available in right hand. I have him bookmarked.

He will definitely make left handed holster if you want them. But why be wrong-handed all the time.

:D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tip on stickwireholsters, I'll give him a try, as far as CCW I find with a smaller lighter handgun you're more apt to carry on more of a regular basis with that I have a KelTec.380 I carry in my pocket and sometimes switch out to a S&W 442 or a Ruger LC9s depending where I'm going.....

I hope you're able to get ahold of him.

He's been having a lot of pain lately resulting from injuries he suffered while overseas. What he makes is just as good as the big name guys at a lot lower price.

I re-read my post and got off track ,what I was meaning to say was it's better to always better to have a smaller pocket gun on your person than trying to conceal a larger one..especially when you hit the warmer months .I can drop that KelTec .380 in the pocket of my jogging shorts and it's not heavy enough to make them droop,where with a larger handgun you might forgo scarring it due to it's inconvenient .......and that willl be the time you need it! Accuracy , Speed & Control over Caliber

Last edited:
Depends where I'm riding. If I'm riding in an area with a lot of carjacking (monthly trips to SC) I carry a Judge Public Defender loaded with 410 PDX ammo. If I'm on a long haul in more civilized states, I carry a SW MP Shield 40. But, I'm thinking about buying a SW MP Bodyguard 380 as a backup carry gun too.

Bubba

Best carry caliber.

I normally carry a Glock 23. which is a 40 S&W. It's not a small pistol but it is manageable. If you buy a quality holster, you can carry the Glock or any gun for that matter, all day long and forget it's even there. I use a Milt Sparks holster. Pricey, but well worth it. I also carry a Ruger LCP. Very small and light weight. But mostly the 40 S&W.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png