Carry Rack

Reaction score
I had a new smaller carry rack made and a dolly to plug into my trailer hitch reciever. The dolly handle is setup for extension and quick removal. I added two small led strip lights that are dual function for run and turn signals. Heres two pictures of it. >>>>

CarryRack2.jpg

CarryRack1.jpg

Nice work, if you are ever in Oregon,stop by.I promise to keep you busy.

Must be the time of the year for folks to start figuring out how they can pack all their junk the the "big trip". The idea of the cargo rack seems to be popping-up all over the place.

FLTR has a dandy. I will post a picture of mine which is 100% aluminum. It's not as big, but it sure comes in handy on those 2-3 day trips when we don't take the trailer. Weighs around 10-15 pounds and can be un-plugged from the receiver and brought right into the hotel. If I made one bigger, I'd likely add some lighting.

Watch the packing and keep the license plate visible. You can be ticketed in some states if you block it. Mine is a sheet of 1/4 aluminum plate welded over some angle sections and then welded onto a 1-1/2 inch solid aluminum backbone that plugs right into the receiver. I lightened it up as much as I could with the big holes, but left enough to make it very strong. The rack is not necessary, mine just fits a standard HD tour-pack bag and I have bungee-cord holes and slots for straps too. I think my material cost was around $60 and the rack was another $50 off e-bay. Got the welding done free by a buddy.

Wow, how clever! Watch out, though--with all that packing space, someone's bound to accuse you of being a girl. (Which is actually a compliment, though most men don't see it that way. LOL!) :D:D:D

I like the idea of caster wheels and a tow handle ... As long as it is under 32 inches wide it should fit thru most motel doorways ...

Wow, how clever! Watch out, though--with all that packing space, someone's bound to accuse you of being a girl. (Which is actually a compliment, though most men don't see it that way. LOL!) :D:D:D

Losing my left leg in a hit n run, I need to carry a folding stool to aid me in getting from bed to the bathroom and bathing. Plus, having to walk with a prosthetic leg and crutch the dolly just makes it eaiser on me to get my stuff in the hotel/motel when I travel on the trike.

"Overcoming adversities is the creation of new ideas" ;) :D

Juju.....my little rack is for "my stuff". The wife keeps her stuff inside the trunk and I have to settle for the overflow space. Mine did not have to be that large, as I am not allowed to carry much under any conditions. She always seems to run out of space for the girl-stuff whether-or-not we use the trailer or this little cargo rack. I cannot be accused of being a sissy!

I agree....and that is all I get to take. It's HER that has to have all the other junk. The HD Dealer here in our area travels with us and he has a "system". He saves all his old t-shirts, etc. over the year and when trip time comes...he puts a changing in a paper bag. Each day he opens a new bag and throws away what he had on the day before. By the time we get back home....he has no baggage, no dirty clothes to wash and nothing to un-pack.

Hey, have you guys been talking to the Chief? You sound just like him! In fact, he thinks that I only GOT a trike so I'd have more cargo space. Like that's a bad thing??? :no::D

I was thinking that was it, but wanted to make sure, would some on here be it the market for some carry racks at a reasonable price, and in other colors besides black[all in powder coated]?

You should be able to drum-up some business Ray. There seems to be quite an interest in the racks across all the forums I read. Before I built my own, I shopped and shopped and all I could find were ones made for automobiles, etc.....which are just too large. Aluminum makes a good strong and lightweight unit, even though it may be a bit more expensive to construct. Like above...the receivers are generally class I or 1-1/4". The ATV aftermarket stuff is closer in size to what the average customer would be wanting. They would simply need to be modified by adding a 1-1/4" draw bar.

Roadsmith builds into their frame a 1 1/4" reciever, but a friend who has a Tow Pak conversion has a 2" reciever. Probably have to have customers specify which they have before you build, Ray. Not every one needs smaller than the ones for automotive. The one I built had to be 50" wide (ones for automotive were 48") so my 34" barreled rifle would fit with it's soft case. When I carry the 42" barreled rifles, I have to put another rack on the rack for the long rifle hard case. I used sheet metal for the framework & expanded metal for the floor to hold down weight. I know "sheet metal" framework sounds flimsy, but when you brake it so it's like angle iron, it's plenty solid. I can jump up & down on it & it doesn't give.

NM

I hope i can and i will also offer waterproof bags to fit the racks too, will try to get a price list together of the carriers and bags too, also you can get a hitch that will fit a 2 inch receiver even if you have a 1 1/4 hitch, breeze to use too
also will make feet extensions for vw trikes pedals, so someone like" nana"

can ride, grinn

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png