DK Custom PROJECT TRI-GLIDE Report w/ Lots of Pics

My Tri-Glide

I to suffered from a bike vs car accident, but I lost my left leg among other injuries. Left with no options, I ordered my Tri-Glide. It went from the dealer directly into the paint shop and after that I added my own touches. Gone are the huge H-D taillights, replaced by '40 Ford LED's. Blue "real flame" paint on body and a hand painted eagle on the fairing. Also posted a pic of the custom V-8 trike I'm working on...
102_0088.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0010.jpg0401101652a95116690bosshoss.jpg Being in the wind, even on three wheels is still the best therapy...

I to suffered from a bike vs car accident, but I lost my left leg among other injuries. Left with no options, I ordered my Tri-Glide. It went from the dealer directly into the paint shop and after that I added my own touches. Gone are the huge H-D taillights, replaced by '40 Ford LED's. Blue "real flame" paint on body and a hand painted eagle on the fairing. Also posted a pic of the custom V-8 trike I'm working on...
View attachment 33879View attachment 33880View attachment 33881View attachment 33882 Being in the wind, even on three wheels is still the best therapy...
I like the 40 Ford taillites.Was there bodywork necessary to mount them ? Where did you purchase them ?
Thanks ,Wayne

View attachment 33879View attachment 33880View attachment 33881View attachment 33882 Being in the wind, even on three wheels is still the best therapy...

Welcome to the Gang.

View attachment 33880
Being in the wind, even on three wheels is still the best therapy...

Those '40 Chevrons look really good on your trike. Nice work!

We had the TG on the Dyno last week, along with some other bikes...testing out different configurations.

Click HERE to see a short video of the TG on the Dyno

Pic of the TG on the Dyno-

TriGlideDyno_zpsfuzrwsfc.jpg

Charts will be coming soon.

That was on Wednesday. Devin had ACL surgery on Thursday, so we'll not be hands on the TG this week.

I dropped the TG off at the dealer this Saturday for Warranty work that has piled up over the last 9 months or so. Here's the list I left them with-

Front fender, crack in the paint
Pan Hard Rod ends have play in them
Parking brake locking mechanism fell off
4th try on getting a horn that will work
Brake light switch does not come on unless the brakes are applied to almost lock up force

In the meantime, we are actively working on:

Billet floorboard designs
Possibly matching fender vents to the floorboard design, once we settle on one
The Tour-Pak rack
Got the Tour-Pak safety tether done, just need to take pictures
Got a passenger drink holder to install
Still need to order shorty antennae
Thinking about custom derby and timing covers..maybe matching floorboard design
Still weighing out different tail light lenses
Going to be having yet another discussion on spicing up the paint with something

Kevin

Yes, you can see them HERE.

Kevin

I now never have to ride again in the dark!!:clapping::clapping:

I finally got these lights installed and they are unbelievable. It's amazing how bright they are and how much they light up the road. Still tweaking with getting them aimed just right, but the difference is dramatic. I'm probably seeing more of a difference than those that have LED headlight / passing lamps because I've got stock lights on front, but I would imagine everyone would benefit from having these on. Thanks Kevin!!

GoSlo, where did you end up placing them? Got a set but not sure if I want to do the floorboard location or on the crash bar.

Like Kevin, I tried all different places in might fit and tried cramming them into place they didn't fit. Almost went with putting it on the bottom of the engine guard, but was worried I'd knock it off jumping curbs, snow drifts or whatever, even at an angle. Wound up putting it in the same place Kevin did, right above my highway pegs. Tried it on both the outside and inside of the engine guard and both look fine, but inside as close as you can get it to the lower fairing (leaving a little room for vibration), make them almost disappear....except when they're on.

I ran the wiring so they're on with the passing lamps, which means they are on all the time, even with the highbeam turned on, but there's other options. Hooking it up to the passing lamps was the easiest was to go even though we had to splice more length to the wiring included. It was about 3 or 4 inches too short and couldn't figure any other way to get it where it needed to go without adding length.

You're going to love them no matter where you put them on.

I now never have to ride again in the dark!!:clapping::clapping:

I finally got these lights installed and they are unbelievable. It's amazing how bright they are and how much they light up the road. Still tweaking with getting them aimed just right, but the difference is dramatic. I'm probably seeing more of a difference than those that have LED headlight / passing lamps because I've got stock lights on front, but I would imagine everyone would benefit from having these on. Thanks Kevin!!

Cool, good to hear. I really am liking all the LED work we're doing on this Project TG. It does make a big difference, both in seeing and being seen.

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

Like Kevin, I tried all different places in might fit and tried cramming them into place they didn't fit. Almost went with putting it on the bottom of the engine guard, but was worried I'd knock it off jumping curbs, snow drifts or whatever, even at an angle. Wound up putting it in the same place Kevin did, right above my highway pegs. Tried it on both the outside and inside of the engine guard and both look fine, but inside as close as you can get it to the lower fairing (leaving a little room for vibration), make them almost disappear....except when they're on.

I ran the wiring so they're on with the passing lamps, which means they are on all the time, even with the highbeam turned on, but there's other options. Hooking it up to the passing lamps was the easiest was to go even though we had to splice more length to the wiring included. It was about 3 or 4 inches too short and couldn't figure any other way to get it where it needed to go without adding length.

You're going to love them no matter where you put them on.

Yeah, I put them on the engine guard first, then below the floorboards. They worked well in both positions, but I decided I wanted the beam wider, so I put them back on the engine guards.

I have mine hooked into the passing light wires also...but down at the bottom of the inner fairing where the connector is. That way there was plenty of wire length.

Kevin

Cool, good to hear. I really am liking all the LED work we're doing on this Project TG. It does make a big difference, both in seeing and being seen.

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I put them on the engine guard first, then below the floorboards. They worked well in both positions, but I decided I wanted the beam wider, so I put them back on the engine guards.

I have mine hooked into the passing light wires also...but down at the bottom of the inner fairing where the connector is. That way there was plenty of wire length.

Kevin

I think maybe there's a difference between the newer models and mine? The connector is at the top of the fairing on my TriGlide. I also wonder if there's a difference in either the engine guard and/or lowers. We looked at where yours were located and couldn't fit it in the same place without the additional brace. From what we could see in the photos, you didn't use it and connected directly to the clamps? We tried everything but it would hit the lowers or point really low. No big deal. They were easy to put on and the results are amazing. Went out last night and did some adjustments so that I don't blind oncoming cars. Tonight is our HOG chapter meeting and can't wait to show them off.

- - - Updated - - -

I think maybe there's a difference between the newer models and mine? The connector is at the top of the fairing on my TriGlide. I also wonder if there's a difference in either the engine guard and/or lowers. We looked at where yours were located and couldn't fit it in the same place without the additional brace. From what we could see in the photos, you didn't use it and connected directly to the clamps? We tried everything but it would hit the lowers or point really low. No big deal. They were easy to put on and the results are amazing. Went out last night and did some adjustments so that I don't blind oncoming cars. Tonight is our HOG chapter meeting and can't wait to show them off.

Forgot to mention that the only downside is that now my OEM headlight and passing lamps look like crap. Yellow and not very bright in comparison. So this great product at a very reasonable price may wind up costing me a lot more to get LED's on the front.....sigh....it never seems to end.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that the only downside is that now my OEM headlight and passing lamps look like crap. Yellow and not very bright in comparison. So this great product at a very reasonable price may wind up costing me a lot more to get LED's on the front.....sigh....it never seems to end.

Yes, I think there could be some difference in the connector locations. I am sorry we did not think about that. We will start making the wires about 6" longer so they will fit the pre 2014's easily.

It was super tight, but I did use just the clamps. The fairings are a bit different, but I seem to remember there was more room on the pre wetheads than on the wetheads. Might be our highway pegs are in a different location?

On getting the lights to match, not so expensive...right around $100 and you'll be all LED up front. Difference is, literally, night and day.

Use this BULB for the headlight, and these BULBS for the passing lights, then they'll all match up.

Kevin

Kevin, it probably has already been asked , but when do you project the mud flaps to go on sale? Also what tail lights are you using?

Thanks

Steve

Kevin, it probably has already been asked , but when do you project the mud flaps to go on sale? Also what tail lights are you using?

Thanks

Steve

I spoke with Devin today...the laser has been down for the last week for repair.
It should be up and running by Monday or Tuesday, so we are still about 4 weeks out.

I am currently running the stock tail lights on the fenders. I have been considering the low profile lights from Custom Dynamics.

Kevin

ref your rims

Kevin, I read somewhere where you sprayed clear on your rims. I've tried to find post but not having any luck if I remember, you used Rustoleum clear. Can you clarify for me again. Sorry for the lack of my memory....Gene

Kevin, I read somewhere where you sprayed clear on your rims. I've tried to find post but not having any luck if I remember, you used Rustoleum clear. Can you clarify for me again. Sorry for the lack of my memory....Gene

You can find it in this thread, post 28

I did not remember, was going to go back and look it up...thanks Zammy! Saved me looking it up.

Updated report on how it's holding up...it's been almost 2 years, and almost 30k miles, many of them on dirt & gravel roads....See Ride Report HERE...

There are a couple of very small spots where the clear has chipped off, and there are a couple of larger spots where something seems to have gone right thru the clear and stained the wheel. The rest still wipes clean with pledge and 30 seconds with a cloth. :)

Kevin

Here are a couple of pics of the proto #5 I've been running. Bunch of weird angles to it, but it catches the air really well and directs in onto the motor.

When sitting on the bike/trike, only about 1/2" of it is visible.

Proto5b_zpsmnst99ll.jpg

Proto5a_zpshlfwdqu0.jpg

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png