Not the ladder bar , but the heim joint broke

Captain H

Contributing Member
Reaction score
Salisbury, Ma. USA Jan. & Feb.in Silver Springs Fl
Heim joint broke on the right ladder bar, in the front. Called TMS ,sent them pictures & they said it was the heim joint . You can get the heim joint local & fix it yourself , or they would make up the whole unit , but it has to be sent to a dealer , or repair shop . Bought a 5/8 Rod End RH heim joint from ruffstuffspecialties.com for $11.00 & fixed it . I would like to thank Tomg & ODDOMAN for their tips .

We had to fix it from the bottom & the top . You got to loosen up the plastic under the seat to get to the allen wrench head bolt that holds it in . I use a piece of 2x4 to hold up the plastic so I could reach under it .

Hope you NEVER need this information , but if you do , it can be fixed one way or another .

Attachments

• IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 160
I just keep hoping mine doesn't break someday while I'm going around a curve at 70mph. It happened last year to a friend of mine while he and his wife were on their way to Sturgis. He said it was like Mr Toad's wild ride for a little while. TBMS did send him a new set of bars while he was on the road in some small town. Luckily there was a small shop there that could replace them for him. I tried to get TBMS to replace mine but they said no unless one breaks. I asked them if they need somebody to die in order to make it right. No response. If this was a car or a motorcycle, I bet there would be a recall.

View attachment 31875View attachment 31872View attachment 31873 Here are some more pictures , the last one , it is fixed . Feels good to be back riding , hope this helps someone, thanks , captain h

What really sucks here is that TMS knows of the problem and they stopped making the ladder bar with the front heim joint and went to a fixed joint. You are the first one I've heard of that TMS did not replace both ladder bars for free as it is a "Safety" flaw in the design. I would contact Jeff Vey (TMS owner) and ask him why you are not being provided with the new bars.

They replaced mine (and others) while I was in Texas back in '10 for the Texas Trike Reunion. I had gone to the factory for another issue (brake switch) which they replaced, then changed out the ladder bars. I would still try to get them to send you new ones (free) and have your local guy put them on. Shouldn't take him more than an hour to swap out.

Tomg

Heim joint broke on the right ladder bar, in the front. Called TMS ,sent them pictures & they said it was the heim joint . You can get the heim joint local & fix it yourself , or they would make up the whole unit , but it has to be sent to a dealer , or repair shop . Bought a 5/8 Rod End RH heim joint from ruffstuffspecialties.com for $11.00 & fixed it . I would like to thank Tomg & ODDOMAN for their tips .

We had to fix it from the bottom & the top . You got to loosen up the plastic under the seat to get to the allen wrench head bolt that holds it in . I use a piece of 2x4 to hold up the plastic so I could reach under it .

Hope you NEVER need this information , but if you do , it can be fixed one way or another .

Not taking sides here, and I may have read the original post wrong. But if I'm reading the post right, they said they would provide the new parts, but they would have to be sent to a shop and he ordered a new heim joint and fixed himself instead.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png