Proper Headlight Height?

Reaction score
With the rake on my Ultra/Hannigan, what is the proper headlight beam height for oncoming traffic? I know how to adjust it, but don't know if you aim at the garage door, and from what distance/height it should be. I get flashing lights back at me from SOME (not all) oncoming traffic at night, but it is a halogen headlight too. I presume the auxiliary lights just hit the same pattern too right? I really pissed off a low Corvette by just riding behind him.

On another front, it was so nice to ride today even for 10 minutes! I miss riding but the rain just won't stop!

Although I wrote this for multiple headlamp bikes(Gold Wings with the aimer motors), the distance and height shown applies to all:
HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE<o:p></o>
Proper headlamp aim isachieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.<o:p></o>
Bike needs to be on a levelfloor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most),with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lensin front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middleposition for this aiming.<o:p></o>
Measure the distance from thefloor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the walland draw a horizontal line at this height.<o:p></o>
Sight a point on the wallthat is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placedon this center line.<o:p></o>
turn on the upper beams.<o:p></o>
Cover one of the headlamps.<o:p></o>
Use the manual adjustersaccessed under the front of the fairing.<o:p></o>
Adjust the vertical until thehot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.<o:p></o>
Adjust the horizontal untilthe upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.<o:p></o>
Cover the headlamp justcompleted, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp. <o:p></o>
Make a small mark on the autoadjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.<o:p></o>
Now have both headlampsuncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set thepreload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark thatposition on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded2up, trailer, etc
You get what you get for lowbeam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png