• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Cleaning and polish/wax?

Big_Steve

Tour Captain - Contributing Member
Reaction score
My new (used) Trike is coming home tomorrow :party:

One of the exhaust pipes had some gunk baked onto the chrome. How can I clean that without scratching it all up? And should I polish all the chrome once in awhile, and if so, what should I use?

The fenders have some scuffs from the heels of the previous owner getting on and off. What is the best way to get that stuff off? And what type of wax should I use on the paint? Also, there are a couple of minor scratches. On my car I've been able to use a wax that is the same color as the car, and it will hide the scratches for a few months. I don't know what type of paint and/or clearcoat Honda uses, so I'm looking for some input before I turn it into a mess.

Dealer says he's going to detail it. We'll see. When car dealers say that, it means they may squirt it with a hose.

Thanks.
Steve

Steve, Oven Cleaner works really well at getting stuff off the pipes. Spray it on let it sit over night. Use chrome cleaner the next day. Tough spots may require 2 applications.

Paint polishing compound used lightly gets the heal scuffs off, followed by some wax.

I use liquid glass polish (5) coats on my baby.

We use "Honda spray cleaner and polish" works fantastic on ALL the surfaces and is even safe for lexan(windshield). Just spray it on and wipe it off with a clean microfiber cloth:yes:

U might try Bonami cleanser. Get it in the grocery store. Has a little chicken coming out of and egg on the label "never scratches never will '

Good old WD-40 will clean gunk off your pipes, then follow up with crome polish. I purchased my first first bike had a baked on frogg togg a lot of wd-40, 000 steel wool, and elbow grease and it cleaned up good as new.

Turtle Wax "Ice" is the best thing going for cleaning and waxing a bike in one pass. You can get it at any Walmart in the auto wax section.

Be careful with the oven cleaner! It will ruin paint in a heartbeat! I t does work well on chrome , I spray it on a rag and then apply it to scuff marks on pipes.

NEVR-DULL...I've used it for years. Works on chrome, aluminum, stainless..etc. This stuff is great on those aluminum wheels too!

Momma loves it around the house too. Cleans silver, brass and even gold.

wp5cad3277_0f.jpg

Extra strength MR. Clean magic erasers work well on boot marks on chrome pipes, may work well on your stuff that's burned onto the exhaust as well.

remember NO POLISH OR SEALER ON THE NEW FIBERGLASS FOR 90 DAYZ!!
soft rag and soap only!:yes:

Liquid glass is the best stuff. I love it. I do multiple coats also but not same day. They will send free sample to you but just enough to do a saddle bag door. You can buy at adance or autozone petboys and im sure there are others

There is one more thing that works really well. I found out about it on a goldwing site! Plain ole Lemon Pledge puts on a good shine and you can do a bike in a half hour just before you leave to ride. i carry a can in my saddle bag for a quick shine in the morning before leaving when im on a overnight trip. Cleans the pollen and dust right off

A few tips learned along the way- For burnt on gunk on chrome, a bunch of stuff works. I do like oven cleaner, spray on cold pipes, let it sit a short while then scrub with aluminium foil. I haven't had any problem with the oven cleaner on paint (pinstripers use it to take off previous artwork, but it doesn't seem to harm the factory paint unless it is left on too long.), and the foil is softer than chrome.

I use Nevr-dull and the Honda spray cleaner/polish (won some at a dinner ride last year :)) Mothers makes a pretty good cleaner/polish, too. If you go the Pledge route, make sure it is true Lemon Pledge, water based. Petroleum based products will slowly eat into plastic and haze windshields. Don't use glass cleaner, either, Amonia is a big no on plastic windshields.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png