Licensing in Florida?

Big_Steve

Tour Captain - Contributing Member
May 23, 2010
Southwest Florida
I got my motorcycle endorsement in California. When I moved to Florida, they recognized that, and endorsed me for motorcycles here. That was 12 years ago.

I was just looking over some trike training classes on the web. Those places are saying you need a special endorsement for trike or sidecar. Is my license "grand fathered" in? Or do I have to get another endorsement? Dealer said my Lic was fine, but I hadn't heard of a trike endorsement, so didn't ask him about that.

When I registered my trike, I asked at the "tag office" about licensing and they said my existing motorcycle endorsement is sufficient. Until someone tells me different, I'm going with that.

Seems to me that trike training would have to be more widely available if it were required for licensing.

In Ohio, a motorcycle endorsement covers you for two or three-wheel rides. If you do not have that endorsement but have a trike, you can get just a trike endorsement legal for 3-wheel rides only. I suspect Florida is similar to that.

Trikes are motorcycles so M is good but all motorcycles are not trikes so if you get it for a trike it is not good for 2 wheels . We ( Conn ) also has a scooter endorsement. I have never see it on a license yet . but the same applies . Only can drive a scooter not a motorcycle . I with an M endorsement can ride any type motorcycle ( scooter, trike, motorcycle, side car,Stallion, t rex, or Cam Spyder.). think of it a having a commercial license you can just about anything with 4 to 20 wheels

I hold a 'Trike Only' on my Florida Driver's license, the only thing is I cannot ride a two wheeler unless I go through training. I can ride my present Wing with Voyager as it is classified as a trike (go figure).

I hold a 'Trike Only' on my Florida Driver's license, the only thing is I cannot ride a two wheeler unless I go through training. I can ride my present Wing with Voyager as it is classified as a trike (go figure).

I was at a Cycle Gear shop today, and asked them. They said exactly the same thing as you. And since I'm endorsed for "Motorcycle" I can drive two or three wheels.

I had a MSF instructor tell me that you can get an "M" endorsement in Va. if you just take the trike course. You can ride either. Seems strange to me.;)

Just to clairfy: in FLORIDA if you take the motorcycle training class you get a motorcycyle endorcement on your license. If you take a trike only class then you still get a motorcycle endorcement but you also get a "S" restriction which is "3 wheels only". Florida excepts other states motorcycle endorcements. If you do not have an endorcement you must go to a school to get trained and then one is issued. There are very few trike only schools at this time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png