V8 Diesel Trike... old Uhaul truck

BMB Guns

Dec 29, 2015
Louisiana
Greetings... Well, I've been wanting to build a trike for years. I'm 44 years old and I think it's time! I have a Ford F350 Diesel Uhaul truck. Engine was rebuilt with barley 75k miles on it. Automatic transmission has a slight leak but works fine. I own the truck. Not worth selling. Couldn't give it away with all the Uhaul trucks for sale around here. I have no other need for it so a monster trike project is better than nothing.

Yes, I know this idea is retarded and a VW or anything else would be easier. That's not the point. It's the challenge and the rumble of a diesel engine I'm after!

A little background to show that i know the headache I'm getting into! I have a shop. Ive been welding/metal working for years. Dad is a retired mechanic. I worked on diesel engines and pumps in my early years in the Louisiana field. For the trike: I plan on building my own heavy duty front end. I want to use the dual tire rear axel from the Uhaul (the giant stack of springs will be reduced or changed).

The radiator will be relocated to the rear with electric fans. The fuel tank is big but it's a nice flat rectangular shape and would work well sideways behind the back seat over the radiator.

I will take a few pics of the truck and welcome any constructive suggestions. Also, my wife wants me to build a funky little camper/tail gate thing with that box of the Uhaul truck. That will be a fun project as well! Thanks for reading my long ass first post! BMB

Thanks for the welcome Gorilla. I haven't built something crazy in a while. This certainly registers on the crazy list. I'll try to take a few pics of the Uhaul and post them. I really want to chronicle the progress on triketalk. At the very least it will be good for a laugh!

Welcome to TT!ThumbUp

Where about in LA are you? I plan on heading down to Lake Charles late Feb for a couple of weeks.

Anyone familiar with the laws in Louisiana concerning trikes built from cars/trucks? I plan on calling the DMV and my insurance company before I really get I to turning wrenches and cutting steel.

Your idea to check with LA DMV is a good idea. as almost next door to you in TX, it wouldn't fly. No auto/motorcycle hybrid homebuilts allowed there.
Seems Un~American to me, but whoever got the legislators to sign off on that law is smarter than me!
Welcome, & good luck on your project if it can get up & going legally...ThumbUp

Your idea to check with LA DMV is a good idea. as almost next door to you in TX, it wouldn't fly. No auto/motorcycle hybrid homebuilts allowed there.
Seems Un~American to me, but whoever got the legislators to sign off on that law is smarter than me!
Welcome, & good luck on your project if it can get up & going legally...ThumbUp

Yep. I've already heard about TX laws. That sucks. Definitely Un-American. *My dad actually built a 3 wheeler around 30 years ago and got it licenced to drive on the road. All he needed was turning signals, a headlight and a horn. No front breaks even. But that was 30 years ago. He powered it with a big ass *Briggs air cooled. *Part of the frame still exists as a pressure washer.*:)

Anyone familiar with the laws in Louisiana concerning trikes built from cars/trucks? I plan on calling the DMV and my insurance company before I really get I to turning wrenches and cutting steel.

Always good to know ... would really be the pits to build it and not be able to register it ... although ... building it would be at least half the fun. :D

If you do decide to go forth and build it, please do a build thread. I'm considering building something myself.

I almost built a hydraulic powered trike with a kubuta diesel back when i lived in fl... Bought all the parts, hydraulic wheel motor, a variable displacement hydrostatic pump . It seemed someone wanted the kubota engine more than i did and relieved me of it... That 7.3 is one heavy mother but doable IMHO .. keep us informed

Yep... should be interesting. *The engine is the 7.3 L IDI. Not a power stroke and no turbo. Simple and solid. Automatic transmission. Still heavy. I plan on building the front end from scratch and it will be extra heavy duty. Here is a pic of the uuuuugly bitch!!!

BAFQsSkxHDB

Always good to know ... would really be the pits to build it and not be able to register it ... although ... building it would be at least half the fun. :D

If you do decide to go forth and build it, please do a build thread. I'm considering building something myself.
I hope you do fuzzy!!!
you will enjoy it I'm sure!!

come on with it bmb!!
this is a vary interesting build to me, I have been wanting to do a small diesel in a jeep for last 4-5 years. I'm a diesel guy just got tired of the new stuff over regulated to much government involvement. I do tinker with my m-11 Cummins- in motor home built cold air kit different exhaust manifold / turbo and 5 inch exhaust and straight through resonator runs good;)
so hope you do the build and post plenty of pics!!
mike

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png