trike for sale locally

Apr 15, 2014
colorado
00d0d_3CHkvXpGHeI_600x450.jpg00g0g_eZrotB6mznG_600x450.jpg00k0k_8LQf9O1RkLZ_600x450.jpg00808_iEo80irUEYT_600x450.jpg

Anyone recognize make of this trike and engine size and weather it could be an IRS or a swing axle? Looking at this tomorrow. No title available. Engine turn over by hand. Needs work. Am mostly interested in the frame. T first I thought it might be an old Possum trike but not sure. Please let me know what you think. He is asking $550 firm. Thanks a lot.

1. Looks like a WilMac trike body from the seventies era. Could also be a later copy of same (i.e., Lithia Trikes of Georgia were doing a body very similar to this).
2. Suspension is definitely IRS (I see the CV joint on the axle), so 1968 or later transaxle.
3. Motor is a single port with generator, so either 53 HP or 40 HP - that dates it to 1964 to early 1968. VW changed to dual port heads in 1968 (generally speaking). If you can get numbers off the motor case at the base of the oil intake/breather, you can look the manufacturing specifics online.

Generator looks to be 12 volt (as opposed to earlier 6 volt models up to 1966) so motor is very likely to be 1967 or early 1968 (and 53 to 57 HP rating).

Frame looks perhaps to be a homebuilt job, or at least from a mftr. other than WilMac. Girder front end looks to be a WilMac - if the chrome is good it's a good find in itself and will work wonderfully stable on a stretched trike like this.

With this period of origin, you should be OK with a Bill of Sale since most states did not have titles issued on these vehicles during those early years.

Give us the specifics of what you find out about it. You should be able to cut a pretty good deal if you stress the engine age. Just don't be BS'd. If 'rebuilds' or 'modifications' or things done by a 'previous owner' aren't documented, then they are worthless in a deal like this. GOOD LUCK!!

1. Looks like a WilMac trike body from the seventies era. Could also be a later copy of same (i.e., Lithia Trikes of Georgia were doing a body very similar to this).
2. Suspension is definitely IRS (I see the CV joint on the axle), so 1968 or later transaxle.
3. Motor is a single port with generator, so either 53 HP or 40 HP - that dates it to 1964 to early 1968. VW changed to dual port heads in 1968 (generally speaking). Iff you can get numbers off the motor case at the base of the oil intake/breather, you can look the manufacturing specifics online.

Frame looks perhaps to be a homebuilt job, or at least from a mftr. other than WilMac. Girder front end looks to be a WilMac - if the chrome is good it's a good find in itself and will work wonderfully stable on a stretched trike like this.

With this period of origin, you should be OK with a Bill of Sale since most states did not have titles issued on these vehicles during those early years.

Give us the specifics of what you find out about it. You should be able to cut a pretty good deal if you stress the engine age. Just don't be BS'd. If 'rebuilds' or 'modifications' or things done by a 'previous owner' aren't documented, then they are worthless in a deal like this. GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the information. I will take a list of engine vin numbers along and will look the vin number up when I get there. No receipts for anything on this. He said he has a 1977 previous owner proof of ownership something but no title. Any idea as to the girder style--Harley or Honda? Is there any value in parts if I should part it out? Thanks again

Looks like a good find for $500.
Unfortunately most VW trikes are not valued very high, unless it has some historic provenance.
As far as parting it out, you might make money if you can ID the maker, and be willing to hold out for what you're asking. You'll likely end up with some parts that nobody needs or wants, but will take for free if you are going to just scrap the remains...

If it were me, as long as the engine is not seized, I'd gamble on getting it running. Then without investing much more $$, I'd clean it up some, & pop it out complete & running for $2,500 on craigslist come spring.
Good luck.

Looks like a good find for $500.
Unfortunately most VW trikes are not valued very high, unless it has some historic provenance.
As far as parting it out, you might make money if you can ID the maker, and be willing to hold out for what you're asking. You'll likely end up with some parts that nobody needs or wants, but will take for free if you are going to just scrap the remains...

If it were me, as long as the engine is not seized, I'd gamble on getting it running. Then without investing much more $$, I'd clean it up some, & pop it out complete & running for $2,500 on craigslist come spring.
Good luck.

I keep loosing this site for some reason so i'll reply again to this post. I agree--It's probably worth the investment. $500 doesn't buy much anymore. The guy that owns this said it does run but not now. Thanks for your reply.

I leaning toward what Loner stated; it resembles a WilMac trike but I don't recall WilMac having that aggressive of a front end rake. So his later statement that it seems like "Frame looks perhaps to be a homebuilt job" is probably correct.

Main thing on the engine is if its a dual oil bypass block. Some of them will have AE, AK, AR, just to name a few.

And, as Sidecarbill stated, if that is in fact an early Honda CB750 fuel take it would be worth grabbing the trike for that price just for the tank. You can probably make your money back just on that tank. :p

None the less, it would seem to be a great find at $550.

Keep us posted on your progress with this purchase VWbuild! :clapping:

That's the kind of deal I'll be looking for when the smoke clears ... :D ... I'm thinking a VW project trike ... mainly because as stated, they seem to be available cheap.

I know that late last summer there were a few floating around for sale in Denver and Fort Collins. Hard to say if they are still available though. :p

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png