2009 Kawa Voyager: 2 to 3 with Champion Kit - DIY

KWSchin

Reaction score
Howdy All!

Been plugging along, on the '09 Kawa Voyager conversion. I'm really pleased with the Champion kit. Very few issues, other than having to enlarge a couple of holes in two small parts, grinding the powder coat off the ends of the "swing arm" where it fits into the frame, and no trailer wiring, although I ordered the trailer hitch kit. I have wiring on the bike already, so it's not going to be a problem.

The kit arrived in a fantastic crate, very strong and everything securely fastened down.

DSCN1519.JPG

DSCN1521.JPG

Only other down side, the hardware bags are not identified, so I had to identify them by the list of contents. Works, but would be nice if the bags had letters on them, to match the letters on the list.

The parts, and engineering, are awesome. I understand the cost, now, and am glad we went with the Champion kit. I've been enjoying bolting it together.

DSCN1596.JPG

DSCN1613.JPG

I've got to finish "Tweaking" the left exhaust, but have to wait until the new muffler gasket arrives. Couldn't use the old one, as it won't come off the piece of pipe, that I had to cut off of the muffler, for the extension.

Oh well, I have the rear brake circuit to tackle. I've been avoiding that, as I hate working with brake fluid. :mad:

I've got a BUNCH of photos in a Flickr album.

All the best from Sunny South Central Texas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1388499...57663291283389

Keith "Shin" Schindler

Shin, Flicker gives me a 404 error. Is your link good?

It's a sad commentary on our society when a member post that statement and someone like me initially thinks it's dirty. :Shrug:

On a side note, I hate it when my link isn't good and I get a 404 error on my flicker ... :AGGHH:

Flickr Album Wasn't Public

Shin, Flicker gives me a 404 error. Is your link good?

I had to figure out how to make the album public. I think that I've got it now. Thanks for the heads up!

Shin

Howdy All!

Been plugging along, on the '09 Kawa Voyager conversion. I'm really pleased with the Champion kit. Very few issues, other than having to enlarge a couple of holes in two small parts, grinding the powder coat off the ends of the "swing arm" where it fits into the frame, and no trailer wiring, although I ordered the trailer hitch kit. I have wiring on the bike already, so it's not going to be a problem.

The kit arrived in a fantastic crate, very strong and everything securely fastened down.

Only other down side, the hardware bags are not identified, so I had to identify them by the list of contents. Works, but would be nice if the bags had letters on them, to match the letters on the list.

The parts, and engineering, are awesome. I understand the cost, now, and am glad we went with the Champion kit. I've been enjoying bolting it together.

I've got to finish "Tweaking" the left exhaust, but have to wait until the new muffler gasket arrives. Couldn't use the old one, as it won't come off the piece of pipe, that I had to cut off of the muffler, for the extension.

Oh well, I have the rear brake circuit to tackle. I've been avoiding that, as I hate working with brake fluid. :mad:

I've got a BUNCH of photos in a Flickr album.

All the best from Sunny South Central Texas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1388499...57663291283389

Keith "Shin" Schindler

Looking good Keith! You'll be proud you built it yourself when you're done and will be familiar with every nut, bolt and component of your trike. Regarding the trailer wiring kit, so everyone knows, it is a separate item on Champions dealer order page (the one we dealers get), but not on their website and is not included with the trailer hitch, yes confusing I know. The reason it is listed and sold separately on the dealer order form is that a percentage of tour bike owners already have a trailer wiring harness on their bike, as yours does, and do not want to pay another $100 for a trailer wiring harness with isolator. Just wanted to head off any future confusion for those ordering this kit.

It's a sad commentary on our society when a member post that statement and someone like me initially thinks it's dirty. :Shrug:

On a side note, I hate it when my link isn't good and I get a 404 error on my flicker ... :AGGHH:

Fuzzy, sometime you'll have to tell me how you (mis)interpreted what I wrote.

I need a good laugh since I'm chomping at the bit wondering when my CSC kit is going to arrive, it was advertised that the shipping date would be today but I haven't heard "Boo" from the shop yet. :mad:

Champion Trikes Conversions: Trailer Wiring

Looking good Keith! You'll be proud you built it yourself when you're done and will be familiar with every nut, bolt and component of your trike. Regarding the trailer wiring kit, so everyone knows, it is a separate item on Champions dealer order page (the one we dealers get), but not on their website and is not included with the trailer hitch, yes confusing I know. The reason it is listed and sold separately on the dealer order form is that a percentage of tour bike owners already have a trailer wiring harness on their bike, as yours does, and do not want to pay another $100 for a trailer wiring harness with isolator. Just wanted to head off any future confusion for those ordering this kit.

Thanks for the kind words, and for clarifying the trailer wiring. Glad I already had it in place!

Quick Test Ride Yesterday = Success

Last week, I backed the Blue out of the shop, planning a little test ride, up the driveway and back. Wrong! I couldn't keep her in a straight line, as the front end wanted to flop hard to the left and right. This was without the body work, but I figured it wouldn't make any difference.

Turns out, the rear tire pressure did. I didn't think to check what the were at. Turns out, the arrived at 35 psi, the mounting pressure. Champion's instructions say run them at 20 to 25 psi. I dropped them to 20, which lowered the rear end by 1/4" and all is good.

Mama and I hopped on and rode Blue up the road and back, with no issues, other than she rides a bit rougher than on two wheels. Now if the replacement residual valve would get here, I can finish the brakes then get the bodywork in place.

Chomping at the bit and missing some good riding weather.

:)

All the best! Shin

Got Blue's "Butt" installed!

Rear brakes aren't great but combined with the front, the bike is safely stoppable. Good day to install the rear end, so with Selena's help, we got it installed. Pulled the rear wheels, lowered the bike as much as possible, and Selena and I were able to lift it up and over, then down.

After everything was buckled down, I temporarily installed the plate and went off for a ride. Very nice! Lowering the rear tire pressure made all the difference in rideability. I'm okay with the bar pressure in handling. Don't think I'm going to spring for the raked trees. Gotta get the touring trunk reinstalled, and we're going for a little ride. DSCN0032.JPGDSCN0033.JPGDSCN0034.JPGReady for some adventures!

Shin

A few little things to tidy up, but here's Blue with "Training Wheels!"

Got the Tour Pack (trunk) installed today. A few little things to dial in, but I've got about 75 miles on Blue, without, and now with all the body work. I'm VERY pleased.:pepper: Wife, Selena, says Blue has the sexiest ass ever. :laugh: Looking forward to many adventures.

Thanks to everybody for helping make this possible, and for all the encouragement and advice. So, when will there be a Hill Country get-together?

Shin
DSCN0037.JPGDSCN0038.JPGDSCN0039.JPG

That looks SOOOOOOO familliar!

Got the Tour Pack (trunk) installed today. A few little things to dial in, but I've got about 75 miles on Blue, without, and now with all the body work. I'm VERY pleased.:pepper: Wife, Selena, says Blue has the sexiest ass ever. :laugh: Looking forward to many adventures.

Thanks to everybody for helping make this possible, and for all the encouragement and advice. So, when will there be a Hill Country get-together?

Shin
View attachment 33963View attachment 33964View attachment 33965

Shin;
I too have the same bike with the same Champion kit, only mine has the rake kit on it. It rides like it has power steering.
pictures of the install here:
http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/hank43/library/?sort=3&page=8

One thing we discovered on our first long trip - We came home and beat a trail down to Corbin Seats, about 150 miles or so from where we live. It was pricey, but I think well worth it.

You will really enjoy your ride, we certainly enjoy ours!
Hank43

Well done Kieth! :clapping:

Not only does she look great but you have learned a whole bunch about your trike.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png