Engine guard, highway pegs?

Big_Steve

Tour Captain - Contributing Member
Reaction score
My VTX 1300 has neither an engine guard or highway pegs. I would never ride a 2 wheeler without an engine guard. Wondering how you long time trikers feel about an engine guard? I'd like some highway pegs. Debating if I should just buy pegs, or do the engine guard/pegs like so many 2 wheelers do.

Steve, I have this moustache bar from Kuryakyn for highway pegs. And I changed out the pegs for small floor boards. I love it, and wouldn't be without it. With the trike's stability there is not the same need for the engine guard, although the highway peg position with the guard may be the most comfortable for your legs.

Kryakyn - Harley - Adjustable Mustache Bar

Thanks for the link. I agree, the need for an Engine Guard certainly seems minimal compared to a 2 wheeler. And God forbid the trike were rolled or tipped, I guess it wouldn't do much for the driver.

but let's not dwell on that :(

Steve...not sure you can use that style. We have a radiator out front and HD's don't.
I also have been looking for a reasonable set-up to attach to the frame.

Like Nana mentionedwhere she got hers from Kuryakn, I also have mine from them for a few of my bikes,Trike. I'm sure they may have something to fit your set-up....

I found the Kuryakn site. WOW, I'll bet when I was looking through it I resembled Ralphie looking at the Red Ryder BB gun through the store window.

Geezie-wiz........Prices sure have gone UP since I parked my 2 wheeler 25 years ago.

Steve...not sure you can use that style. We have a radiator out front and HD's don't.
I also have been looking for a reasonable set-up to attach to the frame.

So what kind of mileage are you getting on your 1800? First tank I got about 23 mpg on my 1300. This tank I got about 28, which included about 40~50 miles on the interstate at about 75 mph. Thoroughly unimpressive. But I'm sure it'll get better as I get more used to the gearing, and if I slow down on the interstate.

I found the Kuryakn site. WOW, I'll bet when I was looking through it I resembled Ralphie looking at the Red Ryder BB gun through the store window.

I am that way with pretty much any motorcycle accessory catalog. ;)

Geezie-wiz........Prices sure have gone UP since I parked my 2 wheeler 25 years ago.

LOL - I believe that "Kuryakyn" is a Scandinavian term that translates as "Empty Wallet".:p They sure come up with a lot of bling, some of it is even useful! I have a friend that ownes an independant MC shop that hates the stuff, even though he sells it. Most Kury items are covers, makes it hard to get to the parts that meed fixin' and folks get testy when their $5.00 a pop bolt head covers get scratched.:mad:

I entered VTX 1300 engine guards in the search engine and found a bunch available. Discount Baron Custom Accessories Engine Guard - Honda VTX 1300

They aren't needed on a trike, but I do like the look. (If the engine guards are actually guarding the engine on a trike there is a whole lot of bad going on.:eek:)

So what kind of mileage are you getting on your 1800? First tank I got about 23 mpg on my 1300. This tank I got about 28, which included about 40~50 miles on the interstate at about 75 mph. Thoroughly unimpressive. But I'm sure it'll get better as I get more used to the gearing, and if I slow down on the interstate.

Been averaging 20-25. Not at all impressive and kind of disappointing. Knew I would loose some but not that much. Oh well...................let's ride. Just makes for more stops at all those goodie gas stops.

Steve: I can tell you that Kuryakn sells top quality products and they do stand behind what they sell, all of there Chrome products are the highest standard & luster....

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png