• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Tr-Glide rear shock options with shock lift mount.

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to replace the HD air shocks on my 2011 Tri_Glide. Progressive offers a Tri-Glide specific non air shock. Model 444. The length of this shock is 1/2 inch longer than the stock air shocks. It is my understanding this length will NOT work with the lift brackets I have installed. Looking for recommendations in a spring shock that would be compatable for my use, I am quessing a 13 inch size shock. I plan on mounting upside down for an easier adjustment to the preload settings. Any recommendations from anyone who has replaced the air shock? In addition I am planning on the HD springs ,any advice on where to start with a pre load setting ? Any and all comments and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rick

I used the 444 before they made a TRI application. I used the ones for a standard touring bike. I weigh 220lbs and mostly ride by myself. Wife has her own trike. I set the pre=load at 3 turns. 20k miles on setup and am completely happy. I also run the lift kit with the 444's

I used the 444 before they made a TRI application. I used the ones for a standard touring bike. I weigh 220lbs and mostly ride by myself. Wife has her own trike. I set the pre=load at 3 turns. 20k miles on setup and am completely happy. I also run the lift kit with the 444's

:Agree: I did the same and set my pre-load to 3 turns as well based on your recommendation and subsequent to the original setting, wife and i went on a week end trip so anticipating the extra luggage weight i increased 1/2 turn to 3 1/2 and eventually returned to 3 turns, as the extra 1/2 was too much. Kinda rough ride solo. It really is dependent on the weights you are dealing with. I weigh 165lbs and the wife is about 125lbs so the OP should take his and passengers weight into consideration to determine his own settings.

Roger

Hello, I am looking to replace the HD air shocks on my 2011 Tri_Glide. Progressive offers a Tri-Glide specific non air shock. Model 444. The length of this shock is 1/2 inch longer than the stock air shocks. It is my understanding this length will NOT work with the lift brackets I have installed. Looking for recommendations in a spring shock that would be compatable for my use, I am quessing a 13 inch size shock. I plan on mounting upside down for an easier adjustment to the preload settings. Any recommendations from anyone who has replaced the air shock? In addition I am planning on the HD springs ,any advice on where to start with a pre load setting ? Any and all comments and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rick

The shocks are built to mount upside vertical. They will not function properly mounted horizontally or in the upside down position. Valving inside the shock is in the bottom and must not be allowed to get air.

The shocks are built to mount upside vertical. They will not function properly mounted horizontally or in the upside down position. Valving inside the shock is in the bottom and must not be allowed to get air.

Lee the manufacturer (Progressive) states in their install instructions that the shocks can be mounted upside down for better access to the adjuster if necessary.

Lee, pray tell, where would the AIR be coming from in a sealed unit???

Roger

- - - Updated - - -

Lee the manufacturer (Progressive) states in their install instructions that the shocks can be mounted upside down for better access to the adjuster if necessary.

:Agree: 100%, as I personally spoke to Progressive prior to purchasing my set!! At that time, they did not have the shocks specifically for the TriGlide. Mine works fine, how about yours Gorilla????

Roger

Thanks for the helpfull advice. I am thinking that I will go with the 444 shocks also. I weigh in at around 285 so will probably go with the HD springs and starting out with 2 and a 1/2 turns and go from there. Wife rides around half the time but weighs in somewhere around 140 or so. Thanks again for the advice.

Rick

I installed the Progressive 416's on my Trike. That let me keep the ease if the air adjustment for changing weights & also took care of the non working Harley shock. Totally different ride.
I also have no leaks in the air system, so it isn't a problem either. All it takes is a bit of care when you work on the air.
You can also use an electric air system if you want. That gives you the ability to change the pressure according to road conditions without stopping.
But I guess each to their own.......

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png