Touch up paint ???

wingking51

Contributing Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there in TT Land have any experience using touch up paint pens or spray bombs sold by Color Rite Paint? I've got my first big stone chip on a fender that needs attention. If you have used either the pen or spray bomb, how did the end result look and are you satisfied with end result?
Color Rite is supposed to match factory paint. will it?

i have my first "nick" on rear fender also-----not sure what kind of mess it is going to be to fix it
I have the HotRod yellow and it is a two step paint plus clearcoat

We use finger nail polish. Have been for for several years now. Wally World, CVS, Rite Aid, etc., have lots of different shades. A lot cheaper than touch up paint! :) Tom

:no:Wing. I just tried it & have only this heartfelt advise: DONT!!!:no: Tried to touch up a couple-three 'dings' with ColorRite undercoat+ base+topcoat of 03 GL Durango Red with the pen. It looked like !@#$%^ & then some. Took it in last week to the paint shop to get the Piggybacker trailer gussied-up & got a 'deal' to have my handy-work un-done. The guy took one look at it & asked me if I'd used ColorRite. He's still shaking his head! Had tried it earlier in the year on my Yamaha with equally disastrous results. You'd think I'd have learned:confused: Dunno...maybe I just am no painter!

:no:Wing. I just tried it & have only this heartfelt advise: DONT!!!:no: Tried to touch up a couple-three 'dings' with ColorRite undercoat+ base+topcoat of 03 GL Durango Red with the pen. It looked like !@#$%^ & then some. Took it in last week to the paint shop to get the Piggybacker trailer gussied-up & got a 'deal' to have my handy-work un-done. The guy took one look at it & asked me if I'd used ColorRite. He's still shaking his head! Had tried it earlier in the year on my Yamaha with equally disastrous results. You'd think I'd have learned:confused: Dunno...maybe I just am no painter!

What happened? Was the paint real thin, and run a lot? Or (like me) could you not keep a straight line going? Or??

Thanks for your input. I am no bodyman or expert painter. I think I will let the pros do my touch up work once I accumulate enough dings to make their time worthwhile.:yes:

What happened? Was the paint real thin, and run a lot? Or (like me) could you not keep a straight line going? Or??

Steve: I used the primer to try build-up the surface. Fine. Nxt went on or should I say 'dabbed-on' the base coat (silvery). Still fine. Nxt the much anticipated mid or color coat (Durango Red in this case for the 03 GL). That's when the !@#$% fit the proverbial fan. No matter how long i waited between coats or how lightly I dabbed the flippin pen, the base coat would bleed into the color coat, creating a silvery mess. And the color...not even close! Putting on the top or clear coat would just make it worse. The pea sized fleck ended up the size of a quarter that appeared to be suffering from road rash!! Nope..not the success story I had envisioned. Trying to be objective, maybe the 3 step paint like the ones I tried (Grey on the Yamaha & Red on the GL) should not be applied with a touch-up pen. So then ColorRite should warn you when you order, no?! I've done other mini spray on jobs with happier results, using other brand paints. At least for me, it didn't work:(

Steve: I used the primer to try build-up the surface. Fine. Nxt went on or should I say 'dabbed-on' the base coat (silvery). Still fine. Nxt the much anticipated mid or color coat (Durango Red in this case for the 03 GL). That's when the !@#$% fit the proverbial fan. No matter how long i waited between coats or how lightly I dabbed the flippin pen, the base coat would bleed into the color coat, creating a silvery mess. And the color...not even close! Putting on the top or clear coat would just make it worse. The pea sized fleck ended up the size of a quarter that appeared to be suffering from road rash!! Nope..not the success story I had envisioned. Trying to be objective, maybe the 3 step paint like the ones I tried (Grey on the Yamaha & Red on the GL) should not be applied with a touch-up pen. So then ColorRite should warn you when you order, no?! I've done other mini spray on jobs with happier results, using other brand paints. At least for me, it didn't work:(

Yikes, I just today picked up touch up paint for my trike. Got it from the Honda dealer. It's made by Honda. No primer or base. Maybe I should think about this some more........

:confused:

Yikes, I just today picked up touch up paint for my trike. Got it from the Honda dealer. It's made by Honda. No primer or base. Maybe I should think about this some more........

:confused:
Do a bit of practicing on something other then the bike to get a feel of what you need to do to get good results. Then once satisfied do your paint repairs. If it don't work out then you didn't mess up the bike more than it already is.
Larry

Do a bit of practicing on something other then the bike to get a feel of what you need to do to get good results. Then once satisfied do your paint repairs. If it don't work out then you didn't mess up the bike more than it already is.
Larry

Steve: Larry is right. You need to try it out on some card paper a nbr of times, till you get it just the way you want it. THAT was my mistake. Seemed like such a small job so ...Yeah!! Besides, you got the paint from Honda. Might make all the difference in the world! G'Luck:yes:

:confused: Hi guys! I been a finisher for most of my adult life. Paint is a hard subject. It can go as easy as pie, or end up a sloppy embarrassing mess. Even the pros redo jobs all the time. The products today are VERY finicky about what they go over and what goes over them. Wax, silicone, polish, all that stuff will cause a ton of problems. The ColoRite stuff is all high tech polyurethanes. They are the MOST unpridictable and hard to control. The different steps, base, color,clear, has to have a barrier coat in between, which, even with 30 or so years under my spray gun, I didn't know... they failed to tell me. Nothing I did would stop fisheyes, crawling, and orange peel. I was missing the barrier coats! Old school lacquer is my favorite for touch-ups., but you gotta find a color matching guy who knows how to "eye-match" your color. Then, a clear poly topcoat. There is NO WAY anyone can match your paint over the internet! They gotta take a known color formula, and customize it to YOUR particular finish on an actual piece off your project. Every paint job is different in color, even if it came out of the same can! Direction,distance,mix, fade,etc. are all going to affect your color. Touch up pens are ok for dabbing here and there to seal up a chip, but there is alot of work involved in making a boo-boo completely dissappear! Some will post how great thier chip repair went, I assure you, they were either lucky, or they knew what they were doing!! The idea is to get the chip filled and LEVEL with the surrounding area, with color, absolutely perfectly, and then clear it. I have alot of posters ask for my help because the see what I do, but are insulted when I tell em "unless you want to pay for the time and materials, I can't help ya!" It's just not as easy as it looks, and wingers and trikers are VERY picky, so there is no easy out! And just look at the prices of a pint of poly!!!! Just bite the bullet, get her done proffessionally, and maybe get some 3M ChipGuard applied to your problem areas. It's a computer cut film that, when installed will protect your paint from chips, and is near invisible! Now one word to all, if the trike kit installer mixed the materials wrong, or contaminated them, the paint may be brittle, and the chipping will get worse as the paint continues to cure over many months. Most urethanes, if mixed properly, will resist chipping. They are kinda "rubbery" when cured up. Not brittle like hard plastic. I hope this helps, and you can usually go into any body shop supplier and get a ton of help. They want you to drop 4-5 hundred bucks on materials! jimsjinx

Thanks for the post Jimsjinx, great know it's not just me. I don't have to worry to much about the color match, everyone is so amazed that my trike even runs they don't even notice the paint!

I understand! My MotorTrike was painted by someone who could lay out tape and do good insert panels, but he ran the clear! I will repaint someday, but not soon! I figured what the heck, she still runs with chips, so off we go!!!! jimsjinx:p

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png