High speed Tow-Pac tires?

520fd

550+ Posts
Aug 9, 2010
Davenport, Iowa USA
I realize the 12" tires on a stock Tow-Pac are basically trailer tires. I have 2001 with the Tow-Pac Insta-Trike. I love the way it ride. But I'm wandering if there is any tire that is rated high speed? Say 80MPH. I have ridden 70 MPH, mostly 65 Max. But often wandered if the Tow-Pac tire will be OK at that speed. Thanks Jerry

My research on this topic tells me that the 12" tires used on the Tow Pac kit are basically trailer tires and most trailer tires I have found are rated to 65 MPH... While there may be some out there rated at higher speeds, I have not found any that are...

Additionally, remember that those 12" tires are turning pretty fast at 65 MPH so bearings are another consideration... I have not had any tire failures to date on my InstaTrike but then I don't normally drive that fast here on the back roads of Tennessee...

Les

My '94 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 is in the shop now to install new outrigger tires. The old ones went 13,000 miles at speeds up to 75. Most of the time I ride at 55 or 60. Never had a problem with the tires until I had one go flat this morning. Didn't have any problems with handling after the tire went down. Replacements will be Carlisle as suggested by Tow-Pac. Actually the tires should have been replaced sooner but wanted to see just how far they would go. Still some tread on the left one, right side was bald. Our roads are severely crowned.

I have not personally tried this, but a quick search of '12 inch scooter tires' should show a number of options for high speed 12 inch tires. Most of them are rated a 93 mph. If you are so inclined, you might have to do a bit of research to get a proper width size that will sit nicely on the 12 inch rims.

Sized right, I would have no problem in trying a set on an outrigger, i.e., TowPac, Voyager, etc.

And the prices are a bargain, as low as $26 for a Kenda.

Just a thought.;)

Tow-Pac Tires

I bought a 2009 GL1800 in April 2009. Installed the Tow-Pac kit with 12" tires. I eventually swapped out the trailer tires for Kumho Power Star 758 in size 155/80R12. Just checked their website and this tire may be discontinued. Checking for the size brings up several tires in that size. I may be getting back to a Tow-Pac on a 2016 GL1800 soon so will be checking on this later. One thing about switching to these tires is I had Big O install them and balance them.

Attachments

• longs_bike.jpg
    longs_bike.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 205
  • Fender_lights2.jpg
    Fender_lights2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 209
  • Measure_TP.jpg
    Measure_TP.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 211
I bought a 2009 GL1800 in April 2009. Installed the Tow-Pac kit with 12" tires. I eventually swapped out the trailer tires for Kumho Power Star 758 in size 155/80R12. Just checked their website and this tire may be discontinued. Checking for the size brings up several tires in that size. I may be getting back to a Tow-Pac on a 2016 GL1800 soon so will be checking on this later. One thing about switching to these tires is I had Big O install them and balance them.

Nice light kit on the Tow-Pac. Where did you purchase it?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png