Boots on a trike?

I rode a two wheeler for years and always wore boots. I've owned a Trike for 2 years now and still wear boots just for protection from road debri.

+1, I also don't wear shorts. I've been struck by some pretty good sized rocks and other junk tossed by passing traffic. A few years back I had a dump truck coming the other direction drop a rock which hit me in the knee, the rock was the size of a golf ball. Another strange one was when the tour-pak latch on my dads bike broke and a piece of it bounced off the pavement and hit me below the left eye cutting my cheek. Did I mention I do wear safety glasses because a fairing and windshield isn't total protection.

Even though it might not absolutely necessary, I still dress pretty much the way I did when riding only 2 wheels. I've had leather, boots & helmets save a LOT of road rash!

NM

Are the Bates boots American Made ?

Yes. I was wearing a pair of them when I hit a deer on two wheels going 70 MPH.

Although I rolled 4 times and had a ton of road rash, a broken shoulder and body punctures (knees and elbows, I only suffered a severe sprain on my left ankle.

I feel pretty good about endorsing the Bates company as I do the Shoei Helmet com.

I am alive because of the construction of their helmets.

I wear tennis shoes riding my trike and am wondering why I have to wear over-the ankle-boots to take a trike course. Probably to lessen their liability insurance.

Since this thread appeared, I've changed my mind. I wear Dingo harness boots and long pants. I ain't a-skerred, just being realistic, now that the novelty of being back on a machine after 25 years is wearing off.

I still wear Motorcycle Boots, even after goin' to a Trike...same for Motorcycle Jacket, Gloves, etc. ......What I wear on the Trike really wouldn't matter as long as I remain "ON" the Trike...I still remember a few instances I parted company with my motorcycles, and "motorcycle gear" was my Best Friend. I did/do on rare occasion putt around in Towns like Townsend, and the TRIKE TALK RALLY in Maggie Valley with a Helmet/Boots only on the Trike at the low speeds there, and super heat this year. The Trike does get rid of a few "low speed drop" issues, but (IMO) Helmets, Gloves, Boots are pretty important if the Ride doesn't go as planned...They cover the "usual" first touch-down body areas.....

"Dress for the Wreck, not the Ride" still always seems to creep into my head when gettin' ready to ride......;):)

Yup, skutter, I agree, although I don't always wear boots, long pants are a must. Remember there are only two kinds of riders, those who have gone down, and those that will.

Yup, skutter, I agree, although I don't always wear boots, long pants are a must. Remember there are only two kinds of riders, those who have gone down, and those that will.

Yep, everytime I hear Someone say "I've never dropped a Bike", I always think They are either really new to the Sport, or a Liar......:rolleyes::laugh:

On two wheels, I was always an all-the-gear-all-the-time girl. On three wheels, I've relaxed my guard a little, but I still wear boots--mostly in case of the knuckleheads who don't see a trike any more than a bike.

Also, my boots are kinda cool-looking and I just like wearing boots. :cool:

On two wheels, I was always an all-the-gear-all-the-time girl. On three wheels, I've relaxed my guard a little, but I still wear boots--mostly in case of the knuckleheads who don't see a trike any more than a bike.

Also, my boots are kinda cool-looking and I just like wearing boots. :cool:

Ah, "PROTECTION FASHION STATEMENT"......;)

I usually wear my pink high tops. Have been known to wear my Berkie's. I always wear my pink above the knee socks got to protect that skin. Heat off the radiators is kinda hot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crazy is as crazy does, Question though, Am I the Crazy one or are you

I always wear the roper boot for comfort and to keep my feet and ankles from being hit with pebbles and long pants are a must even in the hottest weather. Bare foot, sandels, flip-flops I have to pass on them. Shorts, no I don't think so. A little protection is better than none at all, that's just my opinion.

I normally wear boots but this year's heat wave has me in Keens and shorts most of the time. For long trips I wear boots and trousers.

However, due to regulations, whenever I go on a military base it's boots and full safety gear. Hey, it's their base and their rules so I abide by them.

Got hit by another Bike last year on a Charity Ride...I was doing about 10mph and just gettin' ready to hit the right directional...the Moron (daydreamer) behind me was still doing 55mh (and admirin' the scenery) when he clipped mu right Grip and floorboard. Tore my right shoulder and fractured the right ankle.
If I didn't have my Boots on he may have tore my foot off. I love Ridin' Light, Jeans and a Tee but I always wear boots, gloves and a Helmet. Had minor cuts from the pavement, a couple of skin patches missin' and after 3 surgeries I can walk straight and have a useless shoulder "But I can still Ride"...guess what I'm gettin' at is "Ride Safe and Enjoy Life".

Got hit by another Bike last year on a Charity Ride...I was doing about 10mph and just gettin' ready to hit the right directional...the Moron (daydreamer) behind me was still doing 55mh (and admirin' the scenery) when he clipped mu right Grip and floorboard. Tore my right shoulder and fractured the right ankle.
If I didn't have my Boots on he may have tore my foot off. I love Ridin' Light, Jeans and a Tee but I always wear boots, gloves and a Helmet. Had minor cuts from the pavement, a couple of skin patches missin' and after 3 surgeries I can walk straight and have a useless shoulder "But I can still Ride"...guess what I'm gettin' at is "Ride Safe and Enjoy Life".

Yeah, actually "Never Too Much Gear" no matter what Your are Ridin'...."Dress for the Wreck, Not the Ride" is still undoubtedly the Best Policy.....:wtg:

Hey Guys....all y'all that endorsed the Bates...Thank You so much! These are the most comfortable Boots I've ever had...6" Enforcers w/Inside Zipper and they are awesome. Oh yea...1st time in my life I've been able to wear a protective toed boot!

Ed

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png