Drive Shaft with Front Clamping Yoke Removal

Hi All

New to the site have aways searched through the back door cannot find my problem. The U-joints on drive shaft went bad over weekend on the wife's GL 1800 champion kit solid axle 08 kit, I have the new u-joints. Going to do work myself. I have the shaft loose on both ends but its not going to come out. is there a trick to removing this without axle removal? Got a call into champion but they have not got back to me yet.

Nelson

98 Honda Valkyrie trike Motor Trike
08 Honda Gold Wing trike Champion
08 Honda VTX

4 bolts on each end. If you have removed those, I would think it should be loose.
I assume you are aware it passes through the swing arm tunnel? May have to get the rear end out of the way to pull the shaft completely out?
Also, it does have a limited 3 yr warranty w/$50 deductible after 1yr............................................

The driveshaft does indeed go through the swing arm it is not possible to remove it unless you get the rear axle out of the way. I had a customer cut the swing arm to replace a bad joint and brought it to me to weld the cut section back in place. I have replaced the u joints before but i loosened the rear axle, had the tires off so the axle assy. could be swung down and out of the way, once that is done you can slide the driveshaft out. Hope this helps some.

Steve

Thanks for your help, champion also called and told me how to do it by leaving the top two bolts in loose, but had to remove the 8 bolts holding Axle rotate the housing up in air and drive shaft slide out. Now I get to see how my big hands deal with the snap rings and push rings.

Nelson :yes:

We broke down last Monday the shaft broke at the yoke. THERE WAS NO CHIRPING OR OTHER WARNINGS

Only had 25000 on the Champion kit but its out of warranty. My bike is very well maintain probably to the excess.

The replacment cost was $523.00 and Champion could care less what could have been the failure. Except the new one is redesigned.

The mechanic who is working on mine had to pull the rear end back to pull it out.

:D
Got the Job done by replacing the U-joints cost $62.00. My labor time lots. We have put 400 miles since job completed seems to be holding. Champion told me to make sure the yoke was pulled up to the base of trans on spline. I know it was only half way when I took shaft yoke off. I don't drive trike often but I did noticed a smother ride with the shaft yoke to base of trans on yesterdays long ride.

Nelson
98 Valkyrie Motor Trike
08 1800 Goldwing Champion Trike
08 VTX Honda

Got the Job done by replacing the U-joints cost $62.00. My labor time lots. We have put 400 miles since job completed seems to be holding. Champion told me to make sure the yoke was pulled up to the base of trans on spline. I know it was only half way when I took shaft yoke off. I don't drive trike often but I did noticed a smother ride with the shaft yoke to base of trans on yesterdays long ride.

Nelson
98 Valkyrie Motor Trike
08 VTX Honda

Would still like to know why it cost more than $50? Your profile and your original post says it's an 08 trike. The Champion has a 3 year warranty w/$50 deductable after the 1st year?????????????????????????????????????

U Joints

Nelson

98 Valkyrie Motor Trike

08 VTX Honda

What did you replace the u joints on your 2008 champion trike with?

Glenda McGinty

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png