Oil Filter Relocation & Dual-Cool Oil Cooler

The side covers on our Hannigan come way down and cover up the mounting bracket area. I would have to cut a section out of the side cover,for clearance. Guess I'll have to wait and see what options the universal mount will offer.

Yep, if the side covers are covering that spot, don't want to cut that killer Transformer body. :) We're working on one that will fit.

Kevin, It's the J&S Trike lift - it raises the whole trike up 18"

Sounds like GeezerGlide is going to have an answer for you. ThumbUp

how much additional oil is needed for the combo system

On the combo, it is around 8 ounces.

Kevin

Kevin,

Do you have any pics of how your adapter fits into the filter mount on the bike. I run a Jagg fan assist system with the filter relocation housing. Just curious how your adapter fits and how to run the hoses back to the relocated filter mount.

Thanks,
8~\o

Kevin,

Do you have any pics of how your adapter fits into the filter mount on the bike. I run a Jagg fan assist system with the filter relocation housing. Just curious how your adapter fits and how to run the hoses back to the relocated filter mount.

Thanks,
8~\o

Yes. It is just a matter of unscrewing your filter and screwing the adapter in place of the filter on the bike. (in your case onto the Jagg adapter)

It is the same diameter as the filter right where it meets the bike, then tapers down, and is much shorter.

You can see the hose barbs come straight out, so there is more room there than when the filter is there.

Where%20Oil%20Filter%20Normally%20goes_zpsr1tu4obm.jpg

The hoses of the adpater (where your oil filter used to be) get routed back to the new filter location, they go between the bottom of the engine and the frame...lots of room there.

Kevin

Yes. It is just a matter of unscrewing your filter and screwing the adapter in place of the filter on the bike. (in your case onto the Jagg adapter)

It is the same diameter as the filter right where it meets the bike, then tapers down, and is much shorter.

You can see the hose barbs come straight out, so there is more room there than when the filter is there.

Where%20Oil%20Filter%20Normally%20goes_zpsr1tu4obm.jpg

The hoses of the adpater (where your oil filter used to be) get routed back to the new filter location, they go between the bottom of the engine and the frame...lots of room there.

Kevin

Looks good, matter of fact looks great !! Now I just have to figure out how to justify $200.00 vs 5-6 cans of citrus engine cleaner. Being on fixed income and costly meds it's hard on the calculator batteries to get it to add up, but am trying.

Thanks again Kevin,
8~\o

I want this system bad. Two things in the way....the money and the wife. The money is the easy part. :Shrug:

I want this system bad. Two things in the way....the money and the wife. The money is the easy part. :Shrug:

I was in the same position. I solved the wife part by taking her out to dinner at her favorite restaurant, and then telling her how much it would benefit the bike and make maintenance easier.

A week later, I had it bolted on, and she has pointed it out to a number of our bike friends! :clapping:

I really like the idea of moving the filter back and adding the oil cooler to the system. My big question is how does the location of the oil cooler affect getting any cool air to your legs when the fairing vent is open. To me it appears the cooler location is between the fairing vent and your leg and you would be getting hot air from it.

I really like the idea of moving the filter back and adding the oil cooler to the system. My big question is how does the location of the oil cooler affect getting any cool air to your legs when the fairing vent is open. To me it appears the cooler location is between the fairing vent and your leg and you would be getting hot air from it.

Been running mine for about a week now, and I really don't notice any difference in heat on my left leg... but I always wear boots. If it was noticeable, I would bet my co-pilot would have commented on it by now!

Completed install of oil filter relocation and oil cooler.Had to slightly modify bracket
that mounts over passenger floor board mount. It would not clear my pipe, extra
bottom hole and a little grinding and it was ready to continue install.Everything went smooth after that. Need warmer weather here to see how well it works.

100_0820.jpg100_0822.JPG

Well, I have been running the setup for a couple weeks now, and haven't found a single thing to not love!

Last week, at an event, it attracted a lot of attention, and questions, including one I was not prepared for... "Has anyone in the dealer service department seen that and said anything about affecting the warranty?"

Never occurred to me before, and I know that this masterpiece has only been out a short time, but has anything been mentioned to anyone about warranty issues? (I know, what a killjoy!)

Well, I have been running the setup for a couple weeks now, and haven't found a single thing to not love!

Last week, at an event, it attracted a lot of attention, and questions, including one I was not prepared for... "Has anyone in the dealer service department seen that and said anything about affecting the warranty?"

Never occurred to me before, and I know that this masterpiece has only been out a short time, but has anything been mentioned to anyone about warranty issues? (I know, what a killjoy!)

My local dealer thinks it is a great idea, and my Master Tech (personal friend) at the dealership thinks it is awesome for if/when he services a bike. As far as the MOCO people and the warrantee, if something went wrong with your Trike they would have to prove it was a direct cause of your filter relocation kit. That is from a legal standpoint, unless it specifically states in your warrantee that you could not do this sort of modification. It really makes good sense to have a great relationship with your local dealer and they can get past a lot of issues for you without the MOCO being alerted. I personally would not worry about it if it was me. Just my $.02 worth.

Roger

The oil cooler is inboard of the rider and passenger legs and feet. The big chunk of metal, that is the primary, is much closer to the legs and feet, and much hotter.

Additionally, the bracket holding the oil cooler is designed to scoop air and shoot two power streams of fresh air back that would not otherwise be there.

Bottom line, it should feel no different, or cooler.

Been running mine for about a week now, and I really don't notice any difference in heat on my left leg... but I always wear boots. If it was noticeable, I would bet my co-pilot would have commented on it by now!

Yes, I've experienced the same thing with Mary...she has sensed no increase in heat.

Completed install of oil filter relocation and oil cooler.Had to slightly modify bracket
that mounts over passenger floor board mount. It would not clear my pipe, extra
bottom hole and a little grinding and it was ready to continue install.Everything went smooth after that. Need warmer weather here to see how well it works.

View attachment 35254View attachment 35255

Looking good! But I am curious what exhaust you are running? Could you email me photos of the bracket clearance issue you had? Kevin@DKCustomProducts.com

There is no increase or drop in oil pressure with this system, I think it would be a stretch for any dealership or HD Corp. to try and attribute a warranty issue to it.

I've personally shown it to two different HD Service Managers. They both liked it, and one of them got one for his own Ultra. :)

Kevin

Kevin,I'm looking forward to seeing the new DK Customs universal filter relocation kit that will fit the front frame downtubes.

Well , I must be dumber than I look. Can't get the bolts for the passenger floorboard out. Split one socket trying , any tricks?

Well , I must be dumber than I look. Can't get the bolts for the passenger floorboard out. Split one socket trying , any tricks?

I am waiting for someone to offer up the tricks. I installed the driver floorboard extensions on the right side of my Freewheeler, but I can't get the bolts out on the left side.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamblin9511

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamblin9511
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png