Tri Glide Brake Light add-on

I confess to be less than brilliant when it comes to bike wiring, so that said.... I have a light bar that I'd like to mount basically behind the rear bumper. I don't want to use it as a running light, just the flash function it has when the brakes are applied. But as I started this task - I have come to realize {I think} that the brake and turn signal feeds are one and the same. Anyone know where or how to wire just the brake light? It's a three wire light bar - Ground - Running lights - Brake function. Thanks guys

jc

I confess to be less than brilliant when it comes to bike wiring, so that said.... I have a light bar that I'd like to mount basically behind the rear bumper. I don't want to use it as a running light, just the flash function it has when the brakes are applied. But as I started this task - I have come to realize {I think} that the brake and turn signal feeds are one and the same. Anyone know where or how to wire just the brake light? It's a three wire light bar - Ground - Running lights - Brake function. Thanks guys

jc

Check your rear upper trunk as there are connectors under the carpet you can plug into for brake lights.

Thanks Mutha....Would there be a dedicated wire for the brake only?

jc

With your 2014+ models they are wired for the fender tail lights to be Run-Brake-Turn. This means that you have a wire dedicated to the running lights, then you have one wire that functions as the Left Signal AND Brake Light and another wire that functions as the Right Signal AND Brake Light.

With the BCM (Body Control Module) on the 14+ bikes I am not sure you can find a wire that functions only as a brake light.

A very long shot would be to get between one of the brake levers and the BCM. Those are low amp wires, so you would have to use a different power source and a relay...BUT, I am not sure that that would not contaminate the CanBUS and either cause it not to work properly, or, at the least throw an error code.

Perhaps someone else has better information. The above is what we have seen when working on our various LED options for the rear of the newer bikes and trikes.

Kevin

With your 2014+ models they are wired for the fender tail lights to be Run-Brake-Turn. This means that you have a wire dedicated to the running lights, then you have one wire that functions as the Left Signal AND Brake Light and another wire that functions as the Right Signal AND Brake Light.

With the BCM (Body Control Module) on the 14+ bikes I am not sure you can find a wire that functions only as a brake light.

A very long shot would be to get between one of the brake levers and the BCM. Those are low amp wires, so you would have to use a different power source and a relay...BUT, I am not sure that that would not contaminate the CanBUS and either cause it not to work properly, or, at the least throw an error code.

Perhaps someone else has better information. The above is what we have seen when working on our various LED options for the rear of the newer bikes and trikes.

Kevin

Well at least you are confirming what I was running into....I had just figured I was under educated in this area. So much for my add-on. Thanks Kevin

It's a 2015 Bob / Mutha - Sorry for not posting that. jc

Well at least you are confirming what I was running into....I had just figured I was under educated in this area. So much for my add-on. Thanks Kevin

It's a 2015 Bob / Mutha - Sorry for not posting that. jc

I think trikemutha is on to something there.

I just went out and checked my TG. The top center strip of lights on the Tour Pak work as Brake only. That means HD somehow separated out the brake from the turn signals.

jc1300, if you can tap into whatever wire is feeding that center strip of lights that light up when the brakes are applies, I think you have the solution to your install of the LED strip you have.

Kevin

I think trikemutha is on to something there.

I just went out and checked my TG. The top center strip of lights on the Tour Pak work as Brake only. That means HD somehow separated out the brake from the turn signals.

jc1300, if you can tap into whatever wire is feeding that center strip of lights that light up when the brakes are applies, I think you have the solution to your install of the LED strip you have.

Kevin

I'm all over that idea!! Let ya know what I find - Thanks - jc

HAve you checked with a meter and is there a connection in or around the tour pac?

And let me get this right

You just want to hook up a aux light to the tour pac lights when braking?

HAve you checked with a meter and is there a connection in or around the tour pac?

And let me get this right

You just want to hook up a aux light to the tour pac lights when braking?

I think I have to go back to your's and Kevin's thoughts on the center tour pac.....I don't know what I was thinking earlier, but you guys are right. The center lights on the tour pack only have running and brake function. I can live with that - But believe if I can feed just the brake and ground I can achieve my idea of just a brake light below {behind} the bumper. So now I will take the pac down to see if it's possible to tap off that center portion. The problem is I believe that it's a closed one piece unit. Thanks - jc

I think I have to go back to your's and Kevin's thoughts on the center tour pac.....I don't know what I was thinking earlier, but you guys are right. The center lights on the tour pack only have running and brake function. I can live with that - But believe if I can feed just the brake and ground I can achieve my idea of just a brake light below {behind} the bumper. So now I will take the pac down to see if it's possible to tap off that center portion. The problem is I believe that it's a closed one piece unit. Thanks - jc

I think that if you want a safe and reliable feed for your extra lights you need to add a powered trailer lighting module and keep the additional light off any of the CanBus circuits and limit your chances of blowing something in the BCM. I'm running a trailer module from Electrical connections and haven't had any issues with anything on the bike. You can tape off the unneeded wires and just use the ground and brake feed if that is all you want.

I think that if you want a safe and reliable feed for your extra lights you need to add a powered trailer lighting module and keep the additional light off any of the CanBus circuits and limit your chances of blowing something in the BCM. I'm running a trailer module from Electrical connections and haven't had any issues with anything on the bike. You can tape off the unneeded wires and just use the ground and brake feed if that is all you want.

I was looking at that same thing to hook up a trailer module ThumbUp

isn't there a connection in the tour pac under the liner to tap into for your project or now S**t canned project??

I added led lighting to the rear of my 2015 tri glide be tying into the tail lights. I did this about 600 miles ago and have had zero problems. I just went out and pulled the tour pak liner back and unplugged the light. Looking into the plug with the plug lock on the right side. The top two are the turn signals the lower left is the running light the lower right is the BRAKE ONLY. So splice into that wire to add a brake only light. Best to solder wiring 20160401_105810 (800x450).jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png