2016 Tri Glide electrical problem

Ultra fred

Jul 11, 2010
Orange city Fl
Well wife and I headed out this morning for a ride on our TG , only has 341 miles , 8 miles into ride , all the gauges quit working, no directionals , bike kept running , nursed it back home where I tried to shut it off with the key switch and it just wouldn't shut off , finally just died out . checked all the fuses etc ,plugged in the battery tender just in case but when you turn switch on , all that happens is the headlamp comes on and you hear the fuel injection working . Lost for words !!!:mad:

Well wife and I headed out this morning for a ride on our TG , only has 341 miles , 8 miles into ride , all the gauges quit working, no directionals , bike kept running , nursed it back home where I tried to shut it off with the key switch and it just wouldn't shut off , finally just died out . checked all the fuses etc ,plugged in the battery tender just in case but when you turn switch on , all that happens is the headlamp comes on and you hear the fuel injection working . Lost for words !!!:mad:

..back to the dealer, it's on warranty.

Hopefully it was just a matter of a lazy tech not tightening down a battery cable during set-up, and they'll have you up and running quickly.

Kevin

I had this happen with my horn once. Left the dealership after service, and on the way home I stopped for gas. When finished and leaving, someone backed right out of a parking space in front of me. I hadn't had to use the horn like that in ages, but when I pressed the button--NOTHING. Went straight back to the dealership, and the embarrassed tech came out to tell me afterwards that he was sorry. Told him it was no biggie, just glad it wasn't a total emergency situation that it didn't work in.

I have seen a wire get burned right under/beside the exhaust (next to the frame) on the right side ( looking from the back of the bike) cause that problem and I would pray you are so lucky?

Also under the right side cover is a module about the size of your fist that controls lights, ignition, security system, blinkers and just about all auxiliary features on your bike, normally it will blow a 20 amp auxiliary fuse and is designed to fail utterly in a perfect world but this is not a perfect world so it can screw with you to it's evil hearts desire.

They run about $150.00, it is L shaped in design and it pulls out sideways and down.

MAKE DAMN SURE you mark the side facing you so you put it back in EXACTLY the same way because if you get it backward it causes similar heartache and will leave you totally exasperated and we will have to call you a Whaaaaaa-mbulance and take you to a rubber room.

(CHECK THAT WIRE FIRST) I spent days trying to isolate the problem.

AND NOW I AM

smilesHEAVILY%20MEDICATED.jpg

If you give me your e-mail address in a private message I can send you a list of Harley trouble codes, Follow your manuals instructions to show you how to test using your onboard computer and your dashboard info.

You can also google those trouble codes and down load them IF you happen to find them?

The code sheet I globbed onto tell you the test sequence on your dashboard computer.

P.S. I have taken one of those modules to the dealer and the (certified parts changer/ " Fake mechanic") will test it and it will say it's fine until you put it back in the bike?

I would suggest you purchase the separate electrical manual to go along with the official shop manual, they are sold separately so the dealer can help you spend any expendable income you may decide you don't have ok?

1800193_730804716942054_2388486452391946819_n.jpg

I normally work on friends bikes free of charge, the next time I see this tri- glide coming in the driveway I will require everything he has for a partial down payment. It's not nearly so complicated on my old tour glide, and Harley calls this an improvement?

8322.jpg

I have seen a wire get burned right under/beside the exhaust (next to the frame) on the right side ( looking from the back of the bike) cause that problem and I would pray you are so lucky?

Also under the right side cover is a module about the size of your fist that controls lights, ignition, security system, blinkers and just about all auxiliary features on your bike, normally it will blow a 20 amp auxiliary fuse and is designed to fail utterly in a perfect world but this is not a perfect world so it can screw with you to it's evil hearts desire.

They run about $150.00, it is L shaped in design and it pulls out sideways and down.

MAKE DAMN SURE you mark the side facing you so you put it back in EXACTLY the same way because if you get it backward it causes similar heartache and will leave you totally exasperated and we will have to call you a Whaaaaaa-mbulance and take you to a rubber room.

(CHECK THAT WIRE FIRST) I spent days trying to isolate the problem.

AND NOW I AM

View attachment 35009

If you give me your e-mail address in a private message I can send you a list of Harley trouble codes, Follow your manuals instructions to show you how to test using your onboard computer and your dashboard info.

You can also google those trouble codes and down load them IF you happen to find them?

The code sheet I globbed onto tell you the test sequence on your dashboard computer.

P.S. I have taken one of those modules to the dealer and the (certified parts changer/ " Fake mechanic") will test it and it will say it's fine until you put it back in the bike?

I would suggest you purchase the separate electrical manual to go along with the official shop manual, they are sold separately so the dealer can help you spend any expendable income you may decide you don't have ok?

View attachment 35013

I normally work on friends bikes free of charge, the next time I see this tri- glide coming in the driveway I will require everything he has for a partial down payment. It's not nearly so complicated on my old tour glide, and Harley calls this an improvement?

View attachment 35011

Its already at the dealer or I would have looked for the wire .

That way, you can spend your disposable income on farkles.

If I get any disposable income, the farkle I'm going to spend it on is the DK oil filter relocater and the dual oil cooler. That's $400 away unless somebody wants to donate to the cause. :)

Ain't that the truth. Why I bought the extended warranty. I'm NOT a wrencher, and I'm riding a Harley. Not a great combination. :qpnmt:

I had a problem with my 2011 Triglide that required a front harness replacement. Just the harness alone is over a $1000; at least it was for a 2011. Luckily for me, it was under warranty

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png