California Side Car conversion?

Mar 31, 2016
Minnesota
I am looking at a trike it has a "California Sidecar" conversion but it does not have a side car it is a regular trike conversion.

Anybody have any feedback on this particular conversion as i have not heard of it before? Also this trike has a billet aluminum rake kit extending front forks Does this make Trike steer and ride better as claimed?

World of difference between a side car equipped bike and a trike. California Side Car is a trike conversion company. They may also make actual side cars, I'm not sure.

My advice would be to decided which you want. Then concentrate on researching the best company for that item.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

Yes I realize the difference I definitely want a regular Trike conversion Just looking for feedback on the "California Sidecar Trike" conversion How does it compare to "Champion , Motortrike Or Roadsmith I am not familiar with the California brand so looking for feedback

World of difference between a side car equipped bike and a trike. California Side Car is a trike conversion company. They may also make actual side cars, I'm not sure.

My advice would be to decided which you want. Then concentrate on researching the best company for that item.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

There are several CSC owners on the forum so hopefully they will chime in soon. Like all the other manufacturers, they have strong and weak points. Your best bet if you are really serious is to do a lot of comparison shopping; both on line by visiting the manufacture web sites and in person by riding as many different kits and talking to as many owners as you can find. Your money investment will be sizeable so it justifies some serious time investment on your part also. :cxtv:

I have only owned two brands (MotorTrike and Roadsmith) If you would like to ask specific questions, shoot me a private message and I'll try to help.

Trike Talk probably has the largest trike knowledge base in the world so if you ask good questions someone will jump in and give you an honest answer. Enjoy the journey. It will be an interesting one for sure. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Thanks for your input . Yes I am enjoying the site I also believe in research. With my budget 10 to 12K I will be buying a used Trike conversion. I do have a disability (I am 60 been in in a wheelchair fulltime for 31 years) and will need to add hand shifting linkage after purchase so I will not be able to test drive before I buy. which is why I am so appreciative of people with knowledge that they can share with me. I am only familiar with Motortrike conversion on a 89 1500 Goldwing. The one thing I want to do is get a little lower to the ground in terms of seat height and center of gravity as far as getting on and off the trike. It appears that rake kits and some conversions may accomplish this.

There are several CSC owners on the forum so hopefully they will chime in soon. Like all the other manufacturers, they have strong and weak points.

Your best bet if you are really serious is to do a lot of comparison shopping; both on line by visiting the manufacture web sites and in person by riding as many different kits and talking to as many owners as you can find. Your money investment will be sizeable so it justifies some serious time investment on your part also. :cxtv:

I have only owned two brands (MotorTrike and Roadsmith) If you would like to ask specific questions, shoot me a private message and I'll try to help.

Trike Talk probably has the largest trike knowledge base in the world so if you ask good questions someone will jump in and give you an honest answer. Enjoy the journey. It will be an interesting one for sure. :xszpv: :xszpv:

If the "Alexandria" in your profile is "Alexandria, Va." ..... then you are not far from California Side Car's manufacturing facility which is at Colleen, Va. on U.S.29 ..... which is between Lovingston & Charlottesville. They usually have a "Open House" each year ..... make a good ride. There's a neat little Drive In there dating to 1952 or so, good snack food.

They have been in the business since the 90s anyway, and YES, the rake kit is like adding power steering through reduction of trail.

What brand/model bike is this CSC on? How old is the CSC conversion??? What is the mileage on the bike and on the conversion? What's the "history", ie service records, recalls performed, etc.? These question have a bearing on info you should have.
Any pictures you can post?
CSC is one of the major conversion companies. They did have a major problem with the off set drive shafts but, that seems to have been corrected by an all new drive shaft design. Having said that, the off set of the drive shaft is the major reason I went with a Hannigan conversion! Rear end is off set to align with the Wings drive shaft out put, plus it has a extended wheel base and a wider stance that makes it one of the smoothest riding conversions on the market. Also it requires very little maintenance.
As for the rake kit, yes the steering is made much easier!

I don't know much about the CSC brand other than some owners have had trouble with the driveshaft.
With you needing to have a trike with hand controls, I would suggest you talk a with guy, that has been riding for years without any legs...his real name is Jim, his forum name is "Wheels"...not sure if he is on this forum or not? But I do know of another forum he is a member of...PM me for that info.

It is on a 1998 Goldwing 1500 se 82k on bike not sure of exact year of trike conversion My understanding is that it is a somewhat older straight axle type conversion One owner Bike who has since passed away.

What brand/model bike is this CSC on? How old is the CSC conversion??? What is the mileage on the bike and on the conversion? What's the "history", ie service records, recalls performed, etc.? These question have a bearing on info you should have.
Any pictures you can post?
CSC is one of the major conversion companies. They did have a major problem with the off set drive shafts but, that seems to have been corrected by an all new drive shaft design. Having said that, the off set of the drive shaft is the major reason I went with a Hannigan conversion! Rear end is off set to align with the Wings drive shaft out put, plus it has a extended wheel base and a wider stance that makes it one of the smoothest riding conversions on the market. Also it requires very little maintenance.
As for the rake kit, yes the steering is made much easier!

I have a CSC cobra xl converted in 2014 on my 06 wing. I love it and would by another one if needed. Being an older conversion I would call CSC and gtalk to them about it. I have found they are straight shooters and will answer your questions.

I'm very happy with my Harley/CSC Daytona conversion; it's not a 'Wing and it's not a straight axle, but the quality of the kit is great, and I would not hesitate to have another.

Do you have a trike business near enough for you to have the trike checked out by them?
Might be worth the price of a good inspection on the bike and the trike part to know exactly what you're getting!
I do know the off set drive shafts require a LOT more maintenance and on some the rear end must be dropped to get the drive shaft out.
I agree a call to CSC for their input on the "needs" of that conversion would be a great idea:
http://www.californiasidecar.com/
Sales: (800) 824-1523

Riding a Kawasaki 1700 Nomad CSC Kruze trike built at their facility. They are a good company to deal with and are building quality trikes. I can't help with info on the 'Wing trike you are looking at but agree, give them a call. I am sure they will be happy to assist you.

I am looking at a trike it has a "California Sidecar" conversion but it does not have a side car it is a regular trike conversion.
Anybody have any feedback on this particular conversion as i have not heard of it before? Also this trike has a billet aluminum rake kit extending front forks Does this make Trike steer and ride better as claimed?
I have a 2005 Goldwing with a csc convertion . I love the trike it has the big brake package, yes you nedd the rake to make steering easier. the trike has independent rear suspension, which make it handle and ride great. it has plenty of space for cargo for a trip of 3-4 days for me and my girlfriend. I had looked at the csc convertion and many others, and chose csc. it is longer and rides smoother in my opinion.

Wheels

I don't know much about the CSC brand other than some owners have had trouble with the driveshaft.
With you needing to have a trike with hand controls, I would suggest you talk a with guy, that has been riding for years without any legs...his real name is Jim, his forum name is "Wheels"...not sure if he is on this forum or not? But I do know of another forum he is a member of...PM me for that info.

Thanks hast maker I got a chance to talk to "Wheels" He is extremely knowledgeable on various conversions. He confirmed some of the things I have been researching .Great Guy too! so the search continues but I think I at least know what I want.

I have never met Wheels in person, but from the post I have seen him post on different boards, he appears to be a real gentleman...good luck in finding what you need to ride.

I had my 2004 Wing triked with a CSC kit before I bought this 2012 with a Hannigan on it. I liked the CSC very much and found the techs there very helpful when I had questions. Good company to deal with.

Thanks hast maker I got a chance to talk to "Wheels" He is extremely knowledgeable on various conversions. He confirmed some of the things I have been researching .Great Guy too! so the search continues but I think I at least know what I want.

I have never met Wheels in person, but from the post I have seen him post on different boards, he appears to be a real gentleman...good luck in finding what you need to ride.

Gentleman ,now thats funny. I would say more but prolly get banned

now that a few of the csc people have chimed in, how
much louder is a wing with the csc supertrapp style mufflers than stock. thats the one hangup im having on doing my
victory crossroads. the csc kit wont allow srockers and
ive heard the kit ones and im not real happy with them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png