What Fluids do you run in your trike

lco155

Apr 3, 2016
Hayward WI
Yes another oil thread. I have used all forms of snake oil in past only to find out that you are being ripped off. I run Lucas 20/50 in motor ,lucas chaincase oil in primary and lucas gear oil in trans. I am a little discussed with harley as I really think primary should be changed every time you do your oil and yes I change mine at 3000 miles and It might be overkill but try it and see what happens as that's a lot of heat and friction going on. I will say I am impressed with lucas and check out the reviews online.Think I will switch to lucas for all my vehicles as it made a nice difference in harley as i can find neutral .:clapping:

I run Redline in all 3 holes..oil 20/50 Shock for tranny and the primary oil. And I just change out all 3 at the same time. Since I do it my self not much money and cheap insurance I believe. Gives me a good look how the motor is doing when I see clean fluids.;)

Redline heavy duty shockproof in the trans, along with a little Petron.

In the primary I've tried most everything over the years. Until 2-3 years ago I just settled in to using a 20-50, most of the time the HD brand. The last few years I've been using Syn3.

In the engine I've tried a bunch, but always go back to Redline. Although I did use Dynacycle for two changes, and it seemed as good or better...it is off to Blackstone for analysis. Currently there is some Brad Penn in the engine. I always supplement whatever oil is in there with some Petron.

Kevin

AMSOIL

I have owned and done performance upgrades on a lot of bikes, in particular engines and transmissions that have used Amsoil. On disassembly, the engines look like they just came from the machine shop and everything is clean. That, I like !

Below is a testimonial to that product. It has been 10 years since and my thoughts have only been re-enforced. Amsoil is the benchmark that others try to reach.

http://www.motoroilinfo.com/harley_...motor_oil_for_harley-davidson_motorcycles.php

I also run Redline in all 3 holes, primary, oil is 20-50, and Shock for tranny. I am also going to change out everything at 5K intervals.

Embarrassed to say that I don't really know. Being a non-wrencher I let my dealership do that for me since I paid for the privilege for unlimited miles when I bought it. I know I run synthetic in all holes though. I'm going to have to ask at my next change.

My service contract also includes winter storage. I haven't been able to get mine out yet due to unforeseen circumstances. I'm losing a lot of good riding time. :gah:

2014 18,000+ miles. I run Syn3 in motor (3.3 quarts with filter change), Formula+ in primary (40 ounces), Bel-Ray 85W-140 in tranny.

I change the motor oil, oil filter & primary oil every 5,000 miles. I change the tranny gear oil every 10,000 miles.

I am in total agreement that the primary needs to be done every time you do the motor oil. ThumbUp

I drive very conservatively and enjoy every moment on my Trike.

Bob :D

Running Mobil 1 15w50 car oil I get at Walmart for around $6 a quart. Formula 1+ in Primary and Red Line with Heavy duty shock in Tranny. Got almot 100,000 on my last bike running the 15w50 with no problems, so I figured I'd use it in the trike.

Formula 1+ in Primary, Red Line heavy duty shock proof in Tranny, Mobil 1 V-twin in the motor. Run this in my last three Harleys no problems.
To each his or her own.
:D

What coolant do you use?

Redline heavy duty shockproof in the trans, along with a little Petron.

In the primary I've tried most everything over the years. Until 2-3 years ago I just settled in to using a 20-50, most of the time the HD brand. The last few years I've been using Syn3.

In the engine I've tried a bunch, but always go back to Redline. Although I did use Dynacycle for two changes, and it seemed as good or better...it is off to Blackstone for analysis. Currently there is some Brad Penn in the engine. I always supplement whatever oil is in there with some Petron.

Kevin

What coolant do you use?

Lubricants

Running Redline in all 3 holes, expensive but seems to really helped on my other trike

(100 thou +) so i’m using it in my 2023 now. Also trying the ‘new’ re-usable oil filter

at dealers recommendation, time will tell on that issue.

:Coffee:

[h=2]What Fluids do you run in your trike[/h]

I use motor oil in the engine, gear lube in primary and transmission, fork oil in my forks.

Brake fluid in my brake system. Just use the correct grade or spec, the brand does not matter.

I run Redline in all 3 holes..oil 20/50 Shock for tranny and the primary oil. And I just change out all 3 at the same time. Since I do it my self not much money and cheap insurance I believe. Gives me a good look how the motor is doing when I see clean fluids.;)

What he said!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png