Hannigan differential maintenance

alwrmcusn

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Royal Star Venture Hannigan trike that I am ready to do my first differential check/oil change on.
I sure would appreciate any help/directions/hints on how to do this.
What to use to remove the old oil, how much do I need to replace it with. I have a new quart of 80/90wt oil that Hannigan specified.
I am told in the Hannigan owners manual that I can siphon it out. Siphon it out using what?
Thanks.

Suction pump with flexible hose on it

I understand the siphon part, but what is a suction pump and where do I find one? I have an emergency kersosene heater that has a device that pumps kerosene but it would be way too big I think to maneuver/use in the limited space under the trike.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I had never heard or seen of those little pumps before. I'll stop in at one of my local auto parts stores and pick one up.

Thanks for all the input. Will (hopefully) get under Big Red this coming week and get it completed.

Got under the trike this morning to do the differential drain/refill. I cannot break that drain plug loose. Tried to feed the siphon pump hose into the differential via the overflow tube but the overflow tube inside diameter is too small to feed the siphon pump hose thru. I guess I'll have to find someone with an air wrench.

Got under the trike this morning to do the differential drain/refill. I cannot break that drain plug loose. Tried to feed the siphon pump hose into the differential via the overflow tube but the overflow tube inside diameter is too small to feed the siphon pump hose thru. I guess I'll have to find someone with an air wrench.

1/2" breaker bar with a cheater pipe if needed will get it loose.

Took Big Red to my nearest Hannigan dealer thinking they would be best qualified to do the job. They are a very large Honda dealer. They were unable to find the drain plug (really, not kidding) so they separated the differential. Took four and a half hours :AGGHH:. The rear ends used for Gold Wing conversions are apparently different than the Ventures. I did not find out that they were unable to find the drain until it was too late. Still it all ended up okay I believe.

Took Big Red to my nearest Hannigan dealer thinking they would be best qualified to do the job. They are a very large Honda dealer. They were unable to find the drain plug (really, not kidding) so they separated the differential. Took four and a half hours :AGGHH:. The rear ends used for Gold Wing conversions are apparently different than the Ventures. I did not find out that they were unable to find the drain until it was too late. Still it all ended up okay I believe.
That's a good question for the Hannigan person that frequents this forum??????
How about it John Michael?
I'm betting their the same!!! We'll see:wave4:

They apparently did a good job, I have not found any drips/leaks so far. I kept telling the service mech where to look for the drain. I explained the upside down arrangement (more than once). He and another mech insisted there was no drain. Also they wanted to use a different gear oil than Hannigan said to use. I had them phone Hannigan and ask Jim who did confirm Yamalube 80/90wt was good to use. After they eventually found the drain (too late) they said they could not use that as it was too high to be useful as a drain. I explained about the siphon pump that I was told to use and they said they did not have one.
Bottom line here, I'm (thus far) satisfied with the finished product, just sorry that I had to sit around for an extra four hours.

They apparently did a good job, I have not found any drips/leaks so far. I kept telling the service mech where to look for the drain. I explained the upside down arrangement (more than once). He and another mech insisted there was no drain. Also they wanted to use a different gear oil than Hannigan said to use. I had them phone Hannigan and ask Jim who did confirm Yamalube 80/90wt was good to use. After they eventually found the drain (too late) they said they could not use that as it was too high to be useful as a drain. I explained about the siphon pump that I was told to use and they said they did not have one.
Bottom line here, I'm (thus far) satisfied with the finished product, just sorry that I had to sit around for an extra four hours.

obviously a little late but i am guessing for what they charged you, you could have bought the air wrench an had it for next time or other projects ..... hate when a mechanic cant listen to a customer... especially when you had already been under it an found the plug...

obviously a little late but i am guessing for what they charged you, you could have bought the air wrench an had it for next time or other projects ..... hate when a mechanic cant listen to a customer... especially when you had already been under it an found the plug...

No actually the price they quoted up front, one hour labor and parts (I provided the fluid) was the total amount minus $20 for the wait. So the actual cost was $80. Now while I am not thrilled with the wait, I am happy (so far) with the end result. I would still take the trike there for future work BUT...I would make certain they and I were on the same page with what/where/how etc.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png