Decision Time DFT vs Motortrike

waldo

Mar 31, 2016
Minnesota
Guys i have appreciated all the input you have given me during my search. I have narrowed it down to 2 trikes both gold wing 1500 1995 and 96. 96 is DFT independent suspension and listed as power assist steering i assumed raked but owner was not sure other is 95 motor trike indy suspension not raked Dft trike is a little less I cannot test drive until i put hand shifter etc. on would like input as i do not know much about D.F.T. opinions are welcome I am going for one or the other as I have chosen indy suspension and these 2 are only ones in my price range

Guys i have appreciated all the input you have given me during my search. I have narrowed it down to 2 trikes both gold wing 1500 1995 and 96. 96 is DFT independent suspension and listed as power assist steering i assumed raked but owner was not sure other is 95 motor trike indy suspension not raked Dft trike is a little less I cannot test drive until i put hand shifter etc. on would like input as i do not know much about D.F.T. opinions are welcome I am going for one or the other as I have chosen indy suspension and these 2 are only ones in my price range

Paul the DFT and Motor Trike have both been around a long time. Here is a link to DFT's web site. http://www.dfttrikes.com/ and here is Motor Trike's http://motortrike.com/. Check out the two kits and see what you will be getting. I don't believe you would be disappointed by either choice as long as they are mechanically sound. I do suggest you put the rake kit on the Motor Trike right away. Some think you don't need it but that is a very small minority. :xszpv::xszpv:

I had a 96 Goldwing/DFT trike. Loved it. Never a problem.
Well, maybe one problem. Me, I sold it.
Either trike will probably serve you well. I like the look of the DFT better.
Did MT make an independent suspension kit for the 1500?

I sold my 02 DFT in Oct. of last yr after ridding it since 08. In my mind, DFT is one of the three best conversions on the market. If you do some research you will find that the kit is patented and everything with the exception of four u joints and a few brgs. are either Honda or made specifically for the DFT kit. It is not an automobile drive train conversion as many are. Another very important consideration in my mind is that the DFT is an independent suspension while the Motortrike is solid axle. Another major consideration for me is the customer service. While I know MT is great DFT is the best I have seen anywhere. Where else can you call and most times request to talk to the owner and designer and he comes to the phone? I will finish by saying I owned a 1500 MT and an 02 DFT. I realize that the 1800 is a different animal but the conversion for the 1800 is basically the same as the 1500 and the DFT was by far the better conversion.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions and advice as I made the leap back into Trike land . I too think that there are many great trikes out there with some minor things that may suit individual riders better than others . In the end I went with a local Trike company that has excellent service and are some of the best people I have known. So I will be getting a 95 Gold Wing 1500 with Motor Trike (I believe it's considered a ladder bar type suspension). Anyway I am looking forward to getting back on the road in about 3 weeks!

Another very important consideration in my mind is that the DFT is an independent suspension while the Motortrike is solid axle.

The MT 1500 is an independent also

- - - Updated - - -

One thing not mentioned is thet the DFT conversion is reversible...IE there are no brackets cut and you can turn it back into a 2 wheeler if you so desire

The MT 1500 is an independent also

- - - Updated - - -

One thing not mentioned is thet the DFT conversion is reversible...IE there are no brackets cut and you can turn it back into a 2 wheeler if you so desire

If the Mt conversion was a 95 or 96 it was a solid axle. MT did not make an IRS then. Sorry about the wrong quote.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png