2005 88" Cam chain tensioners

Reaction score
I have an 05 Ultra Classic/lehman with 42,xxx miles on it. Talking to a friend on a ride today and he said Harley had cam chain tensioner problems with the 88" motor and I should get it checked. About to go to Myrtle Beach for the month of May and bike week so should I get it checked or will it wait till my 50,000 maintenance?
Thanks in advance.

I have an 05 Ultra Classic/lehman with 42,xxx miles on it. Talking to a friend on a ride today and he said Harley had cam chain tensioner problems with the 88" motor and I should get it checked. About to go to Myrtle Beach for the month of May and bike week so should I get it checked or will it wait till my 50,000 maintenance?
Thanks in advance.

IMO,you are playing with fire even with your present mileage. I would get them inspected,now.

I'm a huge Harley fan, but I say NEVER depend on luck with late models.

I would strongly recommend checking them now. 42,000 miles is a lot on the old style Harley chain tensioners. I checked and replaced mine on my 2005 Harley at 27,000 miles. They were 3/4 worn. If they come apart then you have some serious money in repairs involved.

Sunman

I have a 01 with 30k on it and checked it when I reworked the cam. The tensioners were only worn 1/4 of the way but I had already bought the Screamin Eagle Cam Plate with Hyd Tensioners on it to install so that was what I did. The SE upgrade also has an upgraded oil pump on it. Now you can throw this option into the mix! But you need to have them checked, and if they are worn evenly, you might just replace them, but upgrading is the best way to go with the SE kit or changing the cam out to gear drive.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/se-hydraulic-tensioner---oil-pump-upgrade

I have a 01 with 30k on it and checked it when I reworked the cam. The tensioners were only worn 1/4 of the way but I had already bought the Screamin Eagle Cam Plate with Hyd Tensioners on it to install so that was what I did. The SE upgrade also has an upgraded oil pump on it. Now you can throw this option into the mix! But you need to have them checked, and if they are worn evenly, you might just replace them, but upgrading is the best way to go with the SE kit or changing the cam out to gear drive.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/se-hydraulic-tensioner---oil-pump-upgrade
ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

Look at your oil filter

I agree with the previous posters...change them out now. 35K is the most often reported mileage for replacement. When you change the oil, cut the old filter in half. Orange specks indicate the tensioner shoes are wearing down and will come apart soon.

Thanks in advance.

You almost need a flexible bore scope in order to inspect the inner chain tensioner, and replacing them involves removing the cams. You might think about a cam and lifter change at the time for performance improvements. I would not install the replacement stock tensioners instead go for the SE hydraulic cam plate and oil pump.

You almost need a flexible bore scope in order to inspect the inner chain tensioner, and replacing them involves removing the cams. You might think about a cam and lifter change at the time for performance improvements. I would not install the replacement stock tensioners instead go for the SE hydraulic cam plate and oil pump.

Well I'm 72 so if I replace with stock tensioners they will probably last me till I have to stop riding. I usually ride 5,000 miles or less a year. With the savings I can look into the performance improvements. How much improvement should I see with the cam and lifter change? It's a bone stock 2005 88". Any ball park on cost, work will be done at my Harley dealer? They will not be able to check it until we get back from the beach. My go to guy who is really good and a good guy said he just heard my bike running last week and he did not hear anything like a problem or he would have said something. So I will be getting it to him when we get back. Hope this doesn't bite me in the ass. Also I don't want to pay him just to check it, if he is going to be in there just replace them.
The lehman kit I have weighs about twice as much as the body on a Tri-Glide, according to my paint guy when we carried it into his shop to be painted. So with that and my wife and me on it this little 88" really works hard.

Thanks for your help, ride safe.

:Agree: 100% !!!

Roger

Well I'm 72 so if I replace with stock tensioners they will probably last me till I have to stop riding. I usually ride 5,000 miles or less a year. With the savings I can look into the performance improvements. How much improvement should I see with the cam and lifter change? It's a bone stock 2005 88". Any ball park on cost, work will be done at my Harley dealer? They will not be able to check it until we get back from the beach. My go to guy who is really good and a good guy said he just heard my bike running last week and he did not hear anything like a problem or he would have said something. So I will be getting it to him when we get back. Hope this doesn't bite me in the ass. Also I don't want to pay him just to check it, if he is going to be in there just replace them.
The lehman kit I have weighs about twice as much as the body on a Tri-Glide, according to my paint guy when we carried it into his shop to be painted. So with that and my wife and me on it this little 88" really works hard.

Thanks for your help, ride safe.

Come on guys, how bout a little help here.
Thanks

Your call .. The shoes do wear and now if you plan on keeping the bike..go for the repairs as I am sure you don't need to be stuck on the side of the road along with a large repair bill.

Do you need cams NO..If you want a little more lower end torgue then yes.

I had a 2000 FLH and had 16K and the shoes were looking pretty worn in my case.

+1

S&S Gear Drive Failure

Everything in the Cam Chest is trashed except for the Cam Thrust Plate and the Pinion Drive Gear that I was able to save. The Cams, both Cam Gears, Cam drive Gear, Oil Pump and Cam Bearings.

I spoke to Harley-Davidson to find out what would cause this kind of failure. They told me that the main cause was too much Pinion Runout. S&S says if Pinion Runout exceeds .001 you cannot expect it to perform properly.DSCN1535.JPG

The Pinion Runout in this engine is .003 so a Gear Drive Cam setup is not advisable.

CAUSE OF FAILURE:

During the disassembly I found the Rear Inner Cam Bearing had been installed improperly. Whether the Cam Bearing, Excessive Pinion Shaft Runout or a combination of both, the Inner Cam Gear lost a tooth and momentarily ceased the Cams and the Outer Drive Gear sheared the key and spun the gear 90 Degrees throwing Valve Timing Off and Leaving Exhaust Valves Open too long striking the tops of the Pistons.

DSCN1533.JPG DSCN1536.JPG

Also during inspection I found the Intake Ramp on the Rear Cam for the rear Cylinder showed unusual wear and was subject to failure in the near future. This happened to be where the bad bearing was.

DSCN1532.JPGDSCN1534.JPG

The Key sheared and allowed the gear to move 90 degrees and ceases the broken key to the shaft. The holes drilled into the cam gear were done to reduce the stress on the shaft so that I could use a puller to get it apart. Once removed I could then access the 3 bolts beneath the gear to remove the torque plate.

DSCN1530.JPG

Pete I don't know what you want for an answer. Those tensioners do wear out at about 30k from a lot of different peoples. So it is your call. With 42K on your current tension shoes and you are talking about waiting for awhile who knows when what you have will fail. What it takes to check them you might as well change them. Have a talk with your guy. You seem to respect his work and opinion. He knows your bike better then any of us do. We can not make the decision for you, just give you what has happened to us. Mine were worn on my 07 when I had it at 35k by about 80%. Good luck ride safe

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png