Ear buds

Nov 1, 2015
Grifton
Getting ready to take a trip and I am thinking about music, plus it seems my ears are rumbling after two hours. Anyone wear earbuds for music or sound deadening?

On a trip to Sturgis I had custom ear plugs with iPod connections formed into them, but you can probably make your own by doing a 'custom ear plug' search on youtube. They mellow the rumble and provides your favorite music at the same time. I have a set for music and another when I don't want to be attached to wires.

Wife and I use Sema smh-10 bike to bike communicators. They can Bluetooth to your phone and MP-3 player. I optioned for the ear bud bases. I HATE loud music (other peoples) blasting so everyone within a mile has to hear it. With the ear buds I can turn up MY music until my eyes bleed and not bother a soul.

The custom fitted ear buds are kind of pricey, so I have stayed away from them. I have a bad habit of laying them down on the seat and melting the wires on the exhaust. I use Koss ear buds, about 10 bucks at Wal-Mart, and keep a spare set in the trunk. Never had a problem (except the melting thing)

When I ride alone I don't need intercom, so for music I have an Mp3 player or my phone - both have a 32g card and the same 5400 songs. I use in-ear headphones instead of earbuds. Slight difference there - the earbuds are usually round and flat and sit against the ear canal in the outer ear, the in-ear, sometimes called canal phones, are pretty much earplugs with speakers built in. I don't get the custom molded to my ear or the the high end units as the wind, road and traffic noises on a bike/trike will always degrade the sound of music. You can get noise cancelling 'phones, but we need to hear what is going on around us for safety. The best quality sound I have gotten for the money is the in-ear canalphones. Too cheap and the sound is bad standing still, opt for the big buck units you'll never hear the quality over the road noise. $20 - $50 seems to be my beast range. I got the ones I use on the bike for about $25 at Target. I also wear a "Slicks" skull cap under the helmet, it goes over the ears and helps keep the headphones in my ears, and also helps keep them in while donning or shedding the lid.
For intercom we have Sena 20S bluetooth headsets. The Sena works for music from the phone, intercom to up to 8 headsets, and controls the phone by voice commands. They have speakers, but have a plug-in to use the canal phones/earbuds for better sound.

Thanks guys. I'll try today if the freakin' Thunder Storms stop. Ozarkryder,,,5400 songs,,really? I thought I loved music. I probably only have about five hundred on my IPod. LOL

Do you wear these with a helmet on? Looks like it wouldn't be much of a problem with one, but you never know.

We both use them with helmets. Some times when we get into areas that we aren't familiar with and I'm having trouble with the Garmin the wife gets turn by turn directions on her phone and swaps her headset with mine. She uses a 3/4 helmet some times so I know they fit under it. I use a 1/2 helmet and they stay in well.

Ear buds and custom-molded ear plugs...

I used to wear ear buds to listen to my iPod, on long rides, but often had trouble with them popping out even after changing the size of the rubber inserts that keep it in the ear canal. I recently came across a vendor at an event who makes custom-molded earplugs ($60.00). You can keep them solid to eliminate wind noise or have them drilled, like I had him do, for "communication" devices. I found that the small hole is the perfect size to fit the earbuds into, once you remove the rubber insert from the ends of the earbuds. The only down-side is that they stick out more, which would not work if wearing a helmet that covered your ears. But, if your earbuds fit well enjoy your personal tunes. Just be sure to secure the cord, by running it under your jacket/vest/shirt, so it doesn't blow around in the wind. On a final note, be aware of local laws prohibiting such devices while driving/riding.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png