Aux Fuel Tank

Cecil K5LO

Reaction score
Howdy all. I am new to this site and only two months with a Hannigan trike on a 2009 BMW K1200LT. Here is my problem. On two occasions I have over filled the main tank from transferring gas from the aux tank. Every thread I have read says that it takes up to 20 minutes to transfer fuel from the aux tank to the main tank. I have been overflowing in two to three minutes. Wonder if Hannigan has changed their fuel pump to a more efficient one. Can any of you give me some pointers as to transferring fuel. Thanks.

first off welcome aboard. second Hannigan has their own are here. Go direct and get the correct info.

Welcome aboard!!

I also have a Hannigan Aux Fuel tank. Unlike all the other posts, my gas transfers quickly.

I would recommend do not transfer fuel unless you are almost on reserve.

The following happened to me due to the function of the pump not being explained upon delivery of my trike:

About 3 hours after my trike was delivered (the first time) I took it to work. On the way, I decided to stop and top off both tanks of gas. After filling up, I noticed the light was green, which to me indicated that the pump was on.......WRONG!!!! Green means it's in a safe mode.
The way I found out is, I switched it so the red light came on, thinking it was no "off". I got on the trike, started the engine and was resetting my trip odometer when I noticed fuel gushing out from the gas cap covering the entire tank and dripping on the hot pipes. I Shut off the trike and jumped off getting ready to push it to a safe area away from the gas pumps. Even with the bike off gas was still coming out of the main tank. I them made a major mistake by unlocking the gas cap (lots of pressure had built up) The cap blew off and I was covered and dripping head to toe with gas. It also got the car at the next pump. Luck for me it didn't ignite or I would have been cooked to death.

You need to remember that the red light means pump is on and the green light means it's off.

I don't know anything about your problem, but wanted to say welcome to Trike Talk!

Oh Boy, I forgot to mention that dang one off switch. Yes, I had the same experience with the "red" for go and "green" for stop. Wonder if anyone knows if one can reverse the red and green modes? Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png