Help with engine code.

F1359816 Thank You!

Hmm, well, if that isn't a after market numbering code then it is:

F0, F1, F21966-19701300cc 40bhp DIN, 50HP SAE (only 1966 in USA, 66-70 elsewhere)

That is according to the numbering codes found on TheSamba.com

That makes that engine case a very old single oil bypass case. As you can see from the coding, if it is a U.S. engine it was only used in 1966.

Is it a single port or dual port? That would be on the intake of the heads. If it is a single tube coming up to the carb its a single port. If it has a dual looking tube coming off the heads to a rubber grommet looking piece then its a dual port head configuration.

There is a chance that it could be a later case if it was purchased as a short block:

From April of 1972 Shortblocks were sold with the VW remanufacture symbol followed by a letter. No numbers were used, you were to stamp in the old engine number.
F11300/1600
F21300/1600
DO40hp if last digit is "X"
D140hp part
AD1600
AK1967-1974 1500/1600
AM1600
AS Sometimes seen listed as Super Beetle case for 1973-onward

Yep, that has the VW emblem in front of the engine number so I'm assuming it is one of the later model cases.

Tough to tell from the images but it certainly appears to be a dual port engine.

Looks very very clean. :clapping:

Looks like a built engine to me.
The only way to truly know what it is would be to disassemble and measure parts.

Could be almost anything.

Pics of the oil pump and pressure regulator area would help identify the case.
Nothing wrong with a big oil port single relief case.

Looks like a built engine to me.
The only way to truly know what it is would be to disassemble and measure parts.

Could be almost anything.

Pics of the oil pump and pressure regulator area would help identify the case.
Nothing wrong with a big oil port single relief case.

I kind of think its a later model case that probably has the dual reliefs...........Could be wrong though. LOL

When you get a chance Dave, take a shot of the bottom part of the case. Mainly the front and back of the bottom. That will also tell us if its a dual or single relief case.

I dont see the oil regulator plug on the flywheel end.
Is a large (8mm) oil pump.

Interesting

Could be almost anything displacment wise.

But does remind me of the 1300/1500 case for a type 1

Yep, that is a single bypass case.

Looking over the images, it is pretty obvious it isn't a stroked engine. I would guess, with the dual carbs, its most likely either a 1600 or 1641.

That will still be plenty of poop for that trike. :p

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png