Could it be Coil Death? - Problem Solved!

CaveManDave

Apr 27, 2016
Spokane, WA USA
So I have the engine running pretty good when cold/warm. After the engine gets to temp, it looses all power and acts like the spark is fading, then gone. I pull over to let it cool down and if I wait long enough for the engine to cool down, It starts back up and runs, until the heat starts the circle of life and death.

Coil death?

What is a good replacement to purchase?

Last edited:
Have you opened up the distributor yet? Is it still point and condenser system or has it had the electronic ignition installed?

It could be as simple as a failing condenser in the distributor as well.

If it still has points and condenser NAPA usually carries them............

Now that I look at the distributor in the photos on the engine code thread, it appears that it is electronic ignition.

I have had plenty coils and condensers go out.
Have had them restart after cooling down also.
But.
Have never had one fade away on the power.

Fade away is normally lack of fuel supply to the carbs.

Power fading then gone. Does this mean it slows down an finally stops.doesn't sound electrical. If the engine turns check 4 spark at coil. I don't c a thermostat in ur pictures and cooling tin is also missing. If the engine is new it could b sticking a piston.

I have had plenty coils and condensers go out.
Have had them restart after cooling down also.
But.
Have never had one fade away on the power.

Fade away is normally lack of fuel supply to the carbs.

I have to agree here. Usually an electrical will work fine and then just quit.

I would check to ensure that a fuel line isn't collapsing or being blocked somehow. Maybe the fuel filter is having issues.

If this trike sat for a few years it could be either fuel line or a filter. I think I would replace all the fuel lines.

I have to agree here. Usually an electrical will work fine and then just quit.

I would check to ensure that a fuel line isn't collapsing or being blocked somehow. Maybe the fuel filter is having issues.

If this trike sat for a few years it could be either fuel line or a filter. I think I would replace all the fuel lines.

:Agree:
I had a 71 Bettle and they didn't come with a fuel filter... And after i had it for a few years i put one in , Thats when i started having the same problems... What was happening the fuel tank was rusting and the rust was blocking the filter.......

Glass fuel filter appears unclogged. I my hands under the cylinders and can feel good air flow through the fins. Am I missing some tins here?

Time to get out my digital temp gun and see what some of the the temps look like.

Thanks for your help guys!

PC230012.JPGPC230005.JPGPC230007.JPG

Ah ha, I was wondering about the deflector tins. I see them are in place on the second and third pictures. They are probably the MOST important air tins on the VW engine.

I don't think that cooling is at all your issue. I'm leaning towards the fuel delivery as SnuSnu stated.

Tell us exactly what happens. IE does it loose power and die? Or does it just loose power and start missing, running rough, or loosing one or more cylinders?

Bingo,

Or does it just loose power and start missing, running rough, or loosing one or more cylinders?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I try to remove the gas cap and try to check vacuum pressure in the tank/lines?

Bingo,

Or does it just loose power and start missing, running rough, or loosing one or more cylinders?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I try to remove the gas cap and try to check vacuum pressure in the tank/lines?

It will need a "vented" cap. I would honestly check the gas cap and make sure it is vented or if a vented cap, make sure the little vent hole isn't plugged.

Something else that I have seen many many times, the proper torque on the heads is not right. Once the engine warms up it will loose compression between the heads and the cylinders. If the builder didn't "lap" the cylinder jugs into each cylinder hole in the heads and/or the torque is not correct or loosened due to sitting for a long time, it will cause a serious compression loss between the head and cylinder.........................I have always called it "puking a head."

I have had this happen tons of times on customers bugs.

However, I would start simple first. Lets check that the gas cap is actually venting. That will also cause these issues.

Gas cap off, still came to a the same results.

Ah, I had posted before you posted this statement.

Now I would go ahead and change the fuel lines and clean the filter.

That is a bit odd that there would be a press, reg. on your carb'ed trike.:xzqxz:
Is there an electric fuel pump in place of, or in addition to, your mechanical fuel pump?
Guess its all moot now, if you're up & running again...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png