New wheel size now air pressure question

Reaction score
I went from a 16 inch wheel on the front of my 2015 tri glide to an 18 inch wheel. Can someone help me by telling me what air pressure to run on the lower profile new 18 inch wheel?

I went from a 16 inch wheel on the front of my 2015 tri glide to an 18 inch wheel. Can someone help me by telling me what air pressure to run on the lower profile new 18 inch wheel?

Run the max air pressure that is recommended on the tire itself and you'll be good. No more, no less. This applies to any front tire on a trike.

Run the max air pressure that is recommended on the tire itself and you'll be good. No more, no less.

Thanks but I can't see why running the maximum pressure shown on the sidewall would be a good idea. Isn't that pressure the very max you can safely run? No disrespect intended here but I don't think your answer makes sense. Thanks for your input though. Any other thoughts out there on my question?

Even though it's a rubberband tire with stiffer sidewall, it can still fold in an aggressive corner if not properly pressurized. Also you will feel the smallest of road imperfections. Just be aware till you get us to it.

Even though it's a rubberband tire with stiffer sidewall, it can still fold in an aggressive corner if not properly pressurized. Also you will feel the smallest of road imperfections. Just be aware till you get us to it.

Thanks 1dn5up. I was running 36 pounds in the 16 inch . does that sound about right for the 18 inch as well?

As said b4 - 32min 35 max. Plan on at least 3lb hot expansion on hot days . What do ya think Zook?

I'd run what Harley says for the cycle your tire wheel came from.

I run 36 psi cold for my front with the rear Commander II tire on it.

Bob :D

Thanks but I can't see why running the maximum pressure shown on the sidewall would be a good idea. Isn't that pressure the very max you can safely run? No disrespect intended here but I don't think your answer makes sense. Thanks for your input though. Any other thoughts out there on my question?

Its your bike, run whatever you want, but you need to know that the "max air pressure rating" on any tire is also commonly considered the recommended running tire pressure for that particular tire. Some tires use the word "max" and others do not, they will just have a cold tire pressure number and in that case, that is the number. (the word "ideal" or "optimal" would certainly be more fitting words, but I suspect manufacturers use the word "max" or "maximum" as a liability shield.

As I said run what you want, but I personally would never run less or more air in a front tire than what is stated on the tire, per the manufacturer. This is what all trike kit manufacturers and tire manufactures I have spoke with about over the years have recommended and agreed on as it pertains to trikes, so I lean on the brain trust's knowledge.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will go with the 35 - 36. Odd that harley never recommends inflating tires to the max stated on the firewall.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will go with the 35 - 36. Odd that harley never recommends inflating tires to the max stated on the firewall.

Harley also says their bikes don't run hot, their warranties are void if you install a trailer hitch even though there are factory hitch mounting points specifically for a trailer hitch, etc, etc and so on. Running the recommended air pressure stated in the Harley owners manual is a safe bet, just stick to the owner's manual and you'll be good. No disrespect intended on my end either. ThumbUp

Also, I should mention, the reason that myself and some others personally believe in running max air pressure on a trike front tire is that the tire itself is engineered as a motorcycle tire not a trike tire, except in the case of the new Avon tire which is engineered specifically for a trike. Knowing it is a engineered as a motorcycle tire, but is being used on a trike, means it is not only carrying more weight but also more sidewall load on it in turns, so it just makes sense that a little more air pressure would be better than a little less, so long as it is not more than the max recommended tire pressure. All of this is really splitting hairs, as the benefits either way are minimal. Some say higher air pressure equals better fuel economy and longer tire life, but who knows.

You do know that a tire with a rated max tire pressure of say 40psi has probably a 50% safety factor built into it,right? Since a trike doesn't lean,the front tire is subjected to a lot more lateral stress than a bike tire. Running less than max can lead to tire cupping issues.

Our trike was built originally as a bike. Its 130/70/18 front tire was designed for a bike and has the load rating for a bike. Have you compared the load ratings of the oem 16" front to the new 18"? I would almost be willing to bet the new 18" front has a lower road rating. If it does,that's another good reason to run the max pressure on your much heavier trike.

Just to give an example,the 130/90/16 Avon front tire on our Boss Hoss trike had a suggested pressure of 50psi. Severe cupping issues would result at 40psi or less.

As Zook said before though,it's your trike. If you want to wear out front tires quicker,running lower pressures is a good way to accomplish it.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png