Overdrive "off" light on dash and button on gearshift - demonic possession?

Reaction score
Overdrive "off" light on dash and button on gearshift - demonic possession?

Hi there, My 09 Stallion has either developed a quirk or become possessed.

I can be driving along and the "overdrive off" light comes on the instrument panel all by itself and the overdrive turns off...in 4th gear and higher revs immediately.

It will go off and on at will. The button has no effect at all.

Then one day, everything operates normally. I can use the button to toggle overdrive on and off.

Another day, the light comes on and stays on and 4th gear is the max it will shift. The button has no effect at all.

Then the next day, on and off at will again. The button has no effect at all.

I've tried shifting to park and then drive again...turning the trike off and then restarting...pushing the button repeatedly hoping it will magically resume working...nothing works.

I have researched on the internet and it could be anything from a switch near the gear****...make that gearshift (was that a mistype or a Freudian slip?) that needs to be cleaned to the tranny going out to the computer being confused to, I guess, gremlins (but I have a bell!).

Anybody got any ideas????

Maybe you could also go to your local parts house and have them plug in their engine diagnostic tool to check for a fault. If they don't find something, do as Ted suggested and go to a Ford dealer.

Tomg

Maybe you could also go to your local parts house and have them plug in their engine diagnostic tool to check for a fault. If they don't find something, do as Ted suggested and go to a Ford dealer.

Tomg

Or a reputable transmission shop. A lot of the transmission related codes are unique to the transmission and a lot of scanners can't break into them to check the faults. Plus, since they deal with nothing but transmissions, they may be able to point you in a certain direction just from symptoms. Just a thought?:xzqxz:

Hi there, My 09 Stallion has either developed a quirk or become possessed.

I can be driving along and the "overdrive off" light comes on the instrument panel all by itself and the overdrive turns off...in 4th gear and higher revs immediately.

It will go off and on at will. The button has no effect at all.

Then one day, everything operates normally. I can use the button to toggle overdrive on and off.

Another day, the light comes on and stays on and 4th gear is the max it will shift. The button has no effect at all.

Then the next day, on and off at will again. The button has no effect at all.

I've tried shifting to park and then drive again...turning the trike off and then restarting...pushing the button repeatedly hoping it will magically resume working...nothing works.

I have researched on the internet and it could be anything from a switch near the gear****...make that gearshift (was that a mistype or a Freudian slip?) that needs to be cleaned to the tranny going out to the computer being confused to, I guess, gremlins (but I have a bell!).

Anybody got any ideas????

For starters, I think I would get some contact cleaner and spray around inside the shifter where the switch is located.

I have a ScanGauge II and it will check the trouble codes...reports no codes found.

Will try the contact cleaner.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png