Pic Heavy 2016 Ride Report - 40 Days Following the Front Wheel

Day 5-

We left the Ozarks today, and had a bit of an adventure.

So the pics in this post will be just of today...I will catch up on the pics from the days of riding in the Ozarks soon.

Here we are this morning, packing up...

1%20Leaving%20The%20Hub_zpssifoava2.jpg

...yep, all that stuff went in the trunk and Tour-Pak, with room to spare. :)

2%20All%20Packed%20up_zps7btisnoc.jpg

We crossed into Missouri, and were soon passing thru Branson.

3%20Branson%20MO_zpseqaigvbj.jpg

About 120 miles down the road we saw a storm ahead, plus we had just got sprayed with oil by a truck, plus I felt something not quite right with the bike...

4%20Looks%20Like%20Rain_zpstovbkcwq.jpg

We pulled in to get gas, and I looked the bike over. Sure enough, the top motor mount bolt was just about ready to drop out.

5%20Motor%20Mount%201_zpspvsclv4f.jpg

We are so very fortunate that the bolt and the spacer were still there.

Cleaned them up and put them back in.

6%20Motor%20Mount%202_zpsnzcmu17l.jpg

This same bolt and spacer had fallen out when the bike was almost new. Dealer replaced it under warranty...

7%20Motor%20Mount%203_zps7bfxfp1w.jpg

...I used teflon tape AND red thread locker. I'm thinking it will hold this time...I hope!

8%20Motor%20Mount%204_zpsyrccsxuq.jpg

As we were leaving we saw the truck that had passed us and sprayed us with oil (or diesel?). Besides covering the Tri-Glide with a film of oil, it did the same to dozens of cars.

Those puddles under the truck were from the truck just sitting there...it was leaving a trail of the same along the road on the interstate.

9%20Nasty%20Truck_zps2hwm8mjh.jpg

More in next post.

Man, I hate to hear that you're having trouble. I don't see how you were able to get the wrench into that tight of a spot.

I'm telling you, the truck spraying me with oil would've really pissed me off. I would've had a hard time keeping my mouth shut and not saying something to the guy. You're a better man than I, Kevin.

Day 5 Continued-

Soon after getting back on the interstate it started raining. This is the last pic Mary took before tucking the camera away. It rained pretty good for about an hour, with the temps dropping from the low 80's to the mid 60's.

10%20Started%20raining_zpszjhrstjr.jpg

But after that the sun was back out and it was back up to 80 the rest of the day.

11%20Cloud%20Pic%201_zpsqfes9up3.jpg

Somewhere a ways back we crossed into Kansas. Lots of straight roads, but we had gotten off the interstate and were on some secondary roads that were well maintained and had some elevation changes every now and then.

Click HERE to see a short video.

A look back....

12%20Looking%20back_zpssmw0oxah.jpg

...a look to the side...

14%20shadow%20pic_zpsnkb3e1gw.jpg

...and looking ahead as I am kicking back with my calves on top of the lowers.

13%20Kicking%20back_zpsjrew6v7e.jpg

There is a WHOLE LOT of straight road in Kansas!

15%20Lot%20of%20road_zpsixedrhvp.jpg

Here we are at the Super 8 in Salina, which is where I am typing up this RR.

16%20460%20miles%20later%20in%20Salina_zpsuy4xbdyc.jpg

Kevin

Wow. Don't know if I could handle all that straight road...as far as the eye can see!! Good thing the road had those rumble strips...

I've finally found a good way to keep my shoulders and neck from hurting after twisties. I moved my backrest up a little over an inch from it's maximum recline. That has worked wonders for me. Makes it soooo much easier going through the curves.

Thanks for all the great pics!!

Wow, I can't believe the amount of oil coming out of that truck.... expesive repairs for sure but a big mess for you and Mary.

Motor mount bolt.... it seems you have had several issues with this '14 ever wish you had your '11 back.... just kidding.:)

Ride save and have fun. First thing in the morning over coffee is getting on the PC and reading your updates. Thanks DJ

Wow. Don't know if I could handle all that straight road...as far as the eye can see!! Good thing the road had those rumble strips...

I've finally found a good way to keep my shoulders and neck from hurting after twisties. I moved my backrest up a little over an inch from it's maximum recline. That has worked wonders for me. Makes it soooo much easier going through the curves.

Thanks for all the great pics!!

Cool, glad you got the triangle set up good not (hands, butt, feet) so that you can ride without shoulder pain.

Wow, I can't believe the amount of oil coming out of that truck.... expesive repairs for sure but a big mess for you and Mary.

Motor mount bolt.... it seems you have had several issues with this '14 ever wish you had your '11 back.... just kidding.:)

Ride save and have fun. First thing in the morning over coffee is getting on the PC and reading your updates. Thanks DJ

Yeah, big mess. Rain ended up washing most of it off. :)

Yeah, I've had a quite a few things taken care of under warranty on the '14, but I did on the '11 also, including a new top end.

I ride a lot, and sometime really hard, so the warranty is a good thing for me. :)

Kevin for piece of mind I suggest you do the safety wire of the bolt. I did and have not had a problem.

That is a great idea...I know a lot of folks have had problems with that bolt. I've had 6 twin cams (2 currently) and never had a problem with any of them on this bolt...except this one...twice. :cool:

Kevin

Day 6-

Leaving out of Salina KS for Denver CO.

A look back...we got a bit of a light rain as we were leaving.

1-Leaving%20Salina_zpsiarsxrig.jpg

But it cleared up nicely and was in the mid-70's.

2-Toward%20Denver%20on%2070_zpsdbvqnwmv.jpg

Somewhere along the 70 there was a mile long back up...

3%20Traffic%20Jam_zps7urvxnhd.jpg

...It was stop and go for about 30 minutes, until we got passed the 18-wheeler that had crossed the median and was facing oncoming traffic.

4%20Semi%20on%20wrong%20side_zpsg0ab3ibz.jpg

Back cruising at 80 mph. The speed limit is 75, most of the traffic was going 85, I chose 80 due to a Strong headwind...even so, we still only averaged 26 mpg.

5%20back%20cruising%20at%2080_zpsulqzodrw.jpg

Entering Colorado...

6%20Colorado_zpsa6twwabq.jpg

...it was still a lot of straight road...

7%20Still%20straight_zpsvjpoj2q6.jpg

...with a curve now and then.

8%20Curve_zpsx8jewimu.jpg

Taking a look behind us.

9%20looking%20back_zpskemjxzl4.jpg

Leaving out of our last gas stop before Denver....looks like we're headed for rain.

10%20After%20getting%20gas_zpsukaj2hpu.jpg

More in next post.

Day 6 continued-

It looks like we might be able to thread thru the rain.

11%20might%20miss%20it_zpssjhovmoj.jpg

That's looking even better...maybe just a few sprinkles...

12%20looking%20good_zpsjd5z8biu.jpg

...well, it was more than just a few sprinkles, but not bad at all before it cleared up.

14%20Little%20Rain_zpsrwirgnfm.jpg

A double rainbow off to the right.

13%20Double%20rainbow_zpsbuw1r0xb.jpg

Not clear skies ahead, but dry road and it does not look like rain....rofl

15%20Cleared%20up_zps4vvaibxe.jpg

Whoa, where did this come from?

16%20then%20this_zps7zzbwvew.jpg

Last pic Mary took before tucking the camera away from the rain AND Hail!

17%20Then%20this_zps2nauo8v1.jpg

Click this LINK to see a short video of a bit of the rain and hail we rode thru.

It was probably only 10-15 minutes...but it seems like a long time when visibility is limited and the hail is hitting your hands thru the light summer gloves. lol

Last pic Mary took of the day...camera battery was out, and we were too close to stop and change them out.

18%20Then%20this_zpsst4i8of9.jpg

It was a great ride. Tomorrow we should see some snow!

Kevin

Kevin, I don't think there is anything worse than hail or a sandstorm. But if we ride this is what the adventure gives us. Hope today is a dryer day. Be safe DJ

Looks like fun. We have serious straight roads, no green, lots of wind, sand and tumbleweeds. I can get bored real fast on stuff like that, so I take as many of the side roads as possible. If I am in a hurry, the big slab will get you there quickly. Ride safe and watch for those crazy tornadoes this time of the year. Jim

Kevin, looks like you have a good start on your trip. Hope you can get some dry pavement under you. The last trip we made thru Colorado we got into hail also, covered the road but was gone quick. Ride safe and have fun!

Kevin, I don't think there is anything worse than hail or a sandstorm. But if we ride this is what the adventure gives us. Hope today is a dryer day. Be safe DJ

Yep, hail & sandstorms can be interesting...and hurt. Today was a dryer day. Thank you!

Looks like fun. We have serious straight roads, no green, lots of wind, sand and tumbleweeds. I can get bored real fast on stuff like that, so I take as many of the side roads as possible. If I am in a hurry, the big slab will get you there quickly. Ride safe and watch for those crazy tornadoes this time of the year.

Jim

Thank you!

Kevin, looks like you have a good start on your trip. Hope you can get some dry pavement under you. The last trip we made thru Colorado we got into hail also, covered the road but was gone quick. Ride safe and have fun!

Thank you, we will. :)

Kevin

Day 7- Part I

Some of you may have read that I got some new technology that I thought would help me do my ride reports on the go, getting them done in a more timely manner....well, so far it has not worked out that way.

We'll see if I get the hang of it soon. In the meantime, this is Part I from today.

Traffic going thru Denver on the 70 this morning.

1-Traffic%20in%20Denver_zpsp7rqh6t9.jpg

Breakfast on the go, from the backrest pocket!

2-Breakfest%20on%20the%20go_zpsrngtdkwv.jpg

A look at downtown Denver from the 70 at 65 mph.

3-Downtown%20Denver%20from%20the%2070%20at%2065_zps9scc0nss.jpg

Climbing out of Denver, up into the Rockies...

4%20climbing%20west%20out%20of%20Denver_zpsn606z4x3.jpg

...wasn't long before we started seeing some snow.

5%20Still%20climbing%20starting%20to%20see%20snow_zpsjwwy5omd.jpg

Really fun road, with great views.

6%20Still%20climbing_zps2ftobuvg.jpg

Mary was already getting the photo of the snow melt when I stuck my finger out to show it to her. lol

7%20Snow%20melt_zpsbn4selfy.jpg

That is a whole lot of snow....and we're fixin to ride under it....

8%20A%20lot%20of%20snow_zpsclq7objn.jpg

....in a really long tunnel. Over 1.5 miles long, it the highest tunnel in the world, at over 11,000 feet elevation.

9%20Long%20tunnel_zpszxewmtlp.jpg

And on the other side there is More Snow!

10%20More%20snow%20on%20other%20side_zpsdowwh7cd.jpg

Will continue more of today's ride tomorrow.

Kevin

Day 7 to Moab, UT Continued-

Looking back at the snow we just traveled under!

11%20Looking%20back_zpsgjtz4clt.jpg

And there's still more ahead.

12%20Looking%20ahead_zpscloz2lng.jpg

I didn't know Mary had taken a picture of this sign....and I bet she didn't know I was wondering how fast cougars could run. hahaha

13%20lion%20tigers%20bears_zpsgbothbnh.jpg

Beautiful Country....

14%20Beautiful%20Country_zpst80ly9us.jpg

....and nice, fun roads. We're headed down now, toward the high desert. Getting close to Fuzzys' stomping grounds.

15%20Going%20down_zpsbvmyywgu.jpg

Interesting layout they put together between the canyon walls...

16%20Double%20decker%20road%20and%20train_zpsdrszxt7o.jpg

....double-decker roads on one side of the river and the railroad on the other side.

17%20Double%20decker_zps88dwrfy2.jpg

We're in the High Desert now. It was in the low 70's in Denver, and the 50's crossing the Rockies, but it's in the low 90's here.

18%20Looking%20back%20High%20Desert_zpsv2fpdvcx.jpg

A ways after Grand Junction I exited 70 to get some gas...my shift lever was not where it was supposed to be. I was still able to shift enough (sort of) to get to the gas station.

Time for Another roadside repair! Wow. More in the last 2000 miles than the last 80,000!

19%20Roadside%20repair_zpspvlnf2vy.jpg

If you've been reading some of my posts over the last year or so, you know I've been growing more and more dissatisfied with the "quality" of dealership warranty work in our area.

When I got this TG, new, the shift arm was loose on the shifter shaft. I took it in, they said the fixed it. When I went to pick it up it was just as loose.

They said it was the best they could do without replacing the shift arm. So I waited while they got a new shift arm. As you can tell by the photo below, they did not install it correctly. The bolt should not have been touching the splines, but it was and decided to start slipping. (btw, I am Not a stomper when I shift)

20%20bad%20dealership%20work_zpsiz929bdu.jpg

More in next post.

Day 7 Continued-

Since I was at a gas station in the desert, without a spare shifter shaft available, I removed the shift levers, re-installing them 180* from their original position. This gave me some good splines to tighten the shift arm onto...and I did it correctly, unlike the dealership. :) This should last a good bit, but over 50% of the splines are ruined, so I will be picking up a new shaft at my earliest possibility.

21%20Roadside%20repair_zps5fd6nxve.jpg

All better! Ready to Roll! :)

22%20RR%20complete_zpsgorxwms8.jpg

Back on the road, chewing up some miles.

23%20Back%20on%20road_zpsred6m1a0.jpg

Entering Utah...

25%20Entering%20Utah_zps9qvixxo9.jpg

....the speed limit in most of Colorado was 75, here it is 80, and most are doing 85. We settled in with the flow, and ate up a lot of straight desert road.

26%2080%20mph_zps48cyzg0l.jpg

Of in the distance it looked like there was a bit of rain....

27%20Clouds%20in%20distance_zps3p3myueh.jpg

...but where we're traveling, well, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

28%20Sun_zpskwh9z5mi.jpg

Getting close to Moab!

29%20Close%20to%20Moab_zpsssqkhkbk.jpg

Arrived & checked in at the Virginian Motel. It is an older, but nicely maintained motel, our room has a small kitchenette. This will be our home base for a couple of days as we explore the Arches & Canyonlands National Parks...

30%20The%20Virginian%20Motel_zps9ohyk8px.jpg

...after unloading & changing, we head down the street to the grocery store to get fixins for meals for a few days.

31%20Shopping_zpsu86repaz.jpg

Kevin

Last year when I got my trike back, I was heading home and went to downshift and there was no lever. Luckily, I had the full Hannigan floor boards and the leaver, bolt and washer were laying on top of it. I was able to put it on hand tight which lasted the next 5 miles or so until I got home and ad a drop or two of blue locktite and hit it with an allen wrench.

Seems that service in a lot of areas is declining.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png