Front folk springs

Reaction score
I purchased a 2007 Suzuki C-90 with a Lehman Trike Kit earlier this year. I am thinking of changing the front fork springs to Progressive springs and just had a few questions.

Can anyone tell me if the front fork springs where changed at the Lehman factory or did they leave the stock fork springs in place?

I understand that the fork springs an be changed without actually removing the front forks. Is this true and if so, has anyone actually done this?

I am open to any suggestions, comments or advice anyone wants to provide me on this topic.

I am a new trike rider and a disabled vet after a 22 year AF career.

I purchased a 2007 Suzuki C-90 with a Lehman Trike Kit earlier this year. I am thinking of changing the front fork springs to Progressive springs and just had a few questions.

Can anyone tell me if the front fork springs where changed at the Lehman factory or did they leave the stock fork springs in place?

I understand that the fork springs an be changed without actually removing the front forks. Is this true and if so, has anyone actually done this?

I am open to any suggestions, comments or advice anyone wants to provide me on this topic.

I am a new trike rider and a disabled vet after a 22 year AF career.

Why do you want to change them ???

After riding my trike for a couple of months now, the springs feel like they are a little weak and spongy. I thought that I might change them for some new progressive springs when I had the chance. Also, the head bearing seems a little loose so I was thinking of changing that to a better on at the same time. I am not sure I will do either yet or if at all, just asking the question just in case I do.

After riding my trike for a couple of months now, the springs feel like they are a little weak and spongy. I thought that I might change them for some new progressive springs when I had the chance. Also, the head bearing seems a little loose so I was thinking of changing that to a better on at the same time. I am not sure I will do either yet or if at all, just asking the question just in case I do.

Not knowing the mileage on the bike, maybe a fork fluid change is in order. The most overlooked and overworked part on a motorcycle is the front forks. Less than 10% of owners ever change their fork fluid. A slightly heavier fluid will change that sponginess. 0-10 wt is pretty standard in most forks so 0-15 or 0-20 will really firm it up. Since it is an ordeal to change the fluid I would go with the 15 wt, better too soft than too firm.

As far as the head bearing is concerned, maybe snug it up a little. I have never seen one of these fail or go bad on a C-90 other than a wrecked motorcycle.

CHANGING SPRINGS
Loosen the top pinch bolts on the tree and carefully loosen the cap on the fork. Jack the trike front end so that it is just OFF-THE-GROUND and remove the cap from one fork. I PUT A RAG OVER THE CAP TO KEEP IT FROM POSSIBLY FLYING ACROSS THE SHOP OR HITTING ME IN THE HEAD. Spring can be easily removed.

CHANGING FORK FLUID
Loosen the top pinch bolts on the tree and carefully loosen the cap on the fork. Jack the trike front end so that it is just OFF-THE-GROUND. Remove wheel and axle. At the bottom of each fork there is an allen screw that holds the fork assembly (long allen wrench required). Break it loose, one side at a time, and remove the cap from one fork. Remove the allen screw and drain fluid from one fork. Once drained, use teflon tape on the threads of the allen screw and re-install. Fill fork approx (14oz) and install cap. Do the same on the other side. Remember to re-torque pinch bolts !!

Jim,

Thanks again. Since I am now at 28,000 miles and to the best of my knowledge the fork oil has never been changed, I will change it and leave the stock fork springs in the forks.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png