Spedometer using magnet on driveshaft. Or something. Need help!!!!!

BMB Guns

Dec 29, 2015
Louisiana
Spedometer using magnet on driveshaft. Or something. Need help!!!!!

Ok. This post pertains to my deisel trike build... So, the Spicer 3053a has no output or anything for a speedometer. It's designed to feed a divorced transfer case and the speedometer is attached to it. I've seen speedometers that work with a magnet on the front wheel. I would really prefer something that would work off the driveshaft. I've seen analog, electric, GPS (not fond of the GPS idea), sending units that I have no idea what goes with what, etc. I'm totally ignorant to universal speedometers so any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Mr trike

Ok. This post pertains to my deisel trike build... So, the Spicer 3053a has no output or anything for a speedometer. It's designed to feed a divorced transfer case and the speedometer is attached to it. I've seen speedometers that work with a magnet on the front wheel. I would really prefer something that would work off the driveshaft. I've seen analog, electric, GPS (not fond of the GPS idea), sending units that I have no idea what goes with what, etc. I'm totally ignorant to universal speedometers so any help that can be provided would be appreciated.
Hello- VDO makes a 3 3/8" face speedo that works great. I have used hundreds of these in the VW application. On the VW, you JB Weld 6- 1/2" magnets on the CV joint equal distant apart then mount a sending unit so the face is within 1/4" of magnets. Run the 2 wires from the sending unit to back of speedo. Follow the directions in box to calibrate speedo to your tire diameter. This will work great as long as the 1/4" spacing is constant." Keep-On-Triken"

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png