reverse gear stuck

Jun 30, 2016
Finksburg, MD
I have a Lehman Roadking conversion with champion reverse. I was able to put in reverse but then will not shift at all. Anybody had similar problems?

I have a Lehman Roadking conversion with champion reverse. I was able to put in reverse but then will not shift at all. Anybody had similar problems?

Welcome to Trike Talk.... And more info is needed on your problem..
Is is a mechanical reverse?.. And if so did you put it in first before you took it out of reverse?
And then the gears jammed... :Shrug:

Someone with a champion reverse maybe able to help. I had a AIM reverse which is similar but it had sear pins that would break off preventing the lockup. I would suggest rocking the trike at the same time someone tries to move the lever for reverse out of gear. I would try this with the engine off. I hope you get better advise from someone that has a champion reverse.

Is is a mechanical reverse?.. And if so did you put it in first before you took it out of reverse?

yes, it's mechanical. Yes, I did put it in 1st before I tried to take out of gear. It's only the 2nd time I've used it.

Sounds like you didn't read and understand the operating instructions. Probably grenaded the reverse gear. Ouch!
http://www.championsidecars.com/uploads/5/2/6/7/5267613/reverse_6_speed_flh_09-up.pdf

Thats why Motor-Trike has a electric lock out... With their reverse you can't engage first gear while in reverse...

But if HD46MAN..The OP.. Just jammed the gears he might be able to free it by rocking the Trike back and forth.. [vigorously with help from a friend] :Shrug:

yes, it's mechanical. Yes, I did put it in 1st before I tried to take out of gear. It's only the 2nd time I've used it.

The champion reverse works with your bike in neutral. Putting it into reverse or taking it out of reverse your bike should be in neutral. While engaging, using, or disengaging reverse the bike should remain in neutral. Think about it. If you put it in first, it's now wanting to go forward and reverse at the same time and something's going to give. Some people that have difficulty engaging the reverse sometimes put their bike in first, then neutral, then engage reverse, and they say that helps free it up so it's easier to move the lever into the reverse position, but any time you are using reverse at all, your bike should be in neutral.

Thats why Motor-Trike has a electric lock out... With their reverse you can't engage first gear while in reverse...

But if HD46MAN..The OP.. Just jammed the gears he might be able to free it by rocking the Trike back and forth.. [vigorously with help from a friend] :Shrug:

Thanks, that worked! Relieved!

Thanks everybody for your input!

If it happens again I suggest that you go to the Champion Trike web site and download the installation instructions for the reverse. I didn't look but they were available for download previously. Anyway if rocking doesn't free up the lockup you can pull the trans cover and remove the middle gear that locks the other 2 gears together that provides the reverse. Then get the trans in neutral and reassemble the cover with the reverse gear.

Reverse stuck

it is a SM5. Manual transmission. It was in first gear, wouldn't shift to any of the forward gears. Finally got it to go into reverse. Now won't go into any gear.

it is a SM5. Manual transmission. It was in first gear, wouldn't shift to any of the forward gears. Finally got it to go into reverse. Now won't go into any gear.

I'm confused i guess you have a Spyder... When mine would act up [08]
Just a hair low on the dipstick [oil] would cause it. :Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png