cracked tourpak solution - maybe???

Tourpack cracked again!!

The crack busted back open this weekend, but I'm not (too) depressed about it because of what I'v learned. The tourpak is NOT made of ABS like I thought. It's a product called GTX (made of Polyphenylene Ether + Polyamide) and the products that you would use on ABS plastics will not work on this. All the ABS pieces I glued on with Oates ABS cement came loose and were not giving any support so the crack split open again. That's the bad news. The good news is there is a way to fix GTX material and hopefully not too difficult. I just found out about this, so still have some investigating to do and will let you know what I find out.

....and the quest continues

The crack busted back open this weekend, but I'm not (too) depressed about it because of what I'v learned. The tourpak is NOT made of ABS like I thought. It's a product called GTX (made of Polyphenylene Ether + Polyamide) and the products that you would use on ABS plastics will not work on this. All the ABS pieces I glued on with Oates ABS cement came loose and were not giving any support so the crack split open again. That's the bad news. The good news is there is a way to fix GTX material and hopefully not too difficult. I just found out about this, so still have some investigating to do and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks... This is what makes this forum great' People having a problem. Then doing the leg work to find a solution.. And more importantly keeping everyone updated on your progress...

ThumbUp

Is GTX one of the plastic types that can be "welded"?

Yes, that's what I've found out so far. It uses some sort of airless plastic welder. Still have to do some more research to see what all is involved. Right now all I've figured out is that I may have to router out a v-shaped groove along the crack and then "melt" the plastic stick into it. Somewhere along the line you also use some sort of mesh screen to help hold it together. It might take a while to figure it all out, but that's OK.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the lid, it's the base. Thanks for the info on where to get a new one though, but that's my last resort. Too many lights on the base that I really don't want to have to take off and put back on the new one unless my repair efforts wind up not working.

Ive BOUGHT 4 OF THESE, BEAT IT FOR THE MONEY AND I WILL BUY ONE MORE.

See all eligible items

Picture Information

s-l400.jpg

s-l64.jpg

s-l64.jpg

Have one to sell?

Sell now

Details about Motorcycle Tour Trunk w/Rack For Harley Sportster Softail Dyna Electra Road King

Email to friends

Share on Facebook - opens in a new window or tab

Share on Twitter - opens in a new window or tab

Share on Pinterest - opens in a new window or tab

Add to watch list

Seller:

tmshelmet

289987]

99.7% Positive feedback

Follow this seller

See other items

Visit store:

TMSHELMET

Item Information

Item condition: New

Compatibility:

See compatible vehicles

More than 10 available:

649 sold

List price:

$107.60

iconBubbleHelp.gif

You save:

$53.80 (50% off)

Now:

US $53.80

Buy another

Add to cart

508 watching

Add to watch list

Add to collection

A seller you've bought from
649 sold
23 inquiries

HEY ITS BEHIND ME, I CANT SEE IT, YA GET USED TO IT, AND FOR THE MONEY IM IN COMPARED TO OVERPRICED GLASS STUFF

Page 515 and beyond > https://books.google.com/books?id=AS...amide)&f=false

Bob :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png