had to replace heim joints on motor trike

3W-lonerider

350+ Posts
Reaction score
well after 130,000 miles on the trike kit and 194,000 on the bike. I finally had to replace all the heim joints. the 2 heims on the rod that hold the rear end centered had about 1/16th inch of play, which was causing a rear end wiggle anything above 60 mph.
the 2 heims that are in the front of the ladder bars had slight play in them but not as bad as I would've expected. the 4 heim joints holding the ladder bars to the rear end had a little play but also I was expecting more

the heims in the 2 adjustment rods between the ladder bars had a little play. but I really wasn't expecting any from those since there is no pressure on them. also all the bolts that hold the heims onto the rear were badly worn. and this is the third time iv'e replaced those.

ladies and gents. I'm posting this to let you know a little bit about the life expectancy out of those heims.

also to let you know if your trike is developing a rear end wiggle. I would deffinatly look at those bolts holding the heims to the rear. and your not going to see any where unless you remove that bolt and actually look at it.

the actual time of the job was around 3 hours from start to finish. but this is on a Valkyrie where everything underneath is easy to get to. it would probably take a lot longer on a Goldwing since more than likely the exhaust would have to be removed to get to the front of the ladder bars. iv'e worked on gold wing motortrikes but I cannot remember if there is enough room to get above that cat converter to the front of the ladder bars.

went for a ride afterwards and everything is solid again. and no more slight cracking noises when I'm making slow turns.

Rick, glad you got it fixed... ready for more miles now!

yep. I need more miles. rode to ocean city and back Tuesday.

left the house at 4 am. was sitting on the board walk at 8:30.

left down there at 11:00 and stopped for lunch and was sitting in my shed at 4:30.

558 miles. not bad for a days ride.

I replaced those 2 heims that keep the rear centered after we went riding with you guys the other week. cured most of the wiggle. but took notice when I was going to oc and back that if I leaned forward on my seat the trike would start wiggling.

if I sat back up it would quit. I was just getting tired of any wiggle at all. just wasn't right.

I guess in another 50,000 miles i'll order another whole set and keep them on hand for when I hit that 300,000 mile mark. if I don't order a brand new indian with a roadsmith kit on it. but i'll still keep this one. maybe someone will come out with another ecm like they did years ago so I can mount a super charger on this engine and go from 97 horse to 275.

You definitely don't let any grass grow up around your trike. It is always on the move somewhere.

We rode with a group of friends who are mainly Letterkenny retirees to Conowingo Dam and ate at a seafood place down by the Chesapeake Bay last Friday all done on two lane roads... 300 mile round trip. Then put on 200 miles riding with another couple on Sunday that invited us to an event honoring military, police, fire and EMS personnel.

replacing heim

(130,000 miles) looks like I got plenty of riding to do before I have to do mine. I've only got 36,600 miles on my 08 Goldwing that I bought in January this year. I do check here regularly to pick up information. I appreciate you sharing that information with us. Love riding my Goldwing trike but really can't see myself putting those kind of miles on mine. Bought my trike to EXTEND my riding days. (hurt to much going down with 2 wheeler-live and learn) Thanks for info.

The 2 heims on the rod that hold the rear end centered had about 1/16th inch of play, which was causing a rear end wiggle anything above 60 mph.

that is exactly what I had to replace.
Did you note that the spacer washers that hold the heim to the top of the pumpkin are different sizes than the one that is attached to the trike frame?

that is exactly what I had to replace.

Did you note that the spacer washers that hold the heim to the top of the pumpkin are different sizes than the one that is attached to the trike frame?

yes I took notice to that when I took that rod off. I thought it was kinda weird having 2 different sizes. . but then again I'm not an engineer. just someone that has turned wrenches for 45 years.

- - - Updated - - -

(130,000 miles) looks like I got plenty of riding to do before I have to do mine. I've only got 36,600 miles on my 08 Goldwing that I bought in January this year. I do check here regularly to pick up information. I appreciate you sharing that information with us. Love riding my Goldwing trike but really can't see myself putting those kind of miles on mine. Bought my trike to EXTEND my riding days. (hurt to much going down with 2 wheeler-live and learn) Thanks for info.

your quite welcome. just keep in mind. that I keep my heims lubed and I lube them once every 1000 miles.

if you don't lube them and run them dry. that time frame on longevity is not going to be accurate.

Heim joints are strong & easy to use in fabrications like MT uses them .... but they also are exposed to dirt dust and easily use up what lube they do store which ain't much. In the short distances involved in the ladder bar links and centering link, 1/16" play would result in a wiggle real easy.

Heim joints are great in an application as long as they get inspected & lubed ..... and replaced when needed.

yes I took notice to that when I took that rod off. I thought it was kinda weird having 2 different sizes. . but then again I'm not an engineer. just someone that has turned wrenches for 45 years.
Well I didnt and I kept wondering why I was getting this click when the bike moved.... Look underneath and I saw the spacer i had in my hand was larger (deeper) than the one on the bike... switcheroo, and worked perfectly...

I may not NEED them yet, but do you have any info or links for the heims you bought? Did you buy stainless or grade 8 bolts to hold them in?

I took them to Summit racing headquartered here in Akron Ohio, and they matched them up.

One word of caution.

Particularly on the cross beams...

You MUST use the style that came with the trike kit. Dont go trying to "improve" on the design by getting a better grade of heim joints. The better grade units will not have enough movement in the ball to work on the ladderbars

I dont think they are stainless

I may not NEED them yet, but do you have any info or links for the heims you bought? Did you buy stainless or grade 8 bolts to hold them in?
I bought my heims directly from motortrike. as far as bolts. yes I used a grade 8 bolt. grade 5 will bend to easy.

Has MT changed their sales process? They told me I can only order parts thru a dealer (drive shaft).

That is the change Bob. We use to be able to get pieces and parts direct from MT. Last time I talked with them (maybe four months ago) I was told of the new policy. Makes it inconvenient to say the least when the closest dealer is 250 miles away.... :xszpv: :xszpv:

That is the change Bob. We use to be able to get pieces and parts direct from MT. Last time I talked with them (maybe four months ago) I was told of the new policy. Makes it inconvenient to say the least when the closest dealer is 250 miles away.... :xszpv: :xszpv:

Well that sucks.
250 Miles OUCH.
I have 2 in town - Have to call 1st one back to get prices...
There is a 3rd one about 2 hours away. I should call them and see if they have any in stock - Road trip or ask for shipped

Same with the Stallion. They told me the same thing to order from the dealer I bought the trike from. Only problem THEY WERE THE DEALER when they had one in Daytona. I called my friends at R & R Trikes in Jasper Ga they drop shipped the order to me from the factory. Bottom line it was no different in service other then going through another person. I had my parts in 3 days so it worked out. Just the principle. But I also understand their point in trying to support their dealers. MotorTrike and Stallion are the same parent company so ant MotorTrike can get me the parts. They may not want to work on a Stallion but that's okay.

Ok, I'm new to trikes and stumped. What are heim joints and are they used on all trike kits (irs, strait axle, etc)?

James they are a fitting that screws into the end of a threaded pipe that allows a connect to be adjusted . If you google hemi joint you will see what it looks like. They are used in conversions mostly by Motor Trike. They makeup a connection piece with 3 of the joints on it that are used on each side of the axle housing to align it. They are also used on other conversions on a piece that helps align the rear housing from left to right in the frame. Harley use them on the TRI for the same purpose. Different uses in different places. A common fitting for alignment.

Thanks for the information Gorilla, will have to take a peak at them next time i'm under there.... curious now

James, here is a set for Harley Shifters

heim2d.jpg
WE used after market joints repairing automotive alignment problems for years;)

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png