ended up in the ditch this morning

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
Deer walked out right in front of me.
I swerved to a grassy area and did not realize there was a ditch there.
Could not get out of the ditch.

Had to get the Ol'Lady and son to come pull me out with the truck.
They were not to happy about getting up at 5am

I was only a mile from the house so I road the trike home.
It felt OK and I did not see any damage but I only did a very quick check (had to get off to work)
Will check it out more tonight.

I am always dodging deer around here. They are everywhere.

Deer walked out right in front of me.
I swerved to a grassy area and did not realize there was a ditch there.
Could not get out of the ditch.

Had to get the Ol'Lady and son to come pull me out with the truck.
They were not to happy about getting up at 5am

I was only a mile from the house so I road the trike home.
It felt OK and I did not see any damage but I only did a very quick check (had to get off to work)
Will check it out more tonight.

I am always dodging deer around here. They are everywhere.

Glad you are ok

People say they don't work, but I always have a set of deer whistles on my trike. Do they work, don't know, but never have had a close encounter with deer.
The only thing I can say, try them, for a few dollars at WallyWorld, you can't go wrong..If they work great, if not, you haven't spent lots of money.
I know when I am traveling and have seen deer in the fields, they don't look up for cars, but they do look up when I pass, do they noticed the whistles, they may have.
Rosy

Out here in North Jersey we call them Woods Rats... You only hit the dumb ones... In the 44 years I've live out here i took at least 8 of them out of the Gene pool.. Only lightly tapped one with a Trike.
Hit them with whistles and with out. The joke out here is that the Whistles freezes them in place so you can give them a good Whack!...:laugh:
Glad your none for the worst.....ThumbUp

I believe a lot of why I see so many dear is the time of day I travel
I am usually on the road by 5 am or so.

I think if I could wait a few hours I would not have as much of a problem. But I cant.
A few others at work that travel at the same time I do say they have been dodging them also.

They are in our yards (dont mind that to much), they eat up the garden and they are a hazard on the road.
The hunters around here need to start thinning them out.

My dog has caught a couple in the past but he is old and slow now

They are in our yards (dont mind that to much), they eat up the garden and they are a hazard on the road.
The hunters around here need to start thinning them out.

The hunting [Deer] season in my area, Is from Sept to March.. You have to take a Buck first... After that theres is no limit on does... So when the hunters are out and about' the deer hang around everyones back yards... There is less deer' But the suicidal ones, Especially during the rut will always find a willing car to send them to deer heaven....

Glad to know you are not hurt. I am not fond of deer. Yeah, the fawn's look cute ......... Then, much like our children, grow up and become a pita ...........:D

Glad you didn't get hurt and hope there isn't any damage to the trike. My wife and I are riding in the woods and lake country of Minnesota this weekend and so far today we had to slow way down for a wolf and a doe with her twins. Fortunately plenty of time to slow down before we got to close and there wasn't any other traffic to look out for.

For the most part the trike checked out fine
Going in the ditch actually did no damage

The rope I used to pull it out caused some damage to the front fender.
I have a custom fender http://www.3fowlers.com/fender.html

I can fix it though
Also I will be working on a better system to pull from the front so this damage does not happen again if I get into the same situation

Okay....that's just way too cool!!

What kind of trike do you have underneath the decorations? Is it a VW?

Also, I'm guessing your avatar is something you've fabricated.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, I just read your story. Where did you live in Kentucky? I'm in Ashland, which is located where Ky, Ohio, and West Virginia all meet.

I wish they would open deer season here in Ohio from January 1-Dec 31 and permit machine guns. They are everywhere and from August thru December it is especially dangerous. It just isn't safe riding in the evening, or early morning, or late at night. ODNR claims there are more deer in Ohio now than there were in 1750. I just can't figure out who was out counting Ohio deer back in 1750....

I wish they would open deer season here in Ohio from January 1-Dec 31 and permit machine guns. They are everywhere and from August thru December it is especially dangerous. It just isn't safe riding in the evening, or early morning, or late at night. ODNR claims there are more deer in Ohio now than there were in 1750. I just can't figure out who was out counting Ohio deer back in 1750....

Indians with abacuses.

Well Fowler, glad you were on the ball that morning or things could have been a lot different. Ever seen what a deer does to a car?

What actually happened? Were you able to turn behind the deer? Hit the brakes at all?

I've only had one deer jump out in front of me and that was back when I was still on two wheels. He landed at almost to my one o'clock position so was most of the way past me. I hit my brakes and counter-steered to the left a little and made it around him. But really slowed me down the rest of the way to work.

PC

Ever seen what a deer does to a car?

What actually happened?

PC

I hit one with my truck once. I ended up putting a expanded steel grill and a wooden front bumper on that truck after that

Ok so I was not going to tell this part but here goes.

My son was weed eating around the driveway and a rock flew up and hit my GPS.

I installed a new one and had it all mounted. First ride with it.

Going down the road looking at it longer then I should have been. Looked up and there was a deer in my path. I swerved around it into what I though was just short grass but instead it was long grass in a ditch (it was dark out)

So I still blame the deer but I guess I have to take some of the blame for not paying attention as well as I should have.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png