Aqua boards or not ?

Reaction score
Well I think I found my installer to trike my bike this winter. So the wife and I went to talk to them this past Wednesday and look at their shop. Wife liked the look of the boards on the trikes they had there. I like them without. Do you lose ground clearance with them on? Is changing the oil more difficult. I can see where they would protect your legs in a rainstorm. A lot of money to just look cool. But hey we all know if mama aint happy nobody is happy.....LOL. So please give me your opinions.

99 goldwing SE which I will trike. Phoenix kit. Thanks

I had Aqua boards on my 06 GL1800 Hannigan and really enjoyed them. Not only do they keep the rain off your legs; it also gives another place to put your feet. Also keeps a lot stuff from kicking up on your fenders from the road. Ground clearance was never a problem with bike. They boards were dead even with the frame of the bike.

Ride Safe
Nuc

I have them and like them a lot. Keeps a lot of cold wind and water off of feet and legs. More than anything I think they visually tie the front of the bike to the rear making it look like a uniform design. YMMV.

On my Roadsmith they don't affect ground clearance and do not hinder oil & filter changes at all.

Answer is yes, if they are weight bearing
Hannigan calls them Foot Fairings.
I removed my rider pegs and rest my feet on the foot fairings. 1000% more comfortable ans you can move your feet around.
Added a Kury heel rest on the right side to aid in braking.

I'm very happy I have them on my Hannigan conversion. They are weight bearing so I can stand on them. They aid in getting on and off the trike and I will sometimes stand on them at red lights. They help keep some, but not all, of the road debris off the fenders and I think they give the trike a finished look.
No issues changing oil.
I wouldn't get them if they aren't weight bearing tho.

Last edited:
Well Scott, I guess those that do not like them are not on line just yet. The Aqua Shields are not for everyone. The only negatives I can think of are that 1. Yes the way Motor Trike attaches them will reduce ground clearance a tiny bit (never rubbed except on big speed bumps) and 2. On the GL1800 the left foot got a bit warm during the hot summer rides because of less wind going by the left cylinder head. I don't know if the GL1500 left head is prone to higher operating temperature or not so I can not tell you what to expect there....

That being said, I would not be without weight baring running boards (called different things by different companies). Due to knee and hip issues I must have that intermediate step to mount/dismount the trike. As nucseal mentioned; they provide lots of foot position options. Some owners have totally removed the rider foot pegs. I needed mine but redesigned them base so I can flip the pegs up out of the way once on the trike.

The other things nucseal mentioned are also very strong positive points.

I voter for the Aqua Shields.. :xszpv: :xszpv:

I can see where they would protect your legs in a rainstorm. A lot of money to just look cool.

So--there are benefits beyond "to just look cool"? :)

I agree with your wife--get the running boards. Last night we rode the trike to dinner in shorts and shirtsleeves--it was 82 degrees. When we came home it was 68 degrees. I was glad I had my running boards keeping some air off my legs.

Well Scott, I guess those that do not like them are not on line just yet. The Aqua Shields are not for everyone. The only negatives I can think of are that 1. Yes the way Motor Trike attaches them will reduce ground clearance a tiny bit (never rubbed except on big speed bumps) and 2. On the GL1800 the left foot got a bit warm during the hot summer rides because of less wind going by the left cylinder head. I don't know if the GL1500 left head is prone to higher operating temperature or not so I can not tell you what to expect there....

That being said, I would not be without weight baring running boards (called different things by different companies). Due to knee and hip issues I must have that intermediate step to mount/dismount the trike. As nucseal mentioned; they provide lots of foot position options. Some owners have totally removed the rider foot pegs. I needed mine but redesigned them base so I can flip the pegs up out of the way once on the trike.

The other things nucseal mentioned are also very strong positive points.

I voter for the Aqua Shields.. :xszpv: :xszpv:

I agree completely with Goldrush. My wife uses the aqua shields to step on to get off the trike. You should get them and make wifey happy.

Everything said in the previous posts is spot on.

There is only other thing I might add to this discussion.

If you elect not to do the aqua shields now but change your mind at a later date and decide that you want them installed, you may find that the aqua shield finished paint color may vary from the rest of the trike color. The color match may not be exact.

This was the deciding factor for me when I purchased my conversion kit.

My thought: Go with the aqua shields now.ThumbUp

YES

You need to be able to stand on them, which I can on my 1500 Roadsmith. I took my pegs off and now I can put my feet all over the place, no boards would be a deal breaker for me. YMMV

Aqua Boards

Well I have 11 replies to say install the Aqua boards. If they are weight bearing. Which they are. And none telling me not to install them. So I guess I will be installing them. And keep wifey happy:D

Got them

I have them on my 99 Goldwing with a CSC kit and love them.

Attachments

• P3270017.JPG
    P3270017.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 207
  • WP_20150919_001.jpg
    WP_20150919_001.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 209
Maybe I'll be the only negative here for 'aqua boards'. I have a 2005 GW with a 2012 Road Smith conversion. I opted out on the boards, I did not think they were worth the cost, more difficult for oil change, getting up under the thing, just kind of in the way if you get my drift. If I stop for a traffic signal or something, I like to put my feet down to stretch my leg. I don't particular care for the 'looks', but that's just me.

I have the Aquaboards installed on a Roadsmith HT1800.

The Plus:
1.I like the looks, gives it a more "substantial", finished look, IMHO. More of an aerodynamic look to the sides of the trike. Cool....:cool:

2.Very functional as far as keeping your feet dry(er) when riding in the rain. When riding the trike home from the dealer the first time, I ran into some heavy rain (about 90 miles worth), my feet stayed dry, maybe a bit of mist. I was amazed that my pants were not soaked from the knee down! I didn't even wear the Toggs pants after that. They work! (I had no wind wings or a front fender extension installed at the time, either.)

3.The wife also likes them!

Minus:
1.Have to work around them if doing maintenance (oil, etc). On my RS, I can loosen the front bolts and drop them down slightly to get access to the cowl bolts.
Also easier if the front end is up higher. I plan my maintenance jobs batched together.

2.My trike was pre-owned, and the left side (closer to oncoming traffic?) seems to have more paint dings. Not a design problem, IMHO.

3.I had a Kuryakyn Heel/Toe shifter installed and they had to make a small cutout in the Aquaboard for the heel part to work. It is not really noticeable unless you look for it.

4.As I am inseam disadvantaged, I can't put my feet down, but hey, it's a trike!

Although working around them is a PIA at times, I'll live with it as I think their function and looks definitely counter-act the minuses.
I'd say a definite YES!

I have the Aquaboards installed on a Roadsmith HT1800.

Minus:
1.Have to work around them if doing maintenance (oil, etc). On my RS, I can loosen the front bolts and drop them down slightly to get access to the cowl bolts.
Why do you need to remove the cowl???
Oil drain bolt and filter can be accessed without removing cowl.

Why do you need to remove the cowl???
Oil drain bolt and filter can be accessed without removing cowl.

Another great bit of info you can learn on this board. ThumbUpThumbUp(Cuz the videos said to remove it??? :xzqxz:)
I do need to play with foglight aim, coolant change, other stuff.)

CSC calls them ground effects, some call them Aqua boards, whatever, they are great to have. A trike without them just looks like a motorcycle with a fat ass rear end, IMOP.:)

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png