Has anyone put taller apes on his or her Freewheeler?

Good afternoon, all.

I have all but pulled the trigger in my indecision between the Tri Glide and Freewheeler. The lighter weight and sportier look of the Freewheeler just keeps calling to me. What can I say? I'm a sucker for style. :D I would like to change to taller handlebars when I make my purchase, however. Nothing ghastly, maybe just an inch or two. I like the looks of the Harley Cutter bars but the website doesn't indicate they are available. I know I've seen pictures of them on Freewheelers, though. With that being said, has anyone put taller bars, say 13" or 14", on his or her Freewheeler, and, might anyone know if the Cutters designated for another model will work on the Freewheeler?

Thank you much in advance.
Aaron

Good afternoon, all.

I have all but pulled the trigger in my indecision between the Tri Glide and Freewheeler. The lighter weight and sportier look of the Freewheeler just keeps calling to me. What can I say? I'm a sucker for style. :D I would like to change to taller handlebars when I make my purchase, however. Nothing ghastly, maybe just an inch or two. I like the looks of the Harley Cutter bars but the website doesn't indicate they are available. I know I've seen pictures of them on Freewheelers, though. With that being said, has anyone put taller bars, say 13" or 14", on his or her Freewheeler, and, might anyone know if the Cutters designated for another model will work on the Freewheeler?

Aaron

I added Roadking tallboys to mine. Brought them a little taller, back and closer together.

Very happy with them. image.jpeg

I added Roadking tallboys to mine. Brought them a little taller, back and closer together. Very happy with them.

Could you take a side view from a little further back and post? I am wanting to change mine this winter. Also, what else did the have to change to install them?

bars

how high are your tallboys and did you have to change cables, wires ext

Tallboy bars

Could you take a side view from a little further back and post? I am wanting to change mine this winter. Also, what else did the have to change to install them?

Here is a comparison. I am 5'4, have a Mustang reach seat, and adjustable clutch and brake levers. My husband, Jim, is 6'2 and the seat is too forward for him so his hands aren't positioned correctly. They did have to change the grips since they're glued on. I hope this helps. Also, back to the original poster. I had a stage 1 exhaust system installed because the heat on my right leg was almost unbearable. The cost was around $1300 and I wish I had included it in my loan.

Just some food for thought.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

how high are your tallboys and did you have to change cables, wires ext

I stand corrected.

My husband compared the stock bars with these and they are the same height. They are pulled back more and closer together. Wire and cables did not need to be changed.

I assumed they were taller because, hello, tallboys!

Tall bars for Freewheeler

Otis at sunrise best copy 3.jpg When I got Otis in October of 2014 there were no bars in the aftermarket designed for the FLRT so we had to improvise a bit. We found a set of 19 inch apes that, when laid back, fit perfectly. I've put 29,000+ miles on Otis with these bars and they are perfect. I lean against my backrest and the grips are perfect. The installer/dealer and I were both amazed it required a set of 19 inchers to do the job but that's what it took.

Good afternoon, all.

I have all but pulled the trigger in my indecision between the Tri Glide and Freewheeler. The lighter weight and sportier look of the Freewheeler just keeps calling to me. What can I say? I'm a sucker for style. :D I would like to change to taller handlebars when I make my purchase, however.

Nothing ghastly, maybe just an inch or two. I like the looks of the Harley Cutter bars but the website doesn't indicate they are available. I know I've seen pictures of them on Freewheelers, though. With that being said, has anyone put taller bars, say 13" or 14", on his or her Freewheeler, and, might anyone know if the Cutters designated for another model will work on the Freewheeler?

Aaron

...Also, back to the original poster. I had a stage 1 exhaust system installed because the heat on my right leg was almost unbearable. The cost was around $1300 and I wish I had included it in my loan. Just some food for thought.

The heat is the only reason I have intently considered a '17 with the 107, Kristie. The cooler running of the 107 makes me waffle between saving with a leftover or riding comfort. My inability to make a quick decision is often times maddening.

My only hesitation with doing a stage one one a brand new bike/trike is if you have it dyno'ed which I am a huge fan of over canned tunes you really do get more power and cooling with a custom dyno tune. The issue is you are beating the piss out of a brand new motor, I would rather run it stock for 1k then stage one.

Hrolfr, those look sharp! My salesman texted me this morning saying the 14" Chizel bars (posted Cutter originally and incorrectly) won't work on the Freewheeler, but part 56942-10B will. Looked them up and it shows them as 16" Fat Apes. I'm really liking the look of them and may go that route.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 39029 When I got Otis in October of 2014 there were no bars in the aftermarket designed for the FLRT so we had to improvise a bit. We found a set of 19 inch apes that, when laid back, fit perfectly. I've put 29,000+ miles on Otis with these bars and they are perfect. I lean against my backrest and the grips are perfect. The installer/dealer and I were both amazed it required a set of 19 inchers to do the job but that's what it took.

I tell ya, Otis, your FW looks sweet! 19" would likely be too much for me, though as I only stand about 5'9". I'm hoping the 16" my dealer is offering will work for me. The stock just feel too low, even for a short guy like me.

Hrolfr, those look sharp! My salesman texted me this morning saying the 14" Chizel bars (posted Cutter originally and incorrectly) won't work on the Freewheeler, but part 56942-10B will. Looked them up and it shows them as 16" Fat Apes. I'm really liking the look of them and may go that route.
Check the prices, the bars I have are Big Twin Peaks from LA Choppers, page 1029 in Drag Specialties Fat book, they cost me right at $260.

And thank you.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png