Head lights

May 18, 2010
Molino, FL for now
In the past I have read that the headlight for the Stallion is (along with the horn) a weak spot on this vehicle. Has anyone come up with a fix that has dealt with it's shortcomings?

I know there are different bulbs available and some probably drive with the foglights on at all times...but at night has anyone found a fix that gives a lot greater visibility than the current stock light does?

Dennis

09 dtg KAF
13 dtg Dubai
14 dtg Home
35 dtg London

One other thing, since those headlights sit right over the front wheel...has anyone had any problems with, what I would imagine, a lot of water being thrown up while riding/driving in the rain? I was just wondering if that may affect the headlights since they appear to be open looking at it from the rear with the hood up. It doesn't look like they are in a "housing" if you know what I mean.

Dennis

09 dtg KAF
13 dtg Dubai
14 dtg Home
35 dtg London

I have an 09 Stallion, and personally I think the headlights are just fine. They are definitely better then the one on my Softail. I was coming back from the coast in the evening (2 hrs in the dark) and i though the headlights were going dim. When i got home the hole front end of the Stallion was covered in bugs, big bugs, bugs were baked on the headlights. I'd like to see a Lexan cover for the headlights that conforms to the body. (Anyone know how to make one?)

I have not had the opportunity to ride in the rain yet.

Bill

No probelm with the new stallions. I also added hyper whites to my wifes. I put them in the vent area, they are really bright and give the stallion some width in apperance as a car approaches it.

Look around on the addons, I copied some one else. I also added a set of rear hiper lights right beside the roll bar.

We are having problems with my wife's stallion blowing the dim (H9 bulb). We have replaced it three times and we can't find anyone close that will work on it. Thoroughbred is working with us trying to find someone close to us but so far no luck. We test drove ha! (rode) one 7-hours away and bought it 5.5-hours away.

We have Unit 406 with the newer lights and they are much much better than what was on Unit 175.

metalman sounds like the bulb is getting to hot. Are you changing the bulb yourself? If so make sure you do not touch the glass part of the bulb. The oils on your fingers causes hot spots on the bulb. Good luck on finding a cause.

So it appears from the 09's on the headlights have been improved...that is good news. Tmigala, that is good advice on not touching the bulbs...I believe I have read that before, thanks for bringing that up, a lot of people probably don't know that tip.

Dennis

08 dtg KAF
12 dtg Dubai
13 dtg Home]
34 dtg London

I have #538 which is an 09.

I had a low beam go out on me about 2 weeks ago, it is fun trying to find an H9 bulb and I got one for $15. I would look for one now before you have to so that you would have a spare. it would be easier to go on-line and look for "H9 light".

and yes water will be thrown up on the relay above the 2 lights, I hit a BIG water spot covering the road doing 70MPH and hydro planed and therefor threw lots of water on the lights and relay.

I say this because I had to replace the relay today to get the low beam light to work again.
with the light switch off or on the parking light position you have 8 to 10volts going to the low beam.
with the light switch set to headlight position you will have 12+volts to the low beam. the hight beam when on always has 12+volts on it.
I say this so that you may use logic and see that during the day time you should not turn on the low beam to the 12v position, at night yes, and with the reduced voltage on the low beam it should last a lot longer.
I put lots of tape around the bottom of the relay and the socket to reduce this problem.

I have over 28,000 miles on the Stallion and have been in the rain lots of times but going through the big puddle and hydro-planning was too much.

I still got water up thru the front windshield vent, so I 'm not so sure it is worth it yet. I just added a 6" piece of plastic ( from a storage tote) to the front of the front fender to see if that will help. The only problem is I have to wait until I get caught in the rain !!!
Tomg

I can see why you might be a little hesitant to "test" it out.

One other thing to go along with the streamlined look of the Stallion...I am surprised that TMS didn't make a headlight cover to keep the flow going from the front of the hood all the way to the windshield....seems like it would help the gas mileage a little bit as well if it didn't have that "opening" catching the wind right in the front...just a thought.

Dennis

06 dtg KAF
10 dtg Dubai
11 dtg Home
32 dtg London

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twagoner

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twagoner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png