The ride's too hard

gareth323

Aug 18, 2009
Preston - England UK
Hi all:
I own a Champion Electra Glide 2001 kit and for the past five or six years have put up with 'Her Grumbleness' on the back complaining about the ride being very hard, and how it was much softer when it was a bike. She's just started riding it herself and I've started sitting on the back and I have to admit that she was right (But don't tell her I said so) - The ride on the back is way too hard. Does anyone else suffer from this and is there anything I can do.

I've depressurised the shocks to try to make them softer and I've replaced the oil in them but to no avail. Please help my poor aging butt from getting a further bruising by telling me some tips on making her a bit more comfortable to ride. If I ride over a penny I can tell whether it was heads or tails - that can't be right. Is there a set of replacement shocks which would make a difference on a trike - HELP!!

Happy riding to you all :)

If you were fine in the captains seat, but hurtin' in the mate's seat, maybe it's the seat(??)

I don't know your bike or kit, or whether or not the kit came with upgraded seats. What I DO know is that if it's the seat, no matter what you do mechanically to adjust the ride isn't going to help one bit.

My wife complained of the same thing (along with several thousand other things). I damaged the shocks (trikes don't take jumps well) and finally replaced them with a set of Progressive coil overs. These softened the ride up and she says that it is a much better ride for her.

Thanks for all the info; I've tried different seats and it's just the same; in fact my current seat is full of gel so should be just fine. I'll try some progressive shocks and see if that works. If it doesn't then I'll see if I can grow a fatter butt. The problem is that if I hit a raised manhole cover or a sizable bump in the road (and England is just full of them) then it nearly throws the pillion over the riders shoulders. As a bike it used to just absorb the bumps - You only feel it however on the back.

As for the comment about women always being right - Can I take a rain check on that one

What do you have for rear air pressure? lower it to 17 - 20 pounds. My wife will not ride on the two wheel EGLIDE any more She claims it rides to hard compared to the trike.

Wow, complaining for 5 or 6 years,, bummer for her..

I am new to a trike and have a Harley seat on mine, which was fine before on 2 wheels, now however it is horrible. Some friends of mine have also suggested different shocks, if you do so, please let us know if it helps..

I agree with Road Dog. Lowering your rear tires air pressure will effect the most dramatic change that can be had on your trike. Take her down to 17lbs and work from there. You may still need a shock replacement too and progressive are the best of the not too pricey.

Gareth and Stormy....DEFINITELY drop your rear tire pressure before trying anything else. I can't begin to tell you how much more comfortable my ride is at 17 psi than it is at a higher pressure!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png