Receiver Hitch Cooler Rack

trikerjb

Sep 26, 2010
Fayetteville, AR
Has anyone used one of those cooler racks on your TG? The ones that slide into the receiver opening for the trailer hitch. Wondering about weight limitations... quality... etc.

JB

Best thing to do if you are afraid of a warranty issue is leave the bike stock. Guess what I know quite a few people that have done just that and with over 40/50 k on there bikes and not one issue.

ATV Racks elevated

The ones for ATV's or ones for Jeeps small ones would work great! just sayin (and this from someone with no hitch) just sayin:Shrug: Ride safely Fred

You might have issues with the exhaust blowing directly on to it.

Bob :D

And don't forget about possible warranty voiding issues if certain dealers see a receiver hitch.

I was at a dealer yesterday and they had a couple of take off tour packs, I thought it would be a good little extra space for long trips. Just put it on a receiver hitch and away you go. I mentioned this to the service manager and he said that the dealer would not install the hitch and it was a good idea to not show up and need service with the hitch, especially the tour pack attached to the hitch. He is a good friend and I thanked him for his honest comments. Jim

Has anyone used one of those cooler racks on your TG? The ones that slide into the receiver opening for the trailer hitch. Wondering about weight limitations... quality... etc.

JB

Yep, I have one for my '13 TG. Have a flag holder that was made to fit the "slide-in" on receiver. Never have had a problem (knock on wood) by any dealer regarding the hitch....it's for PGR 3x5 flag.

I bought and modified a luggage carrier from HF. Used it to haul all my camping stuff to Sturgis this year. Worked great.

8~\o

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 408
I bought and modified a luggage carrier from HF. Used it to haul all my camping stuff to Sturgis this year. Worked great.

8~\o

What mods did you perform? I'm thinking the receiver would need to be angled up to raise the carrier-- try to avoid some exhaust heat, as HDBOB noted.

JB

What mods did you perform? I'm thinking the receiver would need to be angled up to raise the carrier-- try to avoid some exhaust heat, as HDBOB noted.
JB
Cut the width down quite a bit. Think it was around 18". Originally it hung out side the rear fenders. Now fits inside them nicely. It comes with 2 1/2" receiver adapter. I modified it to work with the smaller receiver. Picked up a 7" receiver hitch adapter from EZTrailrr raising it 6" above the rear bumper. All totaled it weighs right 20#, loaded with tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, 1 gal Reda gas can of fuel. About 35#. I use to run 32# tongue weight with my BushTec.

8~\o

Got a request for more pics..

Attachments

• carrier 1.jpg
    carrier 1.jpg
    986.2 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    828.9 KB · Views: 268
  • carrier 3.jpg
    carrier 3.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 263
Yep, I have one for my '13 TG. Have a flag holder that was made to fit the "slide-in" on receiver. Never have had a problem (knock on wood) by any dealer regarding the hitch....it's for PGR 3x5 flag.

Can you recommend a good flag holder and trailer hitch like yours and where to get it?

I want to do the same thing (Fly a PGR 3x5 flag).

Thanks!

I bought and modified a luggage carrier from HF. Used it to haul all my camping stuff to Sturgis this year. Worked great.8~\o

While I like the looks of that installation, does the lever effect of the weight hanging off the back have any effect on steering. :confused:

Can you recommend a good flag holder and trailer hitch like yours and where to get it?

Check with Rivco, they make an excellent hitch for the Tri Glide.

I used the same Harbor Freight rack. The orange corner pieces make it very easy to modify both the width and the depth. I had a custom hitch made, mocked it up in wood first after hearing the CSC hitch was flimsy. I went with a standard 2" receiver since there are more options for drawbars. I even found a plug in with a large loop, makes tying down the trike on a trailer a piece of cake.

I did remove the section nearest the back of the trike. I have a softcase that fits right into the space and it doesn't mess with the lower trunk hatch.

Watch for sales and the 20% off coupon, I got mine for under $70.00.

While I was in Seattle and bought my first trike there(due to hip surgery) the sevice manager told me the only mod that would void the warranty would a trailer hitch.

Be careful what dealership you have work done after you add the hitch receiver.

RIDE SAFE and RIDE FREE!!

Ken

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png