Upgrade options ??

alwrmcusn

Mar 14, 2013
Rockwood, TN
I have a 2009 RSV Hannigan trike, with auxiliary fuel tank.
Other than normal wear/tear items...tires, oil, filters etc, what are some of the things that other owners suggest I consider having done to keep it going for a few more years?
1. Front forks, rebuild? if so what or who makes the kit/springs etc? I tend to prefer a less spongey ride but don't want a bone shaker either.
2. Carb rebuilds??
3. Barnett clutch currently installed (two years old), should it be redone?
I am considering have foot fairings installed also.

I have a 2009 RSV Hannigan trike, with auxiliary fuel tank.
Other than normal wear/tear items...tires, oil, filters etc, what are some of the things that other owners suggest I consider having done to keep it going for a few more years?
1. Front forks, rebuild? if so what or who makes the kit/springs etc? I tend to prefer a less spongey ride but don't want a bone shaker either.
2. Carb rebuilds??
3. Barnett clutch currently installed (two years old), should it be redone?
I am considering have foot fairings installed also.

First off how many miles do you have on it....:Shrug:

JMO: Mileage would have no bearing on it. But...currently about 55K.

Well if you said you had 20k Then i would have said your front forks should be ok. Likewise the Carbs should be ok, And the barnett cluch should be ok... So mileage sometimes has bearing [JMO]...
Just saying... :Shrug:

Wondering if perhaps my reply might have been thought "snarky". It was not intended that way.
The mileage to me is not a factor because....
My front forks are ok, I just prefer a stiffer ride. That would be at 5 miles or 100K.
I would prefer fuel injection but personally find no problems with carbs. This one would have a mileage consideration and with a 2009 ride I personally think a good preventive maintenance would be in order.
The Barnett clutch is apparently in good condition but still is a relatively cheap upgrade...probably just the springs.
I'm pretty sure I need new coolant plugs and they are not very expensive and should be easy to replace.
Considering Hannigan foot fairings and no mileage considerations there (smile).
New braided cables would be a nice option also.
A new fairing front piece and a new paint job?
I've considered driving lights, but rarely, very rarely, night drive so they have been a low priority for me.
If I invest $5-6K into the machine which Hannah and I really love!, I'm just thinking if that would be a problem if something major happened in a year or so. Of course anything could also happen to a brand new ride.
At this point it is all just questions and thoughts.

If you like your trike then I would suggest refreshing it up. The front suspension can be inproved by just putting 20 weight oil instead of regular fork oil which is 5 to 10 weight. Good luck with what you decide to do.

Its a Venture! Just take care of the basics and it will last for ever. Heck, with 55k miles it's just broke in. Add some bling and enjoy the ride.

If you're wanting a stiffer ride changing fork oil is a start or perhaps some progressive springs. Or straight pressure Sonic springs.

Running boards are a nice option. They keep a lot of water off you and passenger. They do make it a bit more awkward backing the bike up. Due to them attaching to the crash bars no worries of them flexing with foot rests added.

But adding in Hannigan's reverse kit solves that. I loved having reverse when I had my 09.

Adding stainless steel brake cables improves braking.

I didn't add driving lights to the 09 instead added custom dynamics led bulbs to the turn signals in front. When in running mode the were white then yellow in flashing mode. Quite bright too. Then I upgraded the headlights to hid.

The extra brightness offset not having driving lights.

Thus my .05 worth, Larry

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png